ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 301 of 3903
« First < 201251291297298299300301 3023033043053113514018011301 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
suzzer99 11:26 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by arrowheadnation:
Why don't we copy whatever China did to head this off? They only had 14 new cases yesterday (12 of which were from people returning home form other countries), and their last pop-up hospital dedicated to COVID-19 closed today due to low demand. Shanghai Disneyland has begun the process of re-opening (currently opened in a limited capacity) They were by far the worst off. And they did it without buying enough toilet paper to last them til 2025. This can be done.
We are to some degree. They shut everything down. Except their version of shut down is one person per household goes out once a week for food. That's impossible to imagine here.

Also they test a ton more. We definitely need to do that. S. Korea is doing 10k tests/day and isolating anyone who tests positive - even from their family. They haven't even had to close all their restaurants.

We need to test like 20k people a day and isolate positives. We've done 14k tests total.
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:29 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
No, he’s right. That guy is doom and gloom 24/7 every single post. It’s ridiculous.
You mean like at the beginning of this thread when half the posters still thought this was going to turn out to be nothing and me and a bunch of others were disagreeing with them and trying to convince people this was a real crisis? Yeah sorry for the doom and gloom on that.
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:34 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by Strongside:
Some of you know my mothers situation. Nurse Practitioner at Menorah, came down with classic CV symptoms a couple days after the first JOCO patient was diagnosed, but the state refused to test her due to her having not “been in contact with someone infected or traveled internationally.”

She is still self-quarantining and, though feeling much better, has not fully recovered.

The night before she got sick, she stayed at my brothers house.

He, his fiancée, and both of their kids now have a 100+ Fever and a dry cough.

My brother refuses to go to the doctor, saying it’s just the flu and they’ll ride it out. He doesn’t make much money and is concerned about the costs associated with going in.

This is why our system is ****ing broken. This is why we won’t contain this thing until it runs its course. People fear our expensive as **** healthcare system more than they utilize it.

I’ve tried to get the kid to go in and get tested. He isn’t budging.

I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.
That really sucks. I hope everyone pulls through.
[Reply]
EPodolak 11:35 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
You mean like at the beginning of this thread when half the posters still thought this was going to turn out to be nothing and me and a bunch of others were disagreeing with them and trying to convince people this was a real crisis? Yeah sorry for the doom and gloom on that.
This sounds like a summary of every football thread before January 2020.
[Reply]
suzzer99 03-15-2020, 11:42 PM
This message has been deleted by suzzer99.
suzzer99 11:45 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
The thing that bothers me about these Twitter posts is I have no idea who the hell most of them are and therefore have no idea how credible their information is. So I disregard nearly all of them.
The twitter post was just a link to a CNN article: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/14/healt...ead/index.html

Originally Posted by :
On Tuesday, Dr. Sandra Ciesek, director of the Institute of Medical Virology in Frankfurt, Germany, tested 24 passengers who had just flown in from Israel.

Seven of the 24 passengers tested positive for coronavirus. Four of those had no symptoms, and Ciesek was surprised to find that the viral load of the specimens from the asymptomatic patients was higher than the viral load of the specimens from the three patients who did have symptoms.

Viral load is a measure of the concentration of the virus in someone's respiratory secretions. A higher load means that someone is more likely to spread the infection to other people.

While Ciesek has not yet published this finding, on February 18, she published a letter in the New England Journal of Medicine about two passengers who returned to Germany from Wuhan, China, and tested positive for coronavirus.

One of these positive passengers had no symptoms and the other had a faint rash and a mild sore throat. When she took their testing samples back to the lab, she successfully infected a cell culture with the patients' swabs.

"We can conclude that both patients [were] shedding virus that is able to infect cells, and, most likely, other humans," Ciesek wrote in an email to CNN.

Early, large-scale studies using mathematical modelling of outbreaks in Tianjin, China, and Singapore in January and February have also found significant amounts of spread by people who had not yet developed symptoms.

Both studies were posted on MedRxiv, a pre-print server founded by Yale University, the medical journal BMJ and Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in New York. Articles on this server have not been reviewed by the authors' scientific peers.

A study posted Sunday by Belgian and Dutch researchers shows that between 48% and 66% of the 91 people in the Singapore cluster contracted the infection from someone who was pre-symptomatic. Of the 135 people in the Tianjin cluster, between 62% and 77% caught it from someone was pre-symptomatic.

One of the study's lead authors, Tapiwa Ganyani at the Data Science Institute at Hasselt University in Belgium, noted in an email to CNN that these are estimates with uncertainties.

Canadian, Dutch and Singaporean researchers looked at the same outbreaks in Tianjin and Singapore and found that infection was transmitted on average 2.55 days and 2.89 days before symptom onset respectively in each location.

"Our analysis would suggest that presymptomatic transmission is pretty commonplace," said the study's lead author, Caroline Colijn, who leads the mathematics, genomics and prediction in infection and evolution research group at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia.

[Reply]
srvy 11:46 PM 03-15-2020
It's CNN you dipshit.

Seriously stop following me around and trolling every post I make. You've never once added any useful content. Whatever grudge you have get over it. I'm putting you on ignore for good.
neither have you chicken little.
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:49 PM 03-15-2020
Can't see your post. I deleted mine. Never replying to you again. Troll away.
[Reply]
srvy 11:52 PM 03-15-2020

[Reply]
suzzer99 11:58 PM 03-15-2020

The first shipment of masks and coronavirus test kits to the US is taking off from Shanghai. All the best to our friends in America. �� pic.twitter.com/LTn26gvlOl

— Jack Ma (@JackMa) March 16, 2020

Here's some good news.
[Reply]
Bugeater 12:00 AM 03-16-2020
The twitter post was just a link to a CNN article: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/14/healt...ead/index.html
:-) Read the damn post and completely missed the link.

Anyway, if true, that really sucks. It means the only way to get this under control is to test everyone (not happening) or isolating everyone (not happening).
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:01 AM 03-16-2020

We’re 10 days behind what happened to Italy and people are still out partying and helping this thing spread to the vulnerable . #StayTheFHome pic.twitter.com/QVjH7MYL2V

— Vinny Guadagnino (@VINNYGUADAGNINO) March 16, 2020

This might actually be some good news too. At least we're taking major measures to slow the spread now. And we're a bigger country. Maybe we can just sneak in under the hospital crunch in most cities. Although we're also barely testing, so we know our actual cases are much higher than Italy's actual cases at the same day.

Then if we could just get S. Korea level testing - we could probably let some economic activity resume in maybe a month or something. Although my boss said the experience from China is to expect 2 months minimum.
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:03 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
:-) Read the damn post and completely missed the link.

Anyway, if true, that really sucks. It means the only way to get this under control is to test everyone (not happening) or isolating everyone (not happening).
Maybe if we get it to calm down, and then test and isolate like crazy like S. Korea.
[Reply]
Bugeater 12:03 AM 03-16-2020

Here's some good news.
I was kidding with my earlier post but I'll take it.

[Reply]
Demonpenz 12:06 AM 03-16-2020
My entire family got home from italy last Wednesday. They are getting calls everyday to by the (GOV?) to see if they are sick.
[Reply]
Bugeater 12:08 AM 03-16-2020
Maybe if we get it to calm down, and then test and isolate like crazy like S. Korea.
Absolutely. And the testing needs to begin with health care workers. We can't have them in fear of coming to work. Strongside's story is not sitting well with me at all.
[Reply]
Page 301 of 3903
« First < 201251291297298299300301 3023033043053113514018011301 > Last »
Up