Page 931 of 934
« First < 431831881921927928929930931 932933934 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:53 AM 04-03-2024
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
No fees at all? That's intriguing. I hate paying fees, and would like some broad market exposure.
SCHB has made up the bulk of my brokerage portfolio for years. (My retirement accounts are largely in target date index funds.)
[Reply]
loochy 09:56 AM 04-03-2024
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I bought into some travel stocks back in 2021 hoping for a nice rebound. To date, they’ve been hit or miss. As others have noted, Royal Caribbean has crushed it but Carnival is lagging. Same deal with airlines- I’ve got a couple that are up and a couple that are still down three years later. Not sure what to make of it all.

Yeah, I bought quite a bit of LUV and AAL at the beginning of COVID with hopes of a substantial rebound when it was all over. I sold them both last month for relatively no gain or loss at all.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 10:40 AM 04-03-2024
No fees at all? That's intriguing. I hate paying fees, and would like some broad market exposure.
many etf have very low fees.

people have different opinions but one of my favorites is VOO with only 0.03% fees. not zero but very close and has historically been one of the best investments long term to just forget about.

I think the total market are great too.

To keep it simple depending on age and portfolio amount 25% each in total market, s&p 500, nasdaq & some other fund you like wouldn't be bad.

lots of ways to skin a cat but you really can't go wrong with zero/low cost s&p, nasdaq and total market funds for simplicity
[Reply]
ThaVirus 11:04 AM 04-03-2024
I've got a little LUV and it's languished for a long time. I'm debating moving on from it, but haven't found the strength to do so yet. I like their business model.
Exactly why I bought into JetBlue. I don’t like flying or travel in general but everytime I’ve flown JetBlue, I’ve REALLY enjoyed my experience compared to other airlines.

Also, forgive me if I already asked and we discussed this recently, but with HYSA interest rates being so high at the moment, have you dabbled in any of those in lieu of parking that cash in a CD? I’ve been using CapitalOne’s HYSA and getting 4.3%. Admittedly, I could have found others at 5%+ but went with CapOne because of familiarity.

I just wonder what are the pros to going CD over HYSA at a time like this.
[Reply]
UteChief 11:37 AM 04-03-2024
For my S&P 500 I use VOO for brokerage and IRA, and FXAIX within my workplace savings. I keep those separate from my, hey I think I’m a good trader play funds. That way I get to see how shit I am against the market.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:41 AM 04-03-2024
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Exactly why I bought into JetBlue. I don’t like flying or travel in general but everytime I’ve flown JetBlue, I’ve REALLY enjoyed my experience compared to other airlines.

Also, forgive me if I already asked and we discussed this recently, but with HYSA interest rates being so high at the moment, have you dabbled in any of those in lieu of parking that cash in a CD? I’ve been using CapitalOne’s HYSA and getting 4.3%. Admittedly, I could have found others at 5%+ but went with CapOne because of familiarity.

I just wonder what are the pros to going CD over HYSA at a time like this.
Oddly, I have never flown JetBlue. I think they have some flights out of Denver, or at least they used to. I was interested in trying them, but it's never worked out.

I've parked a little money in a HYSA at my local bank for cash that I need relatively soon. Or maybe not. It's called a "timed deposit account". I don't know if that's the same thing or not.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:08 PM 04-03-2024
Oddly, I have never flown JetBlue. I think they have some flights out of Denver, or at least they used to. I was interested in trying them, but it's never worked out.

I've parked a little money in a HYSA at my local bank for cash that I need relatively soon. Or maybe not. It's called a "timed deposit account". I don't know if that's the same thing or not.
As low-cost carriers go, I like JetBlue. But yeah, about the only routes they have out of Denver are Boston and NYC, so it's a pretty limited use case for me.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:26 PM 04-03-2024
Originally Posted by Ming the Merciless:
it's been a while since I looked but carnivals biggest issue used to be debt

like their debt was potentially more than the value of their ships or higher than a certain % of that value.

since Interest rates have gone up , I'd imagine this issue would be looming pretty large but I don't know for certain if that's the main reason the price is low

one other correction, their earnings is no where near pre-pandemic yet. They've been negative earnings since 2020.

