ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 96 of 324
« First < 46869293949596 979899100106146196 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:36 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Also, looking at the Cowboys stuff as we were yesterday, their whole defensive back field are free agents next year. They may make a run at Thomas, but if they do they're gonna end up letting some corners walk.

That's a place the Chiefs could look to do some trading potentiall.
???

No they arn't, what are you talking about?
[Reply]
O.city 10:37 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
???

No they arn't, what are you talking about?
Pardon me, some are in 2020. The next 2 offseasons they're going to be having to drop some money on keeping their guys around.
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:38 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
I'm old enough to remember when KC fans were clamoring to switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and were happy when the change was made.

The top 3 defenses in terms of points allowed this year are Chicago, Baltimore and Tennessee. What are their base packages?

It isn't a matter of the 3-4 being bad in and of itself. The way Sutton played it, yes - major problems. The way other DC's call coverages and blitzes, not as much of a problem.

It isn't unreasonable, moronic or stupid for people to have preferred that KC stay in a 3-4 and build of off the existing good pass rush.

If you lose Houston and Ford, who is the blue chip talent on defense? Jones as a rusher? And ....?
People just need to get over the 4-3, 3-4

Dee Ford's ass is likely out the door not because of the scheme switch. It's probably gone because he's going to be expensive, and he's also a buttfucking moron who can't line up correctly.

Justin Houston for the same reason. If he's gone, it's because he's really fucking expensive. Not because we made the scheme switch. If we had stayed with the 3-4, we might have let these guys walk anyway.

Again. The scheme switch is nice because it will be friendlier to young players, which means we don't have to rely on brokedick vets. We also have all kinds of out-of-place talent we've acquired like Hitchens, Kpass, and Speaks that might find new life in this defense, because the way things were going for them in the 3-4, they were going to be busts. No, it's not a guarantee, but it gives us a better chance with them.

That's a positive of the switch. There are drawbacks to it as well. You and BleedingVagina have brought them up. Do the positives outweigh the negatives? That's where the disagreement is.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:40 AM 01-29-2019
To be fair, ChiefNJ has a long history of just being a contrarian. He's brought up some good points in counterpoint but most likely solely because they are counter.

On the other hand, BR actually believes that changing to the 4-3 is a big deal and going to screw the team.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:40 AM 01-29-2019
Pardon me, some are in 2020. The next 2 offseasons they're going to be having to drop some money on keeping their guys around.
Yeah I was confused, they just drafted Jordan Lewis ( I like) and Chidobe Awuzie (Pretty good) and Xaiver Woods.

Jeff Heath (Sorenson Cloan) and Byron Jones (Maybe good?) are tho

We need to look at their DT's tho, because I think David Irving and Tyrone Crawford are prime cute candidates.
[Reply]
O.city 10:41 AM 01-29-2019
It's also an exercise in futility to compare the Chiefs to Chicago and Baltimore defensively. Those teams are built around defense, defensive squads.

The Chiefs aren't. They aren't going to be at the level of those teams until they start putting that many resources into the defense.

They need a good solid defense. They don't need an elite unit over there.
[Reply]
O.city 10:43 AM 01-29-2019
Yeah I was confused, they just drafted Jordan Lewis ( I like) and Chidobe Awuzie (Pretty good) and Xaiver Woods.

Jeff Heath (Sorenson Cloan) and Byron Jones (Maybe good?) are tho

We need to look at their DT's tho, because I think David Irving and Tyrone Crawford are prime cute candidates.
I think Crawford and Irving are free agents so they're gone anyway.

Byron Jones is a top 5 corner in the league, he's gonna get PAID a shitload.

This also kind of shows my issue with people saying the Chiefs need to draft all defense or a bunch of corners this year. If they hit, you've got them all coming due at one time. Now that's a nice problem to have, but it's just another salary issue.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:45 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
To be fair, ChiefNJ has a long history of just being a contrarian. He's brought up some good points in counterpoint but most likely solely because they are counter.

On the other hand, BR actually believes that changing to the 4-3 is a big deal and going to screw the team.
Losing 2 of 3 potential pro-bowl Rushers isn't a good point?

Statistical Analysis of Spag defense not preforming isn't a good point?

Pointing our recent examples of switching Defensive Base formations can be tricky isn't a good point?

And when I said "Screw the team" (Never did) I said this doesn't somehow make us a better defense. In fact I repeated numerous times that I believe pass rush will be cut in half, and other categories would remain close to same.

I'm sorry you disagree with my well thought out, analytically backedup opinion. Again, I've also said "I HOPE I'M WRONG"
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:46 AM 01-29-2019
Losing 2 of 3 potential pro-bowl Rushers isn't a good point?

Statistical Analysis of Spag defense not preforming isn't a good point?

Pointing our recent examples of switching Defensive Base formations can be tricky isn't a good point?

And when I said "Screw the team" (Never did) I said this doesn't somehow make us a better defense. In fact I repeated numerous times that I believe pass rush will be cut in half, and other categories would remain close to same.

I'm sorry you disagree with my well thought out, analytically backedup opinion. Again, I've also said "I HOPE I'M WRONG"
Losing Ford and/or Houston has NOTHING TO DO WITH SCHEME CHANGE. It's a salary cap issue that would have arisen with or WITHOUT a scheme change.

How many times do you have to hear it before you realize how freaking wrong you are?
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:47 AM 01-29-2019

This also kind of shows my issue with people saying the Chiefs need to draft all defense or a bunch of corners this year. If they hit, you've got them all coming due at one time. Now that's a nice problem to have, but it's just another salary issue.
Yeah the difference is the Cowboys have a staggering 124 Million (Current Projection) of Cap space in 2020....

Of course Dak/Zeke/Cooper will eat alot of that, but their offensive linemen have taken some huge discounts.
[Reply]
O.city 10:49 AM 01-29-2019
Yeah the difference is the Cowboys have a staggering 124 Million (Current Projection) of Cap space in 2020....

Of course Dak/Zeke/Cooper will eat alot of that, but their offensive linemen have taken some huge discounts.
Sure it's a big number.

But again, as you said here those 3 are going to eat up a big ass portion of that. Plus you've got Jaylon Smith and Byron Jones on the D who are going to take up a massive portion of it.

That looks like a big number. But you put a top WR salary on there, the top RB salary and a franchise QB on there and it's gonna shrink super ass fast.

I might call them up and see if they'd take a 2nd rounder for Byron Jones.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:50 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Losing Ford and/or Houston has NOTHING TO DO WITH SCHEME CHANGE. It's a salary cap issue that would have arisen with or WITHOUT a scheme change.

How many times do you have to hear it before you realize how freaking wrong you are?
This is YOUR opinion, please don't pretend it's fact.

Losing Ford is 100% going to be based on scheme change if/when it happens. Also there is no way of knowing how EITHER will preform in a 4-3.

So yeah, I'd have kept 3-4 because at least then you KNEW where the weakness was. Now, we get to play a game of "What do we need next year".

I'm sorry to you disagree, but I don't fucking care.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:52 AM 01-29-2019
Sure it's a big number.

But again, as you said here those 3 are going to eat up a big ass portion of that. Plus you've got Jaylon Smith and Byron Jones on the D who are going to take up a massive portion of it.

That looks like a big number. But you put a top WR salary on there, the top RB salary and a