ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 21
« First < 41011121314 15161718 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Feature: Up/Down Voting Posts
Bearcat 04:58 PM 09-14-2017
We have been playing around with up/down vote functionality for the past couple of weeks and just activated it in the Lounge prior to this thread.

1. Everyone can vote a post up or down. The vote totals themselves show up on the bottom right of the post. You can't vote on your own posts (the up/down vote is hidden), but you will see the totals once it's voted on.
2. If a post meets some criteria for being "good," the post will be given a yellow border (so that others are drawn to the "good posts" in a big thread).
3. Similarly, if a post meets some criteria for a "bad post," it will be shaded. If a post meets criteria for a "terrible post," it will be shown collapsed with a red bar. The red bar of a collapsed post shows the user's name, and you can click a button at the right to show the post.
4. This functionality doesn't mess with the order of posts.

I'm using "some criteria" only because we're sure it'll change. The border, shading, and collapsed posts are based on the difference between up and down votes, not a total number of one or the other. We'll be making adjustments based on usage, especially with collapsed posts.

We have questions about whether it'll work here vs a place like reddit. A few of us like the idea while others have brought up legitimate concerns. In the end, we decided to roll it out, at least temporarily.

This is a trial run.

We'll give it a week or two depending on how things go, then we'll put it to a vote as long as it's not an obviously terrible idea. The goal is make threads a little easier to scroll through -- easier to find the best contributions and easier to scroll past the trolling and derailments. We aren't out to completely hide posts and will adjust as needed to keep that percentage really low, or based on your feedback.
[Reply]
Eleazar 07:53 AM 09-18-2017
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Actually, now that I think about it, I like the up/down vote option but I don't care for posts being hidden or highlighted based on what everyone else thinks.
I don't mind the posts that are lowest rated being auto-hidden, but the yellow highlight is distracting and silly.
[Reply]
threebag 08:15 AM 09-18-2017
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
*cough*

In this thread, a yellow border was around a mod post chiding Sweet Daddy Hate, whose post was greyed out. Essentially, the only "in nature" use of this function has HEIGHTENED the drama that people want to avoid. People bitching about how "there's no news here anymore and too many derailed threads" are going to get it way worse when they find that the only important posts that this feature reveals are the ones that are faction against faction.

I mean, yes, continue the trial period, but I can predict with a good amount of certainty that this idea will fail spectacularly.
Yeah let's get rid of both... The trial period and Sweets
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 12:49 PM 09-18-2017
*cough*

In this thread, a yellow border was around a mod post chiding Sweet Daddy Hate, whose post was greyed out. Essentially, the only "in nature" use of this function has HEIGHTENED the drama that people want to avoid. People bitching about how "there's no news here anymore and too many derailed threads" are going to get it way worse when they find that the only important posts that this feature reveals are the ones that are faction against faction.

I mean, yes, continue the trial period, but I can predict with a good amount of certainty that this idea will fail spectacularly.
You can't understand why a post from SDH talking about Smith in this thread gets a ton of down votes and why the mod post basically telling him to :-) about it in every thread gets a lot of up votes?

We should get a hold of NASA to see if they can figure it out.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:40 PM 09-18-2017
I just cast my first vote in a thread, and it was really exciting.
[Reply]
JoeyChuckles 08:03 PM 09-18-2017
I seem to be the only person upvoting posts in other threads. I don't really downvote stuff I don't like, I just upvote the stuff I really do like.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 08:12 PM 09-18-2017
Originally Posted by threebag02:
Yeah let's get rid of both... The trial period and Sweets
Tough shit, sugar tits; I'm plowing your asshole all the way to the Smith retirement party and beyond.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 11:22 PM 09-18-2017
Originally Posted by Nickhead:
according to the chiefs calender, the world ended in 2012, december :-)
AustinChief must have accidentally installed the Mayan calendar
[Reply]
Kaepernick 11:43 AM 09-19-2017
Time to stack the deck.

[Reply]
threebag 12:22 PM 09-19-2017
She isn't nude... Nice try

[Reply]
RealSNR 07:20 PM 09-19-2017
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
You can't understand why a post from SDH talking about Smith in this thread gets a ton of down votes and why the mod post basically telling him to :-) about it in every thread gets a lot of up votes?

I know why you fucking numbskull. That's not the fucking intended purpose of the yellow border posts.

What's the fucking point of the yellow border posts? They said people who want to skip over shitty posts can do that by jumping to yellow border posts.

Here's a yellow post that everybody liked that has nothing to do with the Chiefs or football, but only puts re-surfaces the bullshit that people supposedly want to avoid.

I'm saying the yellow border idea is dumb and stupid because it's never going to work for its intended use, and even if it does, nobody votes on posts often enough to make the event a common enough frequency to begin scanning for when they read a thread.
[Reply]
threebag 07:27 PM 09-19-2017

This needs the yellow border
[Reply]
Eleazar 08:32 PM 09-19-2017
I know why you ****ing numbskull. That's not the ****ing intended purpose of the yellow border posts.

What's the ****ing point of the yellow border posts? They said people who want to skip over shitty posts can do that by jumping to yellow border posts.

Here's a yellow post that everybody liked that has nothing to do with the Chiefs or football, but only puts re-surfaces the bullshit that people supposedly want to avoid.

I'm saying the yellow border idea is dumb and stupid because it's never going to work for its intended use, and even if it does, nobody votes on posts often enough to make the event a common enough frequency to begin scanning for when they read a thread.

[Reply]
Mr. Plow 08:36 PM 09-19-2017
Here's a yellow post that everybody liked that has nothing to do with the Chiefs or football, but only puts re-surfaces the bullshit that people supposedly want to avoid..
I get the rest of your post. Don't necessarily agree, but I understand what you're saying in posts outside of this thread.

But you're complaining that a gold post in a thread that has nothing to do with football or the chiefs isn't about the chiefs or football.
[Reply]
RealSNR 09:24 PM 09-19-2017
I get the rest of your post. Don't necessarily agree, but I understand what you're saying in posts outside of this thread.

But you're complaining that a gold post in a thread that has nothing to do with football or the chiefs isn't about the chiefs or football.
If you can show me one football-related post that has become highlighted in gold this week since we put in the trial period for the new feature, I'll concede my point.

People aren't using the feature. That's why it will stink. And if they do use it, it will probably be somebody bashing a poster who's being a dumbass.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 09:26 PM 09-19-2017
They should just call it the "Smith Button".

Because it sucks.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 21
« First < 41011121314 15161718 > Last »
Up