ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 25
< 123 456713 > Last »
Media Center>Wonder Woman (2017)
Munson 04:13 PM 07-23-2016

[Reply]
penguinz 10:26 AM 07-30-2016
For the look Nadia Bjorlin should have been cast...

[Reply]
unlurking 01:28 PM 07-30-2016
Looks better than I expected. Was not happy about the Gadot casting, but she looked pretty bad-ass in the trailer. Pine looks like a dumb-ass as Trevor though. That may just be my anti-Trek reboot rage though.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:16 PM 07-30-2016
Originally Posted by JD10367:
She's an Amazon from an island of women. And people are already bitching about female empowerment? If any movie is entitled to it, it's this one, not "Ghostbusters" or some other shit.

I wasn't happy with Gadot, although she's hot. Definitely a little thin for my tastes for the role. A better choice would've been Jaimie Alexander ("Thor", "Blindspot").
FTR - I wasn't complaining about empowerment, just the clunky conflation of employment and slavery.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:18 PM 07-30-2016
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Jessica Chobot would have looked the part. I nominate her only because my out of control crush on her demands that I do..
Does she have a higher profile than Nerdist Youtube?

I see her clips on occasion and am constantly befuddled that she isn't starring in something on Network or Premium cable.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:20 PM 07-30-2016
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Oh, come on. People for 100 years have complained about "slaving away" at work. It's a joke.

Lighten up, Francis.
I'm not mad, it's just a clunky bit.

Up there with Storm's 'what happens to a toad who gets struck by lightning' line.

Heck, it might have even been palatable, and totally in keeping with your line of thinking if, instead of saying 'sounds like slavery to me' WW had said 'don't work too hard, you're not his slave.' Still not a great line, but better.
[Reply]
keg in kc 02:21 PM 07-30-2016
I thought it was just a cute little bit clearly targetted at a demo that doesn't generally go out for comic book movies.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:57 PM 07-30-2016
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Looks better than I expected. Was not happy about the Gadot casting, but she looked pretty bad-ass in the trailer. Pine looks like a dumb-ass as Trevor though. That may just be my anti-Trek reboot rage though.
What bothered me about the production was that Warner's sought a female director, exclusively, for this film. I mean, why? This isn't a biography of Gloria Steinem or the like, it's freaking Wonder Woman, a comic book character.

That said, it looks really good, as far as trailers go.
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:35 PM 07-30-2016
Probably the same reason marvel wants a female director for captain marvel.
[Reply]
Bowser 05:36 PM 07-30-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Does she have a higher profile than Nerdist Youtube?

I see her clips on occasion and am constantly befuddled that she isn't starring in something on Network or Premium cable.
I think Nerdist takes up most of her time, but she does a podcast called Bizarre States (never heard it). She's a relatively new mom as well, so maybe that is why she isn't out there more? She certainly has the look and personality to be or do more, imnsho.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:46 PM 07-30-2016
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Probably the same reason marvel wants a female director for captain marvel.
It's silly. I have absolutely zero problems with female directors but to purposely hire a female director because the film's feature star is female just seems odd to me.

Where's the mandate to hire a female to direct Aquaman or Planet Hulk? Or are female directors just relegated to female lead characters?
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 06:18 PM 07-30-2016
Originally Posted by penguinz:
For the look Nadia Bjorlin should have been cast...

Overall Alexandra Daddario
[Reply]
keg in kc 08:45 PM 07-30-2016
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
It's silly. I have absolutely zero problems with female directors but to purposely hire a female director because the film's feature star is female just seems odd to me.

Where's the mandate to hire a female to direct Aquaman or Planet Hulk? Or are female directors just relegated to female lead characters?
My interpretation is that it's a pr-/marketing-motivated decision. Look how we're empowering women in Hollywood by having women write/direct/produce female comic heroines. Women are by far a minority audience for any geek media, whether it's science fiction or comic-inspired, and I interpret these hires as targeting that audience.

At the end of the day there are major issues with gender imbalance in entertainment, so I don't really have an issue with it, so long as the women hired are qualified and do a good job. Maybe some success here will help open doors and help balance the scales down the road. To the point that gender isn't relevant to the discussion. Although at the same time there's the risk that box office and/or critical failure by either of these films (referring to ww and cm) will result in a step back toward the perception that female leads can't carry franchises and female directors can't deliver the goods. Because there's little doubt in my mind that they'll face tougher scrutiny than their male counterparts, whether we're talking writers, actresses or production staff.

Regardless, they can't afford for either of these movies to fail, not just for that reason, but because they're both such major characters in their respective comic universe.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:51 PM 07-30-2016
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
My interpretation is that it's a pr-/marketing-motivated decision. Look how we're empowering women in Hollywood by having women write/direct/produce female comic heroines. Women are by far a minority audience for any geek media, whether it's science fiction or comic-inspired, and I interpret these hires as targeting that audience.
I agree that it's probably part of the marketing ploy. But with all of the great female producers, directors, screenwriters and show runners working each and every day, it almost comes across as pandering and in some ways, condescending, as if only a female director can faithfully interpret Wonder Woman.

It just seems like an unnecessary ploy. But that's not to say that Patty Jenkins isn't talented or unworthy of the gig.
[Reply]
keg in kc 08:53 PM 07-30-2016
It's absolutely pandering.
[Reply]
Rasputin 02:38 PM 08-03-2016
Here is an exclusive picture of WW jet plane

Isn't it cool, it's luxury but it's fast.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 25
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up