ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Charleston Food, Drink and Activities
blake5676 11:30 AM 06-28-2017
Who's been? Who lives there? What am I an idiot if I don't do/try?

Going to Charleston mid-August (hot and humid, I know) with the wife for 3 days. Nothing set on the schedule yet, but neither of us have ever been and always heard awesome things about the town. We're into old historic charm and architecture so I'm sure we'll do all that. We also like to eat and drink large quantities of booze.

Staying at the Francis Marion in old historic district. Plan on walking everywhere but not opposed to getting Uber/cab and going somewhere further if there is reason for it. Hit me with some can't miss food or activities....thanks in advance!!
[Reply]
Why Not? 11:42 AM 06-28-2017
One of my favorite cities in the country. My folks live half the year about 5 minutes from Marion Square. Hominy Grill is a must. Rue De Jean is a bit upscale but pretty damn good. Mellow Mushroom(make no mistake it is better in the south). Paolo's Gelato is probably the best gelato I've ever had. I also love Shem Creek bar and grill. Little place right on the water. Mellow vibe, good seafood
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:44 AM 06-28-2017
Be sure to go to a Charleston dance club. They're the cat's pajamas.

Other than that, I enjoyed my only visit there 20 years ago, but I suspect my restaurant recommendations would be stale. It was fun to walk around the old part of the city, and we did a couple of plantations tours that were nice and did some historic home tour of a place where George Washington visited once.

via GIPHY

[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:46 AM 06-28-2017
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Be sure to go to a Charleston dance club. They're the cat's pajamas.
You're a real root toot and a choo-choo Charlie.
[Reply]
Why Not? 11:46 AM 06-28-2017
If you guys are in to this sort of thing, they do a ghost tour that is kick ass. Very cool aquarium not far from you and tons of old plantation homes you can tour. They let gators live wild on some of those plantations so those are reall cool to see. Not sure if the outdoor market runs that late in the year(we go visit every spring)but it's 2 minutes from your hotel and is awesome. Beach should be nice in August, ocean temps may be ideal. Take a boat tour of Fort Sumter if you love history. Charleston Museum, again a few minute walk for you, is very cool as well
[Reply]
Chief_For_Life58 11:49 AM 06-28-2017
charleston is awesome! gotta be one of the coolest cities in the nation. just walk around some of the streets. awesome old architecture.

Eat at Halls steakhouse if you like steak. Amazing meal. Probably the best steak ive ever had. Its rated number 1 steak house in the US on yelp.

167 Raw was amazing. Lobster rolls and oysters.
[Reply]
Why Not? 11:49 AM 06-28-2017
Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58:
charleston is awesome! gotta be one of the coolest cities in the nation. just walk around some of the streets. awesome old architecture.

Eat at Halls steakhouse if you like steak. Amazing meal. Probably the best steak ive ever had. Its rated number 1 steak house in the US on yelp.

167 Raw was amazing. Lobster rolls and oysters.
I second 167 Raw. My wife's favorite
[Reply]
Chief_For_Life58 11:59 AM 06-28-2017
Watch out for the large stone cubes in front of the old civil war houses. They are probably about 3 feet x 3 feet x 2 feet cubes of stone. Try and figure out what they were used for when you see them and then let me know! I couldnt figure it out then my friend who lives there told me. Cool historical stuff.
[Reply]
blake5676 12:14 PM 06-28-2017
Thanks for the replies fellas! We've already got 167 Raw, the aquarium, AikenRhett and Nathaniel House tours on the schedule. Also Hominy Grill and Brown Dog Deli.

Hoping to get the feet wet at the beach for part of one day, and based on what I've read about the humidity and temp in August it might be more than once.
[Reply]
blake5676 12:15 PM 06-28-2017
Watch out for the large stone cubes in front of the old civil war houses. They are probably about 3 feet x 3 feet x 2 feet cubes of stone. Try and figure out what they were used for when you see them and then let me know! I couldnt figure it out then my friend who lives there told me. Cool historical stuff.
I think I know what you're talking about. Are they stepping stones for women/children to get into buggies?
[Reply]
OmahaChief 01:03 PM 06-28-2017
Were they auction blocks?
[Reply]
OmahaChief 01:05 PM 06-28-2017
Wife and I ate at Hall's Chophouse about a month ago. It was outstanding. We then went to a bar called Gentry Bar. Pretty cool place with craft cocktails and their own bourbon. We also went to Prohibition which was cool. All on King Street.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 04:06 PM 06-28-2017
There is a historic civil war themed walking tour. I think it is called Oyster Point civil war history tour. It was amazing. Fort Sumter was already mentioned. I 2nd that.

Food and drink wise, Slightly North of Broad (best reuben I've ever had), Pearlz Oyster Bar, and Charleston Grill.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 04:19 PM 06-28-2017
Surprised no one has mentioned the Yorktown and Patriots Point yet. Tour the Carrier and see all the different historical exhibits.....if you are not claustrophobic tour the submarine that is also anchored there. You can also tour the USS Chaffey which is a Destroyer that is docked there.

From Patriots Points you can take a boat to Fort Sumter. If you like Fort Sumter, you can drive to Fort Moultrie.

Also...Johns Island is nearby and pretty cool to visit. There are some very cool old trees there that are fun to take pictures sitting on or have a picnic under. Visit the Angel Oak Tree that is believed to be 400-500 years old. Here is their website

http://www.angeloaktree.com/

The old Marketplace is open all the time in the summer.....a lot of local crafts there.

Walk from where you are staying to The Battery and Rainbow Row.

I second whomever talked about 167 Raw....great place!
[Reply]
blake5676 06:48 PM 06-28-2017
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
There is a historic civil war themed walking tour. I think it is called Oyster Point civil war history tour. It was amazing. Fort Sumter was already mentioned. I 2nd that.

Food and drink wise, Slightly North of Broad (best reuben I've ever had), Pearlz Oyster Bar, and Charleston Grill.
My wife told me she saw that Oyster Point tour and had it saved. We're going to book it now for sure! Probably in the morning so it's cooler out since its a couple hours long. Thanks.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up