ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Did the Chiefs Want Trubisky?
Chiefnj2 06:44 AM 05-03-2017
I know the immediate reaction will be "No, it was Mahomes all they way", but a few post draft interviews leave me wondering if Trubisky was the #1 QB on their board. First, in the MMQB 49ers draft article Shanahan was quoted as saying KC was offering a lot to the Titans to move up to #5. The 49ers couldn't fathom who KC was trading up for.

The Titans GM was on Sirius radio doing a post draft interview and he talked about how a couple of teams had reached out to them to trade up to #5, but that all the calls went dead after the Bears chose Trubisky at #2 and came off the board.

So, is there a chance KC wanted to move to #5 for Mitch?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:43 PM 05-11-2017
Dorsey said the other day he attended two of Mahomes games. Now who knows if he attended Trubiskys
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:09 PM 05-11-2017
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
The Chesson move was terrible
Chesson will be very good, if healthy
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:10 PM 05-11-2017
And no, the Chiefs didn't want Trubisky.

Mahomes was their guy since last Fall.
[Reply]
Sfeihc 08:44 PM 05-11-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Truth. Jehu will impress soon enough.
[Reply]
Willie Lanier 09:38 PM 05-11-2017
Meh, I'm not seeing it...

To be honest that pick pissed me off, because I think Conley is an underappreciated wide out...
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:24 AM 05-12-2017
Originally Posted by Willie Lanier:

To be honest that pick pissed me off, because I think Conley is an underappreciated wide out...
Chesson would be a complementary player for Conley if he pans out but it would happen at the expense of the 2 TE set.

If you have two big, strong WRs on the outside, they draw a lot of safety attention because if they're matched up 1 on 1, you can just attack the corner and let the bigger WR muscle his way to the ball. Guys like Conley (and guys with Chesson's skills set) are 'point of catch' players; guys that will win in tight spaces to get most of their production.

What that does is create space over the middle and underneath for quick twitch players like Hill or just straight up matchup nightmares like Kelce.

If Conley takes another step in his development (he needs to; still hasn't shown the quick twitch ability or route-running skills to win early in his routes, a vital component to this offense if he ever becomes the Z receiver), you'll simply see Chesson play the X alongside him and you'll see fewer 2 TE sets because they'll convert to a more single-back, 1 TE, 1 Y look.

And if Conley's never anything more than he is now, you probably don't want to give him that 2nd contract for $4-5 million/yr because he can't be a #1 and 2s are easier to find for cheap. Chesson could be that guy.

It's not the pick I'd have made, but you can see the philosophy behind it.
[Reply]
raybec 4 11:10 AM 05-12-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Chesson would be a complementary player for Conley if he pans out but it would happen at the expense of the 2 TE set.

If you have two big, strong WRs on the outside, they draw a lot of safety attention because if they're matched up 1 on 1, you can just attack the corner and let the bigger WR muscle his way to the ball. Guys like Conley (and guys with Chesson's skills set) are 'point of catch' players; guys that will win in tight spaces to get most of their production.

What that does is create space over the middle and underneath for quick twitch players like Hill or just straight up matchup nightmares like Kelce.

If Conley takes another step in his development (he needs to; still hasn't shown the quick twitch ability or route-running skills to win early in his routes, a vital component to this offense if he ever becomes the Z receiver), you'll simply see Chesson play the X alongside him and you'll see fewer 2 TE sets because they'll convert to a more single-back, 1 TE, 1 Y look.

And if Conley's never anything more than he is now, you probably don't want to give him that 2nd contract for $4-5 million/yr because he can't be a #1 and 2s are easier to find for cheap. Chesson could be that guy.

Great post. Couple that with the fact that Chesson is a 2nd round pick if he doesn't get hurt in the 2015 Bowl Game. He came in a few games into the season last year with a brand new QB and still produced reasonably well.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:44 AM 05-12-2017
Originally Posted by Willie Lanier:

I'm a fan of Conley's and I like the progress he made last year.

