ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 67 of 324
« First < 17576364656667 6869707177117167 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 03:47 PM 01-26-2019
Originally Posted by chinaski:
I thought that was Chris Jones? Maybe the same thing happened to him, but I saw a mic'd up thing with Chris Jones where he attempted to compliment Sutton, and Bob just looked like a frail old man that absolutely did not belong on a football field. You know, when you are an amped up football player you might get a little physical with your celebrations, Bob looked terrified. I'm serious. He looked like totally frightened. Weird actually.
You are correct, it was Jones. I don't know how I got them confused. Wait, I was thinking of Houston who said in reference to Bob, "we ain't going NOWHERE with this motherfucker".

:-)
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 04:01 PM 01-26-2019
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate:
Houston went over to Bob to compliment him on a play call, and Bob just stood there shaking and staring off in to space as if Houston wasn't even there. He wasn't engaged in any other action, he was just...lost. Out of it.

True, but there are a LOT of variables that come in to play with the Saints situation as well as the other "down years" that Spags has had.

Me? I'm electing to focus on those two rings the man possesses. Piss on Rob Ryan. :-)
Two?

Did he win one as a position coach or something with Baltimore?

The Giants had a good defensive run in a postseason under Spags. They were middle of the pack over the year, but Tuck, Strahan, and Umenyiora dominated.

He's a great DC like Joe Flacco is a great QB. HE had a good run but has pretty much sucked the rest of the time he's been around.

We'll see. I can't say I'm against a radical shake up, I'm just not remotely impressed with his resume. Short leash. I would have liked more turnover on the staff.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 04:04 PM 01-26-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
That Saints thing was part of bountygate and all that, really hard to judge there.
He got fired. It was enough for Payton.

The last time he was DC, in 2017, his defense was terrible.

I'm not mad about it, but I just don't see much cause to approach this with anything but skepticism.
[Reply]
Jimmya 04:12 PM 01-26-2019
NFL Network hammering Andy Reid on his hiring of only "his guys." They talked about how Andy doesn't want anyone to overshadow him and the offense. They ended the segment by saying "remember 95% of superbowls have been won by head coaches that DON'T call the offense.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 04:15 PM 01-26-2019
Originally Posted by Jimmya:
NFL Network hammering Andy Reid on his hiring of only "his guys." They talked about how Andy doesn't want anyone to overshadow him and the offense. They ended the segment by saying "remember 95% of superbowls have been won by head coaches that DON'T call the offense.
Well, Andy Reid's guys have done pretty well, I'd say.

Anyone who thinks Reid is our problem right now is fucking high.

Does he have weaknesses? Sure. All coaches do. But Andy is not our problem, he brought stability and an honest to god franchise QB to The Chiefs. Some people are fucking stupid.
[Reply]
The Franchise 04:18 PM 01-26-2019
Originally Posted by Jimmya:
If we had hired some unknown....then they’d be giving him shit for not wanting to work with a guy who had control. He only wanted someone who was going to answer to Reid and only Reid.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 04:24 PM 01-26-2019
Look, Andy considers coaching to be teaching. He likes teachers. Good teachers educate and motivate.

He doesn't like a bunch of macho bullshit posturing ala Rex Ryan or Jack Del Rio. He doesn't like bluster and bullshit. He likes teachers. it's why his assistants all do well when they leave. Good teachers make good coaches make good players.

If you want macho alpha male bullshit, go be a fan of Rex Ryan's team, or Jack Del Rio's team. Oh, that's right, they're both out of coaching AGAIN this year. I wonder why that is? Maybe it's because players tire pretty quick of bullshit-and that stuff is ALWAYS over-compensating bullshit.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 04:57 PM 01-26-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Two?

Did he win one as a position coach or something with Baltimore?

The Giants had a good defensive run in a postseason under Spags. They were middle of the pack over the year, but Tuck, Strahan, and Umenyiora dominated.

He's a great DC like Joe Flacco is a great QB. HE had a good run but has pretty much sucked the rest of the time he's been around.

We'll see. I can't say I'm against a radical shake up, I'm just not remotely impressed with his resume. Short leash. I would have liked more turnover on the staff.
Someone here had mentioned in passing that he had two to his name, though they may have been mistaken. I get the skepticism, but compared to where we finished out in the regular season, we literally can not do worse.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 06:48 PM 01-26-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Look, Andy considers coaching to be teaching. He likes teachers. Good teachers educate and motivate.

