ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 40 of 221
« First < 303637383940 414243445090140 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
Simply Red 09:58 AM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by Red Beans:
Drum are not too bad eating. Just deep fry them well, and make sure the breading is fairly flavorful. Honestly, they're probably a bit more of a whiter meat than catfish, with about the same taste, and the meat is a bit more flakey.
are you joking? aren't drum basically carp.
[Reply]
Sofa King 10:01 AM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
Oh yeah.

But if you cook them perfectly, hiding all the flavor of the fish, they aren't bad. :-) I keed i keed. Drum are a shit fish we never keep.
[Reply]
Red Beans 10:01 AM 04-26-2012
Not really, Carp eat mostly organic material. Drum eat like a Catfish does. You also have to cut the mud line out of the center of the fillet when you carve them up. They taste about like Catfish, and the meat is about the consistency of Bass. IMO.
Carp are far bonier as well...
[Reply]
Red Beans 10:03 AM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
Oh yeah.

But if you cook them perfectly, hiding all the flavor of the fish, they aren't bad. :-) I keed i keed. Drum are a shit fish we never keep.
Seriously, you have to deep fry them. Wouldn't eat them any other way. :-) Kind of River Rat style to eat drum, but it's no worse than eating the Channel Cat.
[Reply]
Simply Red 10:09 AM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by Red Beans:
Seriously, you have to deep fry them. Wouldn't eat them any other way. :-) Kind of River Rat style to eat drum, but it's no worse than eating the Channel Cat.
My dad grew up on Grand River and it a total river-rat - but he'd never mess with Drum. I'm not saying you're wrong, .... merely comenting. Lake of the Ozarks are full of drum fish.
[Reply]
R8RFAN 10:09 AM 04-26-2012
Get a bigger pickup.
I have an Explorer to pull it with.. I just like the MPG of the pickup
[Reply]
Radar Chief 10:13 AM 04-26-2012
Get a bigger pickup.
Or a 4WD. Stick it down in low range 4WD and you’ll crawl right out.
[Reply]
Simply Red 10:15 AM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
Or a 4WD. Stick it down in low range 4WD and you’ll crawl right out.
that thing gotta hemi?
[Reply]
Sofa King 10:18 AM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by R8ers:
I have an Explorer to pull it with.. I just like the MPG of the pickup

:-) :-)
[Reply]
Red Beans 10:19 AM 04-26-2012
My dad grew up on Grand River and it a total river-rat - but he'd never mess with Drum. I'm not saying you're wrong, .... merely comenting. Lake of the Ozarks are full of drum fish.
Yeah, we used to go to Lake Springfield and fish for Carp when I was young. We used to give all of them to the Asains that would fish it. They eat the shit out of Carp, and I wouldn't eat them. Just like I wouldnt eat a Red Horse Sucker, but folks gig them in the winter and love to fry them up. Talk about a shit fish...

I guess it's all about how you were raised, cultural/familial traditions and all that...
[Reply]
Radar Chief 10:20 AM 04-26-2012
Drum is damn good eating, at least as good as channel cat.
I like a nice big fillet though, so I can cut it in chunks and cut the red meat out in the process. The red meat is the nasty stuff with the fishy taste, get a mouth full of that and it’ll put you off eating fish for a while.
That’s also why we kick back flat heads and blue cats smaller than about 20#. I made the mistake of taking a 10 lb’er home once and by the time I got through cutting out all the red meat I was left with a handful of white fish meat, maybe a pound, and a trash can full of fish guts.
[Reply]
Simply Red 10:23 AM 04-26-2012
Zara Spook!!!!!
[Reply]
Red Beans 10:24 AM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
Drum is damn good eating, at least as good as channel cat.
I like a nice big fillet though, so I can cut it in chunks and cut the red meat out in the process. The red meat is the nasty stuff with the fishy taste, get a mouth full of that and it’ll put you off eating fish for a while.
That’s also why we kick back flat heads and blue cats smaller than about 20#. I made the mistake of taking a 10 lb’er home once and by the time I got through cutting out all the red meat I was left with a handful of white fish meat, maybe a pound, and a trash can full of fish guts.

Yeah, that mud line in the Drum is pretty nasty. I was telling a buddy about it and he said, "Anything with a mud line in it can't be good.":-) I think we got about 2 lbs of meat off of that 4 or 5 lb drum. That's a good average in my book.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 10:25 AM 04-26-2012
that thing gotta hemi?

[Reply]
Simply Red 10:29 AM 04-26-2012
Drums look mean too.
[Reply]
Page 40 of 221
« First < 303637383940 414243445090140 > Last »
Up