ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Nzoner's Game Room>Charleston Food, Drink and Activities
blake5676 11:30 AM 06-28-2017
Who's been? Who lives there? What am I an idiot if I don't do/try?

Going to Charleston mid-August (hot and humid, I know) with the wife for 3 days. Nothing set on the schedule yet, but neither of us have ever been and always heard awesome things about the town. We're into old historic charm and architecture so I'm sure we'll do all that. We also like to eat and drink large quantities of booze.

Staying at the Francis Marion in old historic district. Plan on walking everywhere but not opposed to getting Uber/cab and going somewhere further if there is reason for it. Hit me with some can't miss food or activities....thanks in advance!!
[Reply]
Buck 07:10 PM 06-28-2017
Are you going to be there on August 21st?
[Reply]
blake5676 07:22 PM 06-28-2017
Nope. Week before. Something cool happening then?
[Reply]
Buck 09:08 PM 06-28-2017
Originally Posted by blake5676:
Nope. Week before. Something cool happening then?
Solar Eclipse passing right over Charleston
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:40 PM 06-28-2017
Originally Posted by Mosbonian:
Surprised no one has mentioned the Yorktown and Patriots Point yet. Tour the Carrier and see all the different historical exhibits.....if you are not claustrophobic tour the submarine that is also anchored there. You can also tour the USS Chaffey which is a Destroyer that is docked there.

From Patriots Points you can take a boat to Fort Sumter. If you like Fort Sumter, you can drive to Fort Moultrie.

Also...Johns Island is nearby and pretty cool to visit. There are some very cool old trees there that are fun to take pictures sitting on or have a picnic under. Visit the Angel Oak Tree that is believed to be 400-500 years old. Here is their website

http://www.angeloaktree.com/

The old Marketplace is open all the time in the summer.....a lot of local crafts there.

Walk from where you are staying to The Battery and Rainbow Row.

I second whomever talked about 167 Raw....great place!

The Yorktown is a sitting duck if the Japanese attack.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:31 AM 06-29-2017
The original Jack's Cosmic Dogs.

Don't think it's just a hot dog. It's a landmark, and well worth the visit.
[Reply]
Why Not? 06:46 AM 06-29-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:

Definitely
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:03 AM 06-29-2017

Unrelated story. An acquaintance of mine was eating a hot dog recently, and it went down wrong. He started choking and they couldn't Heimlich it out, and then he went into full cardiac arrest. He survived, but got to take a helicopter ride and everything.

Hot dogs are dangerous. People should never eat hot dogs. Plus, they're kind of gross to start with.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 10:07 AM 06-29-2017
Charleston is known for its many pain clinics. Visit one, and for a nominal fee you will receive a diagnosis and prescription. Head for the nearest pharmacy, and enjoy your trip.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:32 AM 06-29-2017

Heh, ironically talking today with some friends about grabbing Steve's Dogs on The Hill.

Cool place, great dogs, but the coolest part is the owner used to do this [I was college friends with the dude playing trombone in the green shirt]

http://www.stlamerican.com/business/...a4bcf887a.html
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:44 AM 06-29-2017

Oh, and Alton agrees with you.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/cosmic-dog-0167170
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 10:54 AM 06-29-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Oh, and Alton agrees with you.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/cosmic-dog-0167170
Jack's is awesome.

The wife and I would stop any time we went to Charleston. It helped that even though it's out of the city, it was on the way for us.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up