ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1393 of 3903
« First < 39389312931343138313891390139113921393 139413951396139714031443149318932393 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 06:49 PM 04-14-2020
Well, a shit day. Looks like were going to exceed yesterday's new case growth, but not by much.

Deaths.... ugh.
[Reply]
DaFace 06:50 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Uh that's a pretty shitty way of putting it. The question is how many people are you willing to let die before you start causing ancillary harm by trying to keep them alive?

I mean we know people die of the flu every year right? Do we not shut down because we don't care and just want what we want or do we not shut down because the costs of doing so vs. the costs of not doing so are acceptable?

When you say how many people are you willing to let die just to get what you want I am afraid frames the question in a very inaccurate and argumentative light.
I think I just like talking about it directly rather than pretending that it's not what we're talking about. We choose to let people die every year from the flu - yes. We have determined that the cost of reducing those deaths isn't worth it.

This virus causes far more deaths than the flu. The societal cost of keeping the death toll low is the crux of the issue.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:50 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Well, a shit day. Looks like were going to exceed yesterday's new case growth, but not by much.

Deaths.... ugh.
Yeah the deaths were bad today. New cases meh...no real movement one way or the other.
[Reply]
Donger 06:51 PM 04-14-2020
Again counter argument....

There were 25k new cases today....(Take out NY\NJ) there were only 10k new cases today nationwide....except NY\NJ
I think regional decisions supersede the overall national decision.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:51 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I think I just like talking about it directly rather than pretending that it's not what we're talking about. We choose to let people die every year from the flu - yes. We have determined that the cost of reducing those deaths isn't worth it.

This virus causes far more deaths than the flu. The societal cost of keeping the death toll low is the crux of the issue.
Societal cost is accurate. "To get what you want"....not so much. And I am not arguing this vs. the flu. The flu was once much more deadly than it is today for that matter.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:52 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
I think regional decisions supersede the overall national decision.
I would tend to agree with that.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 06:54 PM 04-14-2020
She said the symptoms are severe than she was led to believe.
[Reply]
Dunit35 06:55 PM 04-14-2020
Yep. I also think the debate gets lost when we talk about things in generalities. For example, "opening things up" isn't going to fix the economy. You're still not going to be going to concerts, attending sporting events, or even going to a crowded restaurant. Likewise, "people will die" doesn't really get very specific either. It's all nuanced and based on personal values. I'm just glad I'm not a politician who has to make an actual decision based on all of that mess.
How bout we start with doing elective surgeries and having regular doctor visits. Get the money rolling into the hospitals again. Instead of them waiting for this “surge” that they keep postponing because they won’t admit it’s not coming.

Coworkers husband thought he was having a heart attack Saturday. His wife rushes him to the ER only for them to make him stand out by the door answering questions before letting him in. The guy is having chest pains and you make him wait.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 06:55 PM 04-14-2020
Hope she does okay. Healthcare workers are taking it in on the chin right now. Hope she gets better sooner rather than later.
She sounds ok. Hope it doesnt go from ok to dire but seems ok.
[Reply]
philfree 07:09 PM 04-14-2020
Sure, if you'd prefer to think of it that way. Either way, you have to make a decision about how many people you're willing to let die in order to get what you want.
We try not to "let" anyone die but some will. We still mitigate as much as possible. Then we treat the ones who get sick and try and keep the death toll to a minimum. So when we get the testing down, the treatments that work, we have the vents and beds available places could start to open up. Not Vegas and places that are so congested as NY but a lot of places.
[Reply]
Bwana 07:20 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by Lprechaun:
Holy crap Michigan!
"For at least until then, Michiganders won't be allowed to travel to in-state vacation residences. They are not permitted to use a motor boat. Business restrictions have been tightened, including that large stores must close areas "dedicated to carpeting, flooring, furniture, garden centers, plant nurseries, or paint," among other measures. Violators could be fined or charged with a misdemeanor, though the practicality of strict enforcement was unclear"
You cant buy seeds to plant your own vegetables just in case this last a lot longer than expected. Cant paint or do general home repairs.
Yeah they have gone fucking crazy over it.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:29 PM 04-14-2020
No link but local news reporting that IL governor is meeting with leaders from neighboring states regarding a roadmap to "reopen". The majority of Chicago summer festivals have already been canceled, which is huge for industry and morale. So I'm hopeful this means at least the start of a strategic collaboration outlining an idea of what reopening can entail. These should be regional decisions separate of national outliers.
[Reply]
RustShack 07:32 PM 04-14-2020
So why did we close anything in the first place if we are opening with no changes? It’s just going to spike again.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:34 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by RustShack:
So why did we close anything in the first place if we are opening with no changes? It’s just going to spike again.
Who said we are opening with no changes? And why does it have to spike?
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:34 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by RustShack:
To not overload the hospitals. Now that we have a better data, hopefully we can turn the economy back on to a degree and still not run out of beds/ventilators. or whatever.
[Reply]
Page 1393 of 3903
« First < 39389312931343138313891390139113921393 139413951396139714031443149318932393 > Last »
Up