I think you mean revenue... but the problem is their debt payments eat up that revenue hence no earnings , or negative earnings actually.
Good call. Their debt is rough. But it's in line with Royal Caribbean.

Still perplexed.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:52 PM 04-03-2024
Originally Posted by Ming the Merciless:
minor correction:

FZROX is not an S&P 500 fund, its a total market fund (it has small and mid caps) so its not quite the same as investing in the S&P500

here's a 10 year chart of FZROX vs the S&P 500 https://seekingalpha.com/symbol/FZRO...ic=priceReturn

if youre trying to specifically invest in the S&P 500 and mimic the perforfance of the S&P 500 then things like SPY or VOO etc are what youre going to want to look at.
Came here to say this.

I'm not a big fan of total market funds because there are some real shitbag companies out there. S&P does an excellent job of sorting off fuckhole companies if they shit the bed. It is a pretty good screener. And that's why it has historically outperformed the total index funds. It's not perfect. There is a lot of weight in tech (which might be overheated), and has almost all large cap stocks. But if you're going to put all your shit in one investment mine would be S&P.

The one I use is VOO because I think the cheapest fees.

I was shocked at how many of them there are. I ran across this video that kind of points out the differences in some of them, and it may provide some value if you are looking at the S&P.

[Reply]
Rain Man 06:57 PM 04-04-2024
Today was sure a swing. I took a look this morning and we were up notably, and then I looked at the end of the day and the village was smoking ruins with bodies strewn in the street.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:49 PM 04-04-2024
That that was a pretty quick selloff this afternoon.
[Reply]
scho63 08:06 PM 04-04-2024
I've had a lot of fuck ups in the options market but today I finally settled for tripling my money with AMZN call options that I bought yesterday and sold today as it closed in on it's high. I usually get greedy and not only lose all my profit but my original investment.

Had 25 of the $182.50 calls that expire this Friday with a cost basis of $76.63 (.76) and sold for $247 (2.47)

Tomorrow there could be a big move after the jobs report at 8:30am Eastern time.

Looking at the QQQ options.

Bought some more BDN REIT for dividends. Over 15% yield. Dividend was recently cut so I think it's safe for the short term.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:14 PM 04-04-2024
Today was sure a swing. I took a look this morning and we were up notably, and then I looked at the end of the day and the village was smoking ruins with bodies strewn in the street.
It was me.

I had a decent sized (for me) market order for the open on some stuff. So of course it cratered.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:16 PM 04-04-2024
Originally Posted by scho63:
I've had a lot of fuck ups in the options market but today I finally settled for tripling my money with AMZN call options that I bought yesterday and sold today as it closed in on it's high. I usually get greedy and not only lose all my profit but my original investment.

Had 25 of the $182.50 calls that expire this Friday with a cost basis of $76.63 (.76) and sold for $247 (2.47)

Tomorrow there could be a big move after the jobs report at 8:30am Eastern time.

Looking at the QQQ options.

Bought some more BDN REIT for dividends. Over 15% yield. Dividend was recently cut so I think it's safe for the short term.
Good on you. I was going to sell come covered puts awhile back, but I just put the cash in the market.

I've had 50 or so shares of BDN for awhile. I had to shut the DRIP off because the price keeps getting whipped like a rented mule. That's why the dividend yield is so high. Might be a good time to get in... I mean the price can't (shouldn't) go negative.

EDIT: Hogfarmer's MAIN stock for dividends has performed really well for me. Some of it may have been the bounceback after the banking scare, but it was a really good performer for me.
[Reply]
rydogg58 08:33 PM 04-04-2024
I was talking to a guy at work at 8:30, I told him that if the day went like it looked like it was going then it would be a good day in the market. I sold a few $528 SPY calls I had been holding since the day before and I was pretty green. Closed my app, and went about my workday.

Checked back later in the day and immediately stopped wishing I held those calls or I would have had a worse day. WTF happened?
[Reply]
Page 931 of 934
« First < 431831881921927928929930931 932933934 >
Up