ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 9
« First < 23456 789 >
Nzoner's Game Room>NFL Approves New Kickoff Rule
SHOWTIME 07:30 AM 03-26-2024

����������������: The #NFL has approved the new kickoff rule change, per @jjones9

Owners voted in favor of it 29-3. pic.twitter.com/fhlNNT25q1

— JPAFootball (@jasrifootball) March 26, 2024

New NFL kickoffs will look like this. pic.twitter.com/1fl16KSi4E

— Adam Schelfer (@AdamSche1fer) March 26, 2024

[Reply]
Chiefnj2 06:12 AM 03-27-2024
There will likely be an NFL record for single season kickoff TD returns.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 06:43 AM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by Kman34:
JFC… Calm down Francis.. This is better than watching touch backs all game long..
That remains to be seen. Looks like stupid XFL bullshit to me instead of just letting guys line up and play but we shall see how it goes.
[Reply]
tyreekthefreak 06:45 AM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by Kman34:
JFC… Calm down Francis.. This is better than watching touch backs all game long..
No, it's gonna be arena football. You don't want to watch touchbacks move the kickoff back 10 yards. This change isn't for safety reasons as touchbacks are pretty damn safe! This change is to increase scoring and excitement just like arena football.

You'll see it after every score. Break a couple tackles and it will be returned for a touchdown. It's going to be a bigger part of the game than people realize.
[Reply]
-King- 07:06 AM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
That remains to be seen. Looks like stupid XFL bullshit to me instead of just letting guys line up and play but we shall see how it goes.
...are they not still lining up and playing?

I had no idea some people loved watching the ball sail out of the end zone so much
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 07:17 AM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by -King-:
...are they not still lining up and playing?

I had no idea some people loved watching the ball sail out of the end zone so much
They are still kicking the ball from the same spot so there will still be a ton of that
[Reply]
-King- 07:21 AM 03-27-2024
They are still kicking the ball from the same spot so there will still be a ton of that
Maybe you should read the new rules before complaining about them?
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 07:26 AM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by -King-:
Maybe you should read the new rules before complaining about them?
Why? I'm not the one playing. I'll wait and see how it goes.

I'm not complaining, I'm just saying it looks stupid but I'm hopeful it will be alright
[Reply]
DaFace 07:31 AM 03-27-2024
A touchback puts the ball on the 30, so there's a bigger incentive to make the other team return it.
[Reply]
SAGA45 07:31 AM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
There will likely be an NFL record for single season kickoff TD returns.
As well as for drives started inside the opponent's 50. I could see the top-three scoring defenses with consistent averages in the low 20s going forward, whereas, in previous years, that'd typically land you around 10th-20th.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 07:31 AM 03-27-2024
:-)
Originally Posted by DaFace:
A touchback puts the ball on the 30, so there's a bigger incentive to make the other team return it.
Oh okay. My bad.
[Reply]
Hayneplane 08:41 AM 03-27-2024
Don’t think it changes much for our strategy. Teams will want to make us run it back more if they can but it will be an even bigger advantage to start on the 30 than 25 for Mahomes and co. In D I still expect them to instruct Butker to wang it out of the stadium and back the D to make a stop.

I very much dislike the near total removal of the inside kick even though few coaches were brave enough to utilise it anyway.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:45 AM 03-27-2024
Reid should do the kickoffs now. Having a kicker that can tackle someone as your last line of defense will have value.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:08 AM 03-27-2024
Was it adjusted so touchbacks are at the 30 rather than at the 25? I had seen the 35 only.

Fuck it. I'd still kick it through the end zone most of the time. 5 yards is nothing.
[Reply]
jd1020 10:11 AM 03-27-2024
Still feel like they should just move the spot back to where only handful of kickers can blast it out of the end zone and keep the starting spot at the 20. This rule eliminates the advantage of having a kicker with a big leg.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:35 AM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Was it adjusted so touchbacks are at the 30 rather than at the 25? I had seen the 35 only.

Fuck it. I'd still kick it through the end zone most of the time. 5 yards is nothing.
Yes and sounds like they are going to experiment with the 30 yd line first and if they don't get the results they want they will move it up to the 35.

Reading up on how the XFL does it the kicker does kick it from the 35 still but a touchback goes to the 35.

Originally Posted by :
The touchback rule

If a kick hits in the end zone and stays inbounds, it can be either returned or downed. If downed then touchback to the 30-yard line. Any kick that goes out of the back of the end zone (in the air or bounces), results in a touchback to the 30-yard line.

"This is one year only," said Atlanta Falcons CEO and Competition Committee Chairman Rich McKay. "We'll be able to tweak it so maybe the touchback returns to the 35. This will definitely reduce the return number, so something we thought could be as high as 85-90% will be around 50-60%. That's okay with us.

"The extra five yards, if you kick the touchback, is good for offense. That's the starting point. If it works the way we think it will, could it go to 35? Sure."

[Reply]
Page 6 of 9
« First < 23456 789 >
Up