ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official CP Homebrew American IPA Collaboration Thread***
KCUnited 03:22 PM 06-16-2017
Here is the final CP Homebrew American IPA collaboration recipe that was voted on (mostly) by you fine folks. In order to move this recipe forward, I've made some estimates and suggestions on certain ingredients and processes. I have noted them as "(Suggested)" in the recipe. Feel free to adjust to what you like or works best for you. Most notable are the dry hops. Instead of doing a whole nother round of votes for dry hops, I kept them the same as the boil hops with suggested amounts and number of days. Everyone seems to have preferred dry hop methods, so I thought it best to leave it up to the individual but provide a pretty standard suggestion. I dry hop the ever living fuck out of my beers so that's one I'll probably adjust when I go to brew this. The gravities and IBU's are an estimate as well. I left out things like Irish moss/whirlfloc additions, racking to secondary, and cold crashing, but feel free include any of those for you clear beer folks. On the surface, this looks to be an IPA with a low perceived bitterness yet a good amount of tropical hop flavor and aroma.

I've included an all grain recipe and an extract conversion via BeerSmith. Please see the note on the extract conversion below. There's also links to all the previous threads and some other links that you may find useful.

Thanks to everyone who participated and happy brewing. Be sure to update this thread with how your beer turned out and pics.

All Grain
Spoiler!

***Note: The recipe calls for Cara-Pils/Dextrine, which is used to add body and head retention without altering taste or color. It also needs to be mashed. So the options for the extract version would be to steep the Cara-Pils/Dextrine or substitute Maltodextrin in the boil for it OR just leave it out (what I would do). I've never used Maltodextrin and with this being an IPA, I don't think it's impactful enough to use it, but do as you will.***

Extract
Spoiler!

Recipe Polls
Spoiler!

Helpful Links
Spoiler!

Cheers
[Reply]
KCUnited 02:52 PM 06-21-2017
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
The original recipe shown in the OP is actually about 48IBU, I have no idea why its showing what it is.
The IBU in the OP is a BeerSmith calculation when I input the recipe. It should read 57.
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 02:57 PM 06-21-2017
Well I never did plug in the listed formula into an IBU calculator, but 48 is much much more reasonable than 5.7. I've been looking at the 5.7 and thinking there's no way that can be an IPA with such a low IBU rating.

I was legit interesting in seeing how that turned out amongst CPers, I know I just didn't want to potentially ruin a beer by giving it no noticeable bitterness qualities.
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 02:58 PM 06-21-2017
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
The IBU in the OP is a BeerSmith calculation when I input the recipe. It should read 57.
So it's basically what I was going to do anyways when I wanted to turn it into 58.
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:00 PM 06-21-2017
Ha, my bad. Can't believe I didn't catch that until Marcellus posted.
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 03:01 PM 06-21-2017
Ha, my bad. Can't believe I didn't catch that until Marcellus posted.
Glad this is all figured out :-)
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:48 PM 06-21-2017
My BeerSmith is adjusted for my equipment (like yours is I am sure) and I probably have a little different profile than your set up. I try to brew larger than 5gal because of trub losses etc..so to do a 5gal batch in the keg it adjust for more volume. Likely why mine ended up at 48.

:-)
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 05:14 PM 06-28-2017
I had to move my IPA brew day back to July 8th. I realized I was about to make a Raspberry imperial red ale and was going to need to move the beer over to the secondary with the raspberries, so I'll make this thing, then have the primary open for business for the IPA by the weekend after.

Who all is brewing this weekend?
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:14 AM 06-29-2017
I'm planning to brew on the 8th as well. Heading out this weekend to pick up my ingredients.
[Reply]
Marcellus 06:16 AM 06-29-2017
I think I am brewing this beer this weekend. I will take plenty of pics along the way and post my numbers.
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:24 AM 06-29-2017

[Reply]
Marcellus 06:31 AM 06-29-2017
I wonder if we could get a CPer with some graphic arts skills to design a label?

Unlike most of my beers I plan to exclusively bottle this one for ease of distribution.
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:41 AM 06-29-2017
I wonder if we could get a CPer with some graphic arts skills to design a label?

Unlike most of my beers I plan to exclusively bottle this one for ease of distribution.
If you don't mind, what's your bottling process like? Mine has always been to rack from primary to a bottling bucket and bottle with a wand and I always seem to get overly oxidized hoppy beers. Do you have any specific controls to prevent oxidation in your process? I've thought about blasting my bottling bucket with CO2 before racking to see if that helps. Nothing more frustrating to me than waiting for bottles to condition only to have the beer come out oxidized.
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:16 AM 06-29-2017
If you don't mind, what's your bottling process like? Mine has always been to rack from primary to a bottling bucket and bottle with a wand and I always seem to get overly oxidized hoppy beers. Do you have any specific controls to prevent oxidation in your process? I've thought about blasting my bottling bucket with CO2 before racking to see if that helps. Nothing more frustrating to me than waiting for bottles to condition only to have the beer come out oxidized.
I actually rack into a keg I purge with CO2 as if I were kegging it then I use a small amount of CO2 to pressurize the keg and use a beer gun to fill the bottles.

Its a pretty fast process and it minimizes oxygen as much as I can do.

Honestly its been so long since I bottled a hoppy beer that I cant remember when it was.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:19 AM 06-29-2017
I actually rack into a keg I purge with CO2 as if I were kegging it then I use a small amount of CO2 to pressurize the keg and use a beer gun to fill the bottles.

Its a pretty fast process and it minimizes oxygen as much as I can do.

Honestly its been so long since I bottled a hoppy beer that I cant remember when it was.
I really need to invest in a beer gun.
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:51 AM 06-29-2017
I think we should call this beer "2PM IPA". CP Collaboration Brewing.

Great double meaning there.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Up