ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 197 of 3903
« First < 97147187193194195196197 1981992002012072472976971197 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
carlos3652 10:36 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Is it overkill at this point if drastic measures were taken to the level of:

Suspend all air travel
All interstate travel is shut down
Require all non essential businesses to suspend business
Encourage everyone to stay at home
Ban all groupings of a certain amount of people
I can see this happening if it gets out of control in a specific state... as in no travel in or out to minimize the spread rate.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:38 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Is it overkill at this point if drastic measures were taken to the level of:

Suspend all air travel
All interstate travel is shut down
isnt that like closing the barn door after the horse has left the barn?

It’s everywhere now. We have no clue how bad it is or what areas have the largest concentration of infected people because there is no fucking wide spread testing 4 weeks into this outbreak.
[Reply]
SupDock 10:39 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
The problem with testing is it's only good for that particular moment in time. I can test negative and 10 minutes later be exposed to someone who has the virus and there you have it.

We need to test but there is a lot of overrated expectations right now about what pre-emptive testing like what SK did really gets you.

Unless you lock everyone up and release them one by one as they test negative then large scale testing is going to be overrated.
Be mindful that a very small percentage of people with the virus are likely being tested and confirmed.

The people getting sick now were likely infected 1-2 weeks ago. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that we have 20 times as many cases as positive tests, because hardly anyone is being tested.
[Reply]
SupDock 10:41 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:

It’s everywhere now. We have no clue how bad it is or what areas have the largest concentration of infected people because there is no fucking wide spread testing 4 weeks into this outbreak.
This is my thought as well. We have no idea who has contacted the virus at this point.

The next 2 weeks will tell us a lot. If we start to see a lot of sick people (admitted to the hospital level of sick) we will have our answer.
[Reply]
zigbazah 10:49 PM 03-12-2020
next 2-3 weeks will make or break. everything should be shut down as much as possible through then or it'll just get even worse.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:53 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
Be mindful that a very small percentage of people with the virus are likely being tested and confirmed.

The people getting sick now were likely infected 1-2 weeks ago. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that we have 20 times as many cases as positive tests, because hardly anyone is being tested.
I wouldn't either. My point is a lot of people are calling for South Korean type testing which was largely pre-emptive testing. And to that point it's only worth that particular moment in which you are tested.

I have had some doctors tell me they know for a fact there are more cases than what has been reported and that is potentially a good thing. That means up until this point, if people had this they are thinking they have the flu and doing the things you do to get over the flu and we don't have large groups of people dropping dead. So potentially our mortality rate and recovery rate is better than we think.

You also run the risk of people who have died being chalked up to dying from something else but that's the down side of it.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:55 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by zigbazah:
next 2-3 weeks will make or break. everything should be shut down as much as possible through then or it'll just get even worse.
That's an assumption. We have a level of hysteria going on right now that isn't productive. In the end we could very well end up telling people if you feel sick and are otherwise healthy and under the age of 75 then just stay home and take care of yourself like you would if you had the flu. Perhaps your doctor might prescribe an anti-viral but outside of being critical, there isn't a lot else you can do.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:55 PM 03-12-2020

That’s what I’m saying.

Don’t wait for it to get worse.

Isolate this thing and suffocate it.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:56 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
This is my thought as well. We have no idea who has contacted the virus at this point.

The next 2 weeks will tell us a lot. If we start to see a lot of sick people (admitted to the hospital level of sick) we will have our answer.
Personally I think we would have already started seeing that. Or perhaps we are but until now it was for what we thought was something else. Again, this is a very bad flu season so you have to wonder how many people are being told or think they have the flu and perhaps they have covid?
[Reply]
petegz28 10:59 PM 03-12-2020

It’s everywhere now. We have no clue how bad it is or what areas have the largest concentration of infected people because there is no ****ing wide spread testing 4 weeks into this outbreak.
Wide spread testing is overrated. All it takes is for 1 person who is infected to go into an area that largely tested negative to flip that scale. Testing for the sake of testing will produce a false sense of security to a degree.
[Reply]
patteeu 11:05 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by penguinz:
You reduce population by killing off those who are able to reproduce. Not by killing off those who have lived their lives.
A better conspiracy is that it’s designed to reduce the American entitlements problem. Or maybe a more widespread social safety net problem in the West. Plan A is to make it look like this virus came from a wet market. Plan B is to release it in the city where China’s only top level bio lab is so they can try to pin it on the Chinese if plan A falls through. Meanwhile, an unstoppable plague blows though and cleans out the West’s post-producers (the old and unfit).
[Reply]
carlos3652 11:09 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:
A better conspiracy is that it’s designed to reduce the American entitlements problem. Or maybe a more widespread social safety net problem in the West. Plan A is to make it look like this virus came from a wet market. Plan B is to release it in the city where China’s only top level bio lab is so they can try to pin it on the Chinese if plan A falls through. Meanwhile, an unstoppable plague blows though and cleans out the West’s post-producers (the old and unfit).
Seems reasonable too... It just amazing to me that the virus is literally doing specific / targeted damage vs say the H1N1 or MERS
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:10 PM 03-12-2020
This is a damn good question

How did the Jazz get 58 coronavirus tests during a national shortage https://t.co/Sz3qsX84kB

— Lindsey Adler (@lindseyadler) March 12, 2020

[Reply]
petegz28 11:10 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:
If I were to buy into a conspiracy theory it would be along these lines.
[Reply]
carlos3652 11:14 PM 03-12-2020
This is a damn good question

So are we now complaining that there is more testing being done?
[Reply]
Page 197 of 3903
« First < 97147187193194195196197 1981992002012072472976971197 > Last »
Up