ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 81 of 934
« First < 31717778798081 8283848591131181581 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:26 AM 08-02-2017
Supposedly the next wave of huge runs is supposed to come from Artificial Intelligence. There are going to be gains that will actually make our first Trillionaires according to Mark Cuban. Think about the new computers programmed to LEARN instead of just performing programmed functions. Self driving cars ,robotics etc....

The next 3 years is the window for HUGE gains in this sector.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:24 AM 08-02-2017
Originally Posted by Hog Farmer:
Supposedly the next wave of huge runs is supposed to come from Artificial Intelligence. There are going to be gains that will actually make our first Trillionaires according to Mark Cuban. Think about the new computers programmed to LEARN instead of just performing programmed functions. Self driving cars ,robotics etc....

Self driving cars and robotics exist without AI. It's pretty much just a route with collision avoidance or a set of instructions respectively.

As with Self Driving cars I would anticipate that the lawyers will have to get out of the way before any of the good shit can happen.

Here is what is holding up the ag industry on self driving tractors. That shit is easy and they could do it right now with the technology already in the machines. But with current setups there is a screen you have to clear every day that says, "operator is responsible for collision avoidance." Problem being that if the operator isn't around for collision avoidance, who is? Well you will be relying on Technology in the tractor. Which is fine. Doesn't have to be anything spectacular there isn't a lot out in the field.

Problem is that if a tractor hits something, whatever it is, some
Douchebag kid that got drunk and passed out in a field because they listened to some shit country music song, whatever. Someone gets hurt and there is no operator all liability will fall with the manufacturer. And mother Deere won't stand for that.

Therefore the lawyers have to get out of the way first. I'd imagine it is the same with GM Ford whoever for the self driving cars. It also makes sense that it would transfer to AI too. Company makes machine that thinks independently. Damage occurs from machine. Who is there to blame? Manufacturer.

Maybe if you're looking for a stock, figure out which ones have the best lawyers.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:40 AM 08-02-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I would all but guarantee scotts isn't providing the fertilizer for weed unless they have seriously bamboozled some execs. There is waaaaaaay cheaper fertilizers out there. Unless Scott's is something different.
You're better than this cowboy. You have to know Scotts is more than just fertilizer.

They're associated with weed due to their hydroponics research and expansion in this area. Still a small part of their company makeup but expected to get bigger.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foo...racle-gro.aspx
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:52 AM 08-02-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
You're better than this cowboy. You have to know Scotts is more than just fertilizer.

They're associated with weed due to their hydroponics research and expansion in this area. Still a small part of their company makeup but expected to get bigger.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foo...racle-gro.aspx
I'm a shit cowboy. Corn doesn't break down fences or charge your ass.

Only thing I've known Scott's for is yard shit. I didn't even think about hydroponics. Shows how much I know about weed. I'd learn if Kansas legalized it though. I need to sell something that is worth some fucking money.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:09 AM 08-02-2017
Self driving cars and robotics exist without AI as of now but over the next 3 years they are going to be enabled to learn, thats where the next wave is supposedly taking place.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:13 AM 08-02-2017
Self driving cars and robotics exist without AI as of now but over the next 3 years they are going to be enabled to learn, thats where the next wave is supposedly taking place.
Limiting manufacturer liability will still be the main impediment to getting this stuff to market.
[Reply]
scho63 01:18 PM 08-02-2017

Facebook just had to shut down an AI test project as the computers started talking to each other in their own language they made on the fly! No one knew how it happened and what it meant. That's some crazy shit right there. :-)
[Reply]
Demonpenz 07:17 PM 08-02-2017
I will be impressed if computers can go a day without bos
[Reply]
lewdog 05:33 PM 08-04-2017
Well so much for me purchasing that Marijuana ETF.

It's only offered on the Toronto Stock exchange and TD Ameritrade does not allow trading a foreign exchange.

It's the first of it's kind and there's no ETF or Index for the US market for marijuana yet.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:04 PM 08-04-2017

It's only offered on the Toronto Stock exchange and TD Ameritrade does not allow trading a foreign exchange.