But Chesson is a "stronger" player. He really muscles himself into position and gets after balls. Conley's more finesse. Chesson's also a better downfield blocker. He's a "tough guy", especially after playing under Harbaugh. IMO, Chesson comes into the league more prepared and mature to fit Reid's vision of a wideout than Conley, whose development can be seen, but has been very slow.

Best case scenario? Conley makes another jump and Chesson puts up similar, if not better, numbers than Conley in 2016. That puts the Chiefs in position to dump Maclin's bloated contract in 2018.

The Chiefs can save $17.4 million against the 2018 cap by releasing Maclin, DJ, Hali and Jah Reid, so if Mahomes isn't up to speed and ready to start in 2018 (which I think is unlikely), keeping Alex Smith for that season won't hinder their ability to rollover cap dollars into 2019 or bring in a mid-tier free agent or two.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:56 PM 05-12-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

The thing about Chesson that intrigues me is his 6.70 3 cone. That is significantly better lateral agility than Conley's 7.06 time.

A tall high point WR with long arms and good hands makes perfect sense with Mahomes, however I think that just having this kid on the roster helps a lot.

They said he's mature, smart, has experience in a pro style system and a great blocker. I'all take Chesson over DAT and Wilson all day. He's great depth over what we had.
[Reply]
Willie Lanier 01:54 PM 05-12-2017

But Chesson is a "stronger" player. He really muscles himself into position and gets after balls. Conley's more finesse. Chesson's also a better downfield blocker. He's a "tough guy", especially after playing under Harbaugh. IMO, Chesson comes into the league more prepared and mature to fit Reid's vision of a wideout than Conley, whose development can be seen, but has been very slow.

Best case scenario? Conley makes another jump and Chesson puts up similar, if not better, numbers than Conley in 2016. That puts the Chiefs in position to dump Maclin's bloated contract in 2018.

The Chiefs can save $17.4 million against the 2018 cap by releasing Maclin, DJ, Hali and Jah Reid, so if Mahomes isn't up to speed and ready to start in 2018 (which I think is unlikely), keeping Alex Smith for that season won't hinder their ability to rollover cap dollars into 2019 or bring in a mid-tier free agent or two.
Well stated...

I hope you're right...
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:00 PM 05-12-2017
Now I'm worried Dat won't make the roster. Any chance Chesson has the ability to high five Hill going in.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 11:17 AM 05-13-2017
Originally Posted by Hog Farmer:
Now I'm worried Dat won't make the roster. Any chance Chesson has the ability to high five Hill going in.
Why are you "worried"?

What has DAT done that makes you feel as if he's worthy of a roster spot?

even Albert Wilson is better than DAT.

If I had to guess now, before training camp etc, I'd say the WR depth chart would be:

Maclin X (He needs to take a pay cut or be released in 2018, because he's turning into a overpaid unproductive pos)
Conley Y
Hill Z
Chesson
Wilson
Robinson
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 10:49 AM 05-15-2017
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
Why are you "worried"?

What has DAT done that makes you feel as if he's worthy of a roster spot?

even Albert Wilson is better than DAT.

If I had to guess now, before training camp etc, I'd say the WR depth chart would be:

Maclin X (He needs to take a pay cut or be released in 2018, because he's turning into a overpaid unproductive pos)
Conley Y
Hill Z
Chesson
Wilson
Robinson
Um... He high fived Hill scoring a touchdown giving us a memorable moment. What more do you want from a guy making only $800k a year? I mean... to actually catch 1 pass a game? pffttt.
[Reply]
O.city 11:26 AM 05-15-2017

Or they can cut Smith and gain 17 million from that one player. If Maclin has another down year, they'll move on, but I'd imagine they'll want as many weapons around Mahomes as they can get. Cutting Smith would allow them the $ to add a good backup and a few other decent free agent options.
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 12:00 PM 05-15-2017
Originally Posted by O.city:
Or they can cut Smith and gain 17 million from that one player. If Maclin has another down year, they'll move on, but I'd imagine they'll want as many weapons around Mahomes as they can get. Cutting Smith would allow them the $ to add a good backup and a few other decent free agent options.
The great thing being there are a number of options to clear space, when the time comes.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up