ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Let's have an updated smart phone discussion
gblowfish 03:17 PM 07-14-2017
I'm about ready to take the plunge to update my phones. My phone is ancient (hey, I use it for a phone) but I'd like to update to a couple Iphone 6 or 7 models on an unlimited plan. How big a deal is the storage in an I-Phone? is 32GB generally enough if you primarily use it as a frickin' phone? I'd also like it to serve as a mobile wifi hot spot if possible.

I've only been paying Sprint about $95 a month for two lines. My wife does text but I don't. I do most of my internet stuff on my laptop or IPad, but would like to have internet access at places like Arrowhead on my phone.

So, who's currently got the best deal?

I know Verizon's customer data just got hacked.

I've been with Sprint for 20 years but would leave for a better deal. Certainly don't feel obligated to stay with them.

TMobile seems pretty decent. Two lines unlimited for $80 total.

Boost says they use Sprint's Network but looks like kind of like a cheezy back door kinda company.

Anybody got a plan or service currently that they love?
[Reply]
DaFace 10:49 PM 07-19-2017
I've had awful customer service in multiple Sprint stores. I don't mind Sprint as long as I don't have to deal with any of their employees, but yeesh. It's bad.
[Reply]
Nickhead 12:55 AM 07-20-2017
my last job, phones weren't allowed unless it was an emergency. so i adhered to the rule. only time i used mine was to check on sports info while taking a shit at work (i allowed myself two ten minute shits a day :-)). everyone else would hide their phones in magazines and crossword books.

anyways, my new job. there are two blokes that literally carry a box of bottled water from the conveyor to the pallet, single handed. and in the other they are scrolling thru instagram posts. they will stop the work they are doing to change music choices with their ear buds. literally five hours of the day. and then they talk about how they cannot understand having no credit at the middle of the month, so they buy more credit. :-)

but i won't say a word because even though i could improve the lines production by three hours a day, there are less than ten of us, and they would all resent me for them losing their baby momma texts. :-)
[Reply]
Stewie 05:47 AM 07-20-2017
FreedomPop here for $0/month (Android Smart Phone). I also have MagicJack for my home phone. The nice thing is that all calls and texts can go through my MagicJack app (for free) on my cell phone as long as I have WiFi. I have WiFi at work and most places have WiFi of some sort. I will use the FreedomPop (Sprint) service if I'm in the car or out of WiFi range, but that's not often. My cell phone also rings when someone calls my home phone, which is nice.
[Reply]
Nixhex 09:20 AM 07-20-2017
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Sprint and T-Mobile are going to be your best options if cost is your main concern. I'm not a huge fan of Sprint due to a dead zone at my house, but if you've used them for years and generally have coverage where you need it, I don't know any strong reason to switch.
I use T-Mobile and I am happy for the most part. My house is a dead zone (for most if not all carriers) but I turn on Wi-Fi calling and have no issues.
[Reply]
gblowfish 11:21 AM 07-20-2017
More to the saga: So after making arrangements with the new carrier (Straight Talk) last night, this morning I call Sprint to cancel my service and move my two cell phone numbers over to the new carrier. I was supposed to receive the new phones (2 Iphone 6 models) tomorrow, but I got an email from Straight Talk that said I would receive them Monday. That's OK. The problem is, in order to move service from the old Sprint phone to the new Iphones, you have to have the phone ID numbers. I won't have those until the new phones arrive Monday. In the mean time, my Sprint bill cycle runs from the 21st to the 20th of the next month. Today is July 20th, so tomorrow, July 21st, Sprint charges me for another month of service on my current plan. So If I activate the new phones on Monday, I'll be paying Sprint $100 for basically three days of cell service. The new carrier doesn't start charging me for service until the new phones are activated. So, I'm going to have to sit on the new phones until August 19th to activate them. Sprint will get one more month out of me, because if I have to pay them anyway, I'm not going to give them a $100 reward for treating me like shit. In the Florida News thread, there's a story about a guy who shot up a couple ATT trucks parked in front of his house. I don't condone it. I UNDERSTAND IT, but don't condone it.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:49 AM 07-20-2017
It's a shame Sprint is so shitty, both in their cell service and customer service. I'd really like to support a local business, but they make it impossible to want to use them for anything.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:54 AM 07-20-2017
Speaking of smartphones, I've been getting emails for about a week now reminding me that I am now eligible for an upgrade. Two days ago the screen on my 'droid starts going all wonky, like it's splitting in half as one half of my graphics spaz all over the screen. COINCIDENCE????
[Reply]
eDave 11:58 AM 07-20-2017
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
Well I took Bob's advice and hired Straight Talk tonight. After work I went into the Sprint Store across from Oak Park Mall in OP. It was worse than the DMV. This bored skinny girl was standing behind a bar table with a cheap tablet, chewing on the straw of a McDonalds drink. I asked her, "How long is the wait to talk to somebody about upgrading two Sprint phones?" "Not more than 20 minutes" she said without looking at me. She took my name and started chewing on the straw again. Meanwhile, the waiting room looks like Wal-Mart at its worst. A bunch of 20 somethings covered with tatts, pants sagging down to their knees, screaming dirty kids in tow. One guy was just chatting up the Sprint guy, and they just talked about "stuff" for probably 45 minutes before getting down to business. 90 minutes later, the bored girl grabs her purse and heads for the front door. "HEY....I said...what happened to "not more than 20 minutes?" "Sorry" she said and kind of smirked and left. So I said to myself "**** this, I'm outta here...my drive home is still 45 minutes." So just as i'm getting up to leave, bored girls replacement comes over and says "sorry, you're next." Next meant another 15 minutes. So now 20 minutes is an hour 45. I talk to the Sprint Guy who can actually do something for me. "How many years have I been a customer?" I ask him. "19 years" he says. So we start talking about getting the two IPhone 7's -lease one get one- and he says "You can't keep your phone numbers." I say "WHY NOT?" We'd had my number for 19 years, and my wife's had hers for 15 years. "Has to be new service, dude..." he says to me very impassively. I say "Well, not being able to keep our numbers is a deal breaker. You wanna re-think that?" "Nuthin' I can do, man...." guy says. So I tell him, 'That's It, I'm done," and clap my hands like leaving a blackjack table. He mumbles..."have a nice evening....." So I come home, find Straight Talk on the web, get a chat with one of their sales dudes, he answers all my questions in about 15 minutes. I got two Iphone 6's (new) paid $199 ea for them to buy them outright, deal is unlimited talk/text/8GB data for $45 per month. Plus I got free overnight shipping on the phones and a 15% discount for buying two phones on the same order. After I pay for the phones, our monthly bill will drop to $80 for both lines (pay 3 months at a time to save $10) no long term contract, I own the phone if I'm not happy. I was paying Sprint right at $100 a month for two ancient phones and a much more restrictive plan that I had to honor for two years. Assholes. Thanks Bob Dole. Free At Last... Free at Last, GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY I'm free at last!!!
Did you get to keep your number?
[Reply]
gblowfish 12:40 PM 07-20-2017
Originally Posted by eDave:
Did you get to keep your number?
Yes, when I activate the two new phones around August 15th, they'll transfer my numbers from Sprint over to Straight Talk. The last 24 hours was a real pain in the ass, but I'll be glad when it's all straightened out.
[Reply]
eDave 12:42 PM 07-20-2017
Yes, when I activate the two new phones around August 15th, they'll transfer my numbers from Sprint over to Straight Talk. The last 24 hours was a real pain in the ass, but I'll be glad when it's all straightened out.
I just signed up myself. Same phone and everything. We're besties! Unless you got the gay rose gold version.