It's the first of it's kind and there's no ETF or Index for the US market for marijuana yet.
Y'know, I was wondering how American stock markets can trade shares in companies that participate in illegal activity. If banks can't take their money, it seems like people shouldn't be able to invest in them.

Can you buy shares of an individual marijuana company?
[Reply]
lewdog 07:53 PM 08-04-2017
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Y'know, I was wondering how American stock markets can trade shares in companies that participate in illegal activity. If banks can't take their money, it seems like people shouldn't be able to invest in them.

Can you buy shares of an individual marijuana company?
Most of it's medical marijuana companies so nothing illegal about it. Much of it has to do with Canada and the push to legalize across the board there.

But if it's only traded in Canada, many brokerage firms won't allow you to buy shares if you're trading on the US market.

Only Marijuana related purchased this past year for me was UBQU. Which is a loose term given the current direction which is now getting into cryptocurrency. But the company offers a Hemp line product that looked promising so I took a chance with a little bit of money. Total penny stock so it's more for fun than anything. Headquartered in Denver actually.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/ubqu

Outside of that, the marijuana market is still very risky with tons of competitors looking to make a splash, no major standouts. Hence me wanting an index or ETF to be slightly less risky while still investing in that sector.
[Reply]
Cornstock 09:57 PM 08-04-2017
Originally Posted by Cornstock:
Tangent question to this, I remember the local banks in areas that had marijuana industries had all kinds of logistical headaches trying to keep "green" money separate from normal money when the industries were blossoming (pun intended) to comply with federal regulations around the source of funds. I haven't followed it closely enough to see if this was ever resolved.

My question is if these restrictions pertain to equity stakes to the companies, especially in jurisdictions where marijuana is still very illegal.

Anyone have any insight to this?

That answers my question, they must not have the legalities figured out for non legal jurisdictions yet.
[Reply]
Cornstock 10:07 PM 08-04-2017

Outside of that, the marijuana market is still very risky with tons of competitors looking to make a splash, no major standouts. Hence me wanting an index or ETF to be slightly less risky while still investing in that sector.
This is another concern I have about investing in that area outside of an etf. There are so many players, even if the industry eventually has widespread legalization, you could pick the wrong company and lose your investment.

Even an extremely broad etf will participate in the loser's losses. Will the gains by the winners be enough to offset these losses enough to make it a worthwhile investment?

That's rhetorical, as there is no etf that encompasses the industry yet. I did see a fund company that lets you create your own etfs, and if others buy it you earn a commission. But that hearkens back to the other issue, none of these companies are tradeable outside of legal jurisdictions.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:14 AM 08-05-2017
Most of it's medical marijuana companies so nothing illegal about it. Much of it has to do with Canada and the push to legalize across the board there.

But if it's only traded in Canada, many brokerage firms won't allow you to buy shares if you're trading on the US market.

Only Marijuana related purchased this past year for me was UBQU. Which is a loose term given the current direction which is now getting into cryptocurrency. But the company offers a Hemp line product that looked promising so I took a chance with a little bit of money. Total penny stock so it's more for fun than anything. Headquartered in Denver actually.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/ubqu

Good point. I keep forgetting about the medical market.

I wonder, though, if the companies being traded are only medical. A company selling recreational marijuana is still engaged in illegal activity by most states' definition.

And a marijuana company engaged in cryptocurrency? Nothing suspicious about that at all.
[Reply]
DRU 09:49 PM 08-06-2017
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Lloyds banking and other financial stocks down by as much as 25% in 2 days.

That was my point-the money was made on the way down-not trying to time the bottom of the market and hold until it corrects. How long will it take Lloyds to gain that back?

I thought CS and DB had bottomed out, but they just got hammered again. I lost over 5% in my RBC stocks and BMO that killed the slow gains from a month of steady climbing. I will get a nice dividend in a few weeks that will be reinvested at the lower stock price-but it is still crap since they are some of the most solid banks in the world and have a low exposure to Europe compared to most other banks. :-)
Look at Lloyd's growth rates over the last 10 years. Yuck! No wonder.

[Reply]
Page 81 of 934
« First < 31717778798081 8283848591131181581 > Last »
Up