ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Will our drafts get better or worse in the future, post Dorsey?
I think we can expect them to get better. 3 3.75%
I think they will stay about the same. 18 22.50%
I think they will get worse. 39 48.75%
CHunt had been up all night drinking Tequilla Rose with Gaz when he fired Dorsey 5 6.25%
The Denver Broncos violated the salary cap during their championship seasons, probably by collusion with the Russians. 15 18.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Will our drafts get better, post Dorsey and Ballard?
Eleazar 10:09 AM 06-28-2017
Simple question.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:10 AM 06-28-2017
Nope. Especially not post-Dorsey and Ballard.

If we're extremely lucky, they won't get appreciably worse, but that is likely being optimistic.
[Reply]
kgrund 10:10 AM 06-28-2017
Hope, but IMO not likely.
[Reply]
Bowser 10:15 AM 06-28-2017
There is really no way to tell at this point in time, but I voted no.
[Reply]
O.city 10:16 AM 06-28-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Nope. Especially not post-Dorsey and Ballard.

If we're extremely lucky, they won't get appreciably worse, but that is likely being optimistic.
See this is where the firing get weird to me. As good as they've been drafting, there had to be more than we're hearing to fire Dorsey
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:21 AM 06-28-2017
Per my draft analysis a few weeks ago, the Chiefs had the most productive drafts in the NFL during the Dorsey era. It will be almost impossible to match that, much less beat it. If I was to put odds down, I'd say a 1 in 32 chance of having the #1 ranking, so about a 3% chance that future drafts are equal or better.

I had to vote for the Broncos cheating option, by the way. I had no choice.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:28 AM 06-28-2017
Stay the same.

While many people are running around, screaming that the sky is falling, the most important factor, the coaching staff, is still in place.

Many, if not all, of Dorsey's draft picks were highly athletic, "High Ceiling, Low Floor" football players. Few had an instant impact. Most needed to be coached up for at least one full year (if not more), which has caused many Chiefsplanet member to groan ad nauseam.

The blueprint for their previous success is in place.

There's no reason to believe that Veach or whomever won't continue with the plan that's firmly entrenched.
[Reply]
Buckweath 10:41 AM 06-28-2017
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Per my draft analysis a few weeks ago, the Chiefs had the most productive drafts in the NFL during the Dorsey era. It will be almost impossible to match that, much less beat it. If I was to put odds down, I'd say a 1 in 32 chance of having the #1 ranking, so about a 3% chance that future drafts are equal or better.

I had to vote for the Broncos cheating option, by the way. I had no choice.
Yeah I just don't get it how some fans don't seem to see that Dorsey has had stellar drafts considering the picks that he had. We have had huge production from our drafts.

I could be led to believe that Veach could do the same because there is a lot more to drafting than the GM but how can you even ask the question if our drafts will get better when they have been stellar.

It can only get worse but hopefully stays the same.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:48 AM 06-28-2017
Every single first and second round pick Dorsey drafted is starting. For a playoff roster. Picking mostly with low round picks.

That is an insanely good track record.
[Reply]
penbrook 10:53 AM 06-28-2017
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Every single first and second round pick Dorsey drafted is starting. For a playoff roster. Picking mostly with low round picks.

Jones isn't and same with dee ford.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:55 AM 06-28-2017
There have been several interviews where Dorsey gave clues to what he thinks about. He drafted fisher because he saw the trend that with qbs with quick releases, teams were looking for fast speed rushers. He wanted a guy with reach and quick feet to divert a rusher long enough. He drafted dee ford because he wanted that version of a speed rusher. He went on a DL binge because he and Sutton recognized that the Ryan scheme had to be tweaked to allow DL to do more inside rush.

While Pioli forced fitted everything into one specific scheme, Dorsey continually adapted the personnel to fit a scheme of the future. That's a big loss for kc and not an easy one to replace.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:00 AM 06-28-2017

2013: Eric Fisher, who was awful. No 2nd round pick.
2014: Dee Ford, who didn't start until 2016. No 2nd round pick
2015: Marcus Peters, Mitch Morse (as a 2nd round center, he was expected to start immediately)
2016: No 1st round pick, 2nd rounder was a rotational player.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:01 AM 06-28-2017
Originally Posted by penbrook:
Jones isn't and same with dee ford.
Jones will start this year. If Ford isn't a starter he will play starter minutes. Think we're talking semantics here. All his first and second rounders are major contributors.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:06 AM 06-28-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
2013: Eric Fisher, who was awful. No 2nd round pick.
2014: Dee Ford, who didn't start until 2016. No 2nd round pick
2015: Marcus Peters, Mitch Morse (as a 2nd round center, he was expected to start immediately)
2016: No 1st round pick, 2nd rounder was a rotational player.
Who cares when they started? Who cares if they have the official tag of starter. Apart from fisher, who is fine, all of these players are very good to outstanding. Is anyone really going to look at the above list and say it's anything short of outstanding?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:06 AM 06-28-2017
There have been several interviews where Dorsey gave clues to what he thinks about. He drafted fisher because he saw the trend that with qbs with quick releases, teams were looking for fast speed rushers. He wanted a guy with reach and quick feet to divert a rusher long enough.
Absolutely false.

Dorsey drafted Fisher with the hope that he'd begin to reach his ceiling by Year 3 or Year 4. They didn't trust Branden Albert to stay healthy and didn't want to pay him $9 million a year.

Fisher sucked ass at right tackle and really didn't begin to make strides as a left tackle until late 2015. Dorsey extended him, which was the correct move but let's not confuse Eric Fisher with other left tackles taken in the Top 10 like Anthony Munoz, Willie Roaf, Jonathan Ogden, etc.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up