Thanks Bob Dole.
[Reply]
gblowfish 12:42 PM 07-20-2017
Do any of you guys use an IPhone 6? Anything good, bad or advice I should know about them?
[Reply]
eDave 03:13 PM 07-22-2017
I'm all set up with Straight Talk now. iPhone 5 SE for $159. $45/mo for unlimited talk and text. 8GB data up front at 4 LTE, then 2GB/mo at 2 LTE. Which is fine by me as I'm not using data for anything other than Spotify. Total was $220 out the door, phone is mine, can cancel service anytime I want to, and I had the phone within 24h with free overnight shipping. Waited about 1h for activation. Just had to input my Verizon account # and pin and the phone number was moved right over.

Call quality is great and I've had no issues. I've heard their customer service is really bad though.

LOVE the phone BTW. Perfect form factor for me, industrial look (Space Gray), squared edges, sturdy, and the iOS is real solid (my first time). I've found a way to go gray scale, invert colors and combine apps into one folder on my launch bar to clear the wallpaper screen for a pretty nice black monochrome look.

It's the perfect phone. Very pleased.
[Reply]
Spott 03:22 PM 07-22-2017
Do any of you guys use an IPhone 6? Anything good, bad or advice I should know about them?
My work phone is an Iphone 6S, although I don't use it that much. My personal phone is is a 5S and I really don't see the difference in the two, besides the screen being bigger on the 6.
[Reply]
eDave 03:29 PM 07-22-2017
Originally Posted by Spott:
My work phone is an Iphone 6S, although I don't use it that much. My personal phone is is a 5S and I really don't see the difference in the two, besides the screen being bigger on the 6.
6S has 3D Touch. 5S does not. 6S has better battery life. 6S has a better front facing camera. 6S is a bit faster and will probably be supported longer than the 5.

Really the only differences and not enough for me to go to the 6S.
[Reply]
Spott 03:46 PM 07-22-2017
Originally Posted by eDave:
6S has 3D Touch. 5S does not. 6S has better battery life. 6S has a better front facing camera.

Really the only differences and not enough for me to go to the 6S.
My 5S had great battery life until I upgraded to IOS 9. From that point on I've had to use the phone in low power mode, which works fine for what I use it for. Instead of a newer version of the phone, I'd like to be able to go back to IOS 8.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up