ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1877 of 3903
« First < 877137717771827186718731874187518761877 187818791880188118871927197723772877 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 11:08 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
So the New York cases and hospitalizations and such are going down very quickly. Why is it happening there? Are they just that much better at social distancing?
It seems like a lot of the "hot spots" have hit a point where things suddenly start to drop rapidly. Perhaps once things start to get really dire people start taking social distancing very seriously?

I think there's also likely SOME impact to "herd immunity" in isolated groups as well. For example, it's hard to imagine that there are many hospital workers in NYC right now who haven't already been exposed to it. Again, that doesn't necessarily help the nation as a whole unless we just let it run wild, but it might be an indicator that there's some limit to growth.
[Reply]
TLO 11:08 AM 05-05-2020
So the New York cases and hospitalizations and such are going down very quickly. Why is it happening there? Are they just that much better at social distancing?
Something you might be interested in too - Missouri is supposed to be launching a new website this week, which is going to have a ton of Missouri specific data, including in house models Missouri has been using to base decisions on reopening the state.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 11:11 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Here is what Dr Fauci has repeatedly said about flattening the curve
Is this true for all viruses, say such as the flu?
[Reply]
BleedingRed 11:11 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I think there's also likely SOME impact to "herd immunity" in isolated groups as well. For example, it's hard to imagine that there are many hospital workers in NYC right now who haven't already been exposed to it. Again, that doesn't necessarily help the nation as a whole unless we just let it run wild, but it might be an indicator that there's some limit to growth.
Actually I think we can already conclude that based on the rate of infection in the world.

We are at 3.6 Million confirmed cases, shouldn't that have been doubling?
[Reply]
O.city 11:12 AM 05-05-2020
It seems like a lot of the "hot spots" have hit a point where things suddenly start to drop rapidly. Perhaps once things start to get really dire people start taking social distancing very seriously?

The thing with the "we need 60% for immunity" thing is that it assumes every is susceptible or will get it. There's a few studies creeping out that it may not be nearly that high for that to be the case.

NY might be an example of that?
[Reply]
Donger 11:13 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Sure enjoy staying indoors for years. Lmao
Just making a correction.

Now, in the real world, you can do plenty to minimize the odds of being infected, which is precisely why mitigation efforts were introduced.

This is so simple, it boggles my mind that there are people out there who don't understand it.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 11:14 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Just making a correction.

Now, in the real world, you can do plenty to minimize the odds of being infected, which is precisely why mitigation efforts were introduced.

This is so simple, it boggles my mind that there are people out there who don't understand it.
You're arguing a point no one made, but /Dongerthings

Again if you think that you are going to stop the infection enjoy staying inside of years. Because this thing will continue to be spread around just like the flu every year.

I wouldn't hold out hope for a vaccine either.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:15 AM 05-05-2020
I still primarily focus on deaths. It's tough because it's a lagging indicator, but cases is just too dependent on testing rates to make a lot of sense of.
I've started following some of the model making types on twitter and they say the same. Something along the lines of how they're reported etc.
I have heard several say focus on deaths and hospitalizations and not necessarily cases.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:15 AM 05-05-2020
Actually I think we can already conclude that based on the rate of infection in the world.

We are at 3.6 Million confirmed cases, shouldn't that have been doubling?
Well, no. That's why everyone's doing travel restrictions and social distancing. If everything were wide open still, it'd probably be close to the original pace as it continues to creep into untouched areas.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:16 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Do you keep track of other foods you eat?

Slices of pizza?
Hot dogs?
Popsicles?
Hot dogs? Rarely. Popsicles and any thing with sugar? Never.

There's a great pizza place in Hollywood that not only bakes great pizza but does Take & Bake as well. We purchased from there 5 times last year and I probably had close to 10 pieces all year.

We're chicken, fish, vegetable and fruit people. I replaced eggs with egg whites way back in 2008 and try to eat 4 avocados a week and a green apple every day. My biggest "vice" is chips and salsa, although I've really cut back in the past 20 months or so to maybe once every 10-12 days.

Diet is directly related to health, which is probably why I haven't been sick with a cold or flu since 2015, even with kids in preschool, elementary and middle school during that time.
[Reply]
Donger 11:17 AM 05-05-2020
You're arguing a point no one made, but /Dongerthings

Again if you think that you are going to stop the infection enjoy staying inside of years. Because this thing will continue to be spread around just like the flu every year.

I wouldn't hold out hope for a vaccine either.
It wasn't an argument. It was a statement of fact. But, like I said, perhaps it's too simple for some people to understand.

Again, if everyone did stay away from other people, this would very quickly be gone. But, that's not practical or feasible. You do realize that this is spread by human contact, right?
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 11:18 AM 05-05-2020
Maybe in your fantasy world people can continue to remain shut-in at their homes, but things such as jobs, kids, etc, will require most people to re-emerge back into society and get exposed to the virus.
[Reply]
ghak99 11:18 AM 05-05-2020
You said, "Getting infected is unavoidable." That means you think everyone will get it.

Of course you can hide from it.
For the normal person, it is. You can't control your environment to the point that it would be avoidable and still live a normal life for the next 5 decades or however long you live.

If you want to revisit this post vaccine or self destruction have at it.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:19 AM 05-05-2020
As an interesting hypothetical for those strongly in the "open everything up" camp:

Would you welcome a group of 10 tourists from NYC to come and dine at your favorite restaurant in your community next week? If not, what restrictions would you want to remain in place?
[Reply]
Donger 11:20 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Maybe in your fantasy world people can continue to remain shut-in at their homes, but things such as jobs, kids, etc, will require most people to re-emerge back into society and get exposed to the virus.
Yes, that will happen, I agree.
[Reply]
Page 1877 of 3903
« First < 877137717771827186718731874187518761877 187818791880188118871927197723772877 > Last »
Up