ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Let’s revisit Chris Jones
RunKC 12:37 PM 10-16-2019
Okay, so we know this guy wants Frank Clark money. We wanted him to take Fletcher Cox money.

It’s a contract year from him and here is what he has done through about half the season:

2 sacks
8 tackles
2 TFL
7 QB hits

He’s hurt again, which I believe is his 3rd injury since being here. Fortunately none of them are major.

So, do you try to resign this guy for Fletcher Cox money ($18 million AAV-cap rise means more due to %) or do you trade him?

If you want to trade him, what do you expect his market to be if he only gets 4 sacks this season?
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:06 PM 10-16-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
It's apparently difficult to even find 2 guys that can play.

Gutting the talent is not the solution. It doesn't make you just happen to find guys.

You need guys you can depend on week by week. Chris Jones has basically given you a sack every goddamn game he's played in since the start of last season.

Then you build around those kind of guys.
All that sounds good. And normally I’d agree. But if you’d give me the choice between like or 2016 defense that had a shitload of names but wasn’t very productive or 11 no name guys that can play I’m taking the no namers.

I just have trouble paying dudes not named mahomes at the top of the market. Jones comes down a little bit and I’m all over that like stink on shit.
[Reply]
Flying High D 01:08 PM 10-16-2019
Slags would serve a prime rib dinner with a salad that would give everybody food poisoning. The prime rib was great, too bad the salad made everybody wish they were dead.
[Reply]
ModSocks 01:12 PM 10-16-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
All that sounds good. And normally I’d agree. But if you’d give me the choice between like or 2016 defense that had a shitload of names but wasn’t very productive or 11 no name guys that can play I’m taking the no namers.

I just have trouble paying dudes not named mahomes at the top of the market. Jones comes down a little bit and I’m all over that like stink on shit.
Here's the problem, 11-no name guys that can play isn't a thing. That's not real. It's pure fiction.

When you put 11- no name guys on a defense you get a really, really shitty defense more often than not.

Right now you are witnessing a defense with 9-no name guys who everyone here was piping all off-season as being "good enough".

When you have talent you do your best to maintain those guys and you build around them. When you completely nuke a roster and start from scratch with a bunch of JAGS you get the 2019 Chiefs defense.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:26 PM 10-16-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Eric Berry and Justin Houston gave you All-Pro seasons, and in their prime gave you a premier defense.

You can't just be gun shy about paying elite players.

Every time this argument comes up i say the same shit. And ya'll essentially argue that we should have a team full of JAGS.

Well here's your defense full of JAGS. Enjoy.
Their best years were in contract seasons. Didn’t do anything once they got paid.

And yes an older banged up Chris Jones scares the shit out of me. He’s been hurt in 2 of 3 playoff games.

I’m okay paying him, but it has to protect us. It needs to be something like 4 years with most of the guaranteed $$ up front with a way out after 2 years.
[Reply]
scho63 01:44 PM 10-16-2019
NO MORE BIG CONTRACTS! They have ALL been a complete waste
[Reply]
MIAdragon 01:47 PM 10-16-2019
Originally Posted by Toad:
Jones is a good tag and trade candidate. If they don’t receive a min 1st round offer, then he plays on the tag for a year (or 2).
He won’t play on the tag.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 01:48 PM 10-16-2019
Tag and trade him. He has a Justin Houston feel to him.
[Reply]
BossChief 01:54 PM 10-16-2019
I want to see how he does when he returns. What he brings to the defense down the stretch and in the playoffs will dictate his value in an extension. It’s on CJ95 to prove that he’s worth elite money.

Veach and Jones would be smart to agree on a short term extension. Keeping CJ95 in KC while KC matures as a team will let CJ95 either step up or show he can’t. That plan would allow Jones to get another payday at age 27/28 to max out his career earnings, as well. I’m sure with the new CBA in place by then, he and his agent would love that type of extension.

Something like 2 year extension for 38m. 18m next year and 20m in 2021. Some kind of financial incentive towards improving his run defense would be smart.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:56 PM 10-16-2019
Like I said in the offseason, he's always been a bit nicked up, and this is why they were reluctant to pay him most likely.

It's only going to get worse the older he gets.

No way I give him anything.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 02:04 PM 10-16-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Like I said in the offseason, he's always been a bit nicked up, and this is why they were reluctant to pay him most likely.

It's only going to get worse the older he gets.

No way I give him anything.
Yep, I was referring to his injury issues in the offseason, but I was flamed for mentioning .

I was told Chris Jones isn't injury prone, and shouldn't be worried about it.

Huh, it was a similar response when I inferred that the Chiefs should acquire a feature back in the draft somewhere in the 1st to 3rd round before the Colts game.

The idea is protecting the investment which is PMII so he doesn't have go into GODE MODE every game.
[Reply]
FAH-Q 02:06 PM 10-16-2019
The Clark deal really hamstrings anything you try to do with another linemen, and the one thing I have learned from past mistakes the Chiefs have made is you do not pay elite money to players who aren’t elite at everything. Jones is an awesome pass rusher, but his run defense is not good, and is nowhere near elite. This team has got to get better at handing out big contracts, because I can’t think of one recently that they’ve actually gotten a good return on. This is obviously going to be even more important once we resign Mahomes.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:16 PM 10-16-2019
we're gonna need the Jones money anyway for Mahomes....if you dump Jones and Watkins you are gonna have a lot of room to play with in FA on defenders who can actually stop the run and people who can block
[Reply]
BossChief 02:29 PM 10-16-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
we're gonna need the Jones money anyway for Mahomes....if you dump Jones and Watkins you are gonna have a lot of room to play with in FA on defenders who can actually stop the run and people who can block
You’re better than this.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:30 PM 10-16-2019
Originally Posted by BossChief:
You’re better than this.
no, you are

chris jones is not long for KC
[Reply]
RunKC 02:35 PM 10-16-2019
If we could do a deal similar to Grady Jarrett, it would be ideal. That guy is making $42 million compared to Cox’s $63 million, but that’s bc his contract is 2 years shorter.

Give him $50 million guaranteed on a 4 year deal structures like this:

First year cap hit is low, 2nd year is manageable and we could post June 1st his ass and after 2 years and have minimal damage.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up