He doesn't like a bunch of macho bullshit posturing ala Rex Ryan or Jack Del Rio. He doesn't like bluster and bullshit. He likes teachers. it's why his assistants all do well when they leave. Good teachers make good coaches make good players.

If you want macho alpha male bullshit, go be a fan of Rex Ryan's team, or Jack Del Rio's team. Oh, that's right, they're both out of coaching AGAIN this year. I wonder why that is? Maybe it's because players tire pretty quick of bullshit-and that stuff is ALWAYS over-compensating bullshit.
Rex Ryan ran as innovative and creative defenses during his time with the Ravens and Jets as the NFL has seen in the past two decades. To simplify his success to 'macho bullshit' is dense AF.

This whole "If you disagree with anything the chiefs do, you should go cheer for X team" is the same garbage people barfed at me when I was repulsed by the Matt Cassel trade. Spags isn't the holy grail of defensive educators. What the hell are you even on about?

HIs defenses are very bob suttony... by that I mean fundamentally unsound.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:57 PM 01-26-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Rex Ryan ran as innovative and creative defenses during his time with the Ravens and Jets as the NFL has seen in the past two decades. To simplify his success to 'macho bullshit' is dense AF.

This whole "If you disagree with anything the chiefs do, you should go cheer for X team" is the same garbage people barfed at me when I was repulsed by the Matt Cassel trade. Spags isn't the holy grail of defensive educators. What the hell are you even on about?

HIs defenses are very bob suttony... by that I mean fundamentally unsound.
not specifically aimed at you. I'm responding to asshats that just want bluster and actually advocate guys like Jack Del Rio because he's...I don't know...an asshole i guess.

I think Ryan's a tool. His shtick has worn thin around the league it would appear.

That said, I disagree with your take on Spagnuolo.
[Reply]
jaa1025 10:35 PM 01-26-2019
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
I’ve mulled this over a while now.

Positives to Spagnuolo hire:
- Regarded as a great teacher of both tactics and technique. He is sound in his defensive philosophy which does allow his teams to make “adjustments” as players are usually well versed in assignment football.
- Has extensive knowledge/experience coaching defensive backs and linebackers. These position groups need the most work on the Chiefs roster. No more blown coverages at the goal line on game winning plays.
- Spagnuolo’s scheme will be SIMPLER for players and verbiage will not be cumbersome. Players’ skill sets will be catered to, and this defense will attack more with 1gap responsibilities for the front 7 and less read/react tendencies we saw from Sutton.
- Spagnuolo’s experience as a HC gives him better insight into personnel and I would suggest he might have more influence in the draft/free agency than the brass will ever let on. Spagnuolo is well-regarded by players and organizational personnel at all levels. He is connected, and can have a say into how he envisions this defense taking shape.
- Trust. Reid will trust Spagnuolo to get the job done. He’s been in the league a long time and knows how to coach.

Negatives to the Spagnuolo hire:
- The conversion to a 4-3 Under scheme will cause the Chiefs to have a difficult offseason. Hard decisions on players like Ford, Houston, Ragland, the secondary, and an ailing Eric Berry will mean a lot of turnover. I worry more about culture “buy-in” than scheme/execution. A lot of nrw faces will mean some growing pains.
- Time out of the league. Spagnuolo will not forget how to coach, but I am curious if he used his year out of the league to sharpen the saw, or rather, take a break. Is he hungry? Or is he just happy to be employed again? I think working with a contender with the league MVP should be motivation enough.
- While a new voice in the defensive locker room should be inspiring and motivating, the fact that players seem to love “Spags” is arguably an eventual downfall of his too. He has been accused of being too loyal to his players in the face of a need for discipline/accountability.
- Statistical record of work. Mediocrity might be the operative word. Maybe at this point, the Chiefs and their fanbase gladly accept mediocrity.

All in all, I think this hire can ultimately bear fruit. I think Spagnuolo is better equipped to know how to play complementary football, and his tenure and experience in the league can be an asset to Veach and Reid in bringing in the right type of players to make this defense respectable again.
I loved the thought at first when he was rumored, then soured quite a bit but I'm coming around again.

I love that he's a former HC, DC that has SB winning quality defense history. He will have complete control of a defense with Reid as the HC and I think you need this. I really liked the thought of a younger guy like Chris Hewitt or Kris Richards but are they ready to control everything on one side of the ball while they overhaul a bad defense? There aren't too many names that I'd trust to do that out of the coaches available.

I also think the talent that the Chiefs have in the front 7 fit a 4-3 better than a 3-4. Hitchens comes to mind. He flourished in a 4-3. DoD could be a stud WLB. Ford can play Weak-Side DE. I think Chris Jones could be Aaron Donald in this defense as a 3 Technique. He would have only 1 gap to worry about. Nnadi and Williams fit the 1 Technique well. Speaks fits the strong side DE MUCH better than an OLB. Hell, he could probably fit in well as a 3 technique as well. I've seen an article saying Houston could play a SAM LB, but I'm not sure...I think i'd just cut bait unless he wants to renegotiate. Kpassagnon is built like a 4-3 DE and played that in college.

As far as his statistical record, I think it looks a lot better when you look at it with context. He took over a horrible defense with the Rams, they played horrible the first year but the next two years improved to middle of the pack. I'd also throw out the saints bounty gate year as well because that team was messed up. The 2017 Giants were an absolute wreck as well. Mcadoo lost that team pretty quickly.
[Reply]
New World Order 10:38 PM 01-26-2019
Problem isn't Andy right now.

It's Veach
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 11:29 PM 01-26-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Well, Andy Reid's guys have done pretty well, I'd say.

Anyone who thinks Reid is our problem right now is ****ing high.

Does he have weaknesses? Sure. All coaches do. But Andy is not our problem, he brought stability and an honest to god franchise QB to The Chiefs. Some people are ****ing stupid.
Andy's weaknesses are SEVERE. Dude is definitely a HUGE fucking stumbling block that Mahomes and the rest of the team will have to overcome.

Gifting touchdowns to the other team calling timeouts for them, and being ever so kind enough to make sure and leave some clock for the other guy to try to come back when youre going to score and take the lead.

Situational football is Andys weakness. It has destroyed him in huge games his entire career.

If you think that we dont have to build a team with overcoming Andys penchant for shitting his pants in huge games in mind, YOU are fucking high.

Guys a fucking idiot when it comes to simple things that need to be done to win games. Dont call timeouts for the other team, dont leave time on the clock for the other team. Simple shit a novice Madden player grasps.

The only way Andy EVER wins a big game is if we absolutely blow them out, and his idiocy on the sideline never comes into play. In essence the other team basically has to just not show up.

If the game is close, my money is on the other coach.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:46 PM 01-26-2019
Originally Posted by Wallcrawler:
Andy's weaknesses are SEVERE. Dude is definitely a HUGE fucking stumbling block that Mahomes and the rest of the team will have to overcome.

Gifting touchdowns to the other team calling timeouts for them, and being ever so kind enough to make sure and leave some clock for the other guy to try to come back when youre going to score and take the lead.

Situational football is Andys weakness. It has destroyed him in huge games his entire career.

If you think that we dont have to build a team with overcoming Andys penchant for shitting his pants in huge games in mind, YOU are fucking high.

Guys a fucking idiot when it comes to simple things that need to be done to win games. Dont call timeouts for the other team, dont leave time on the clock for the other team. Simple shit a novice Madden player grasps.

The only way Andy EVER wins a big game is if we absolutely blow them out, and his idiocy on the sideline never comes into play. In essence the other team basically has to just not show up.

Quality post.
[Reply]
dlphg9 11:48 PM 01-26-2019
Originally Posted by Wallcrawler:
Andy's weaknesses are SEVERE. Dude is definitely a HUGE ****ing stumbling block that Mahomes and the rest of the team will have to overcome.

If you think that we dont have to build a team with overcoming Andys penchant for shitting his pants in huge games in mind, YOU are ****ing high.

Guys a ****ing idiot when it comes to simple things that need to be done to win games. Dont call timeouts for the other team, dont leave time on the clock for the other team. Simple shit a novice Madden player grasps.

Holy fucking shit. I cant believe there are people that complain about us scoring too fast. No coach is going to say "Hey now take it easy and go slow. Dont throw it deep and run off as much time as possible". You fucking idiots act like a scoring drive is guaranteed. What if the drive stalls and you just wasted a couple of minutes getting to the 50 and lose the ball. Games over. God damn that "scoring too fast" is such a ridiculously stupid take. I honestly have no clue how some of you fucking retards manage to even create an account on here.
[Reply]
Page 67 of 324
« First < 17576364656667 6869707177117167 > Last »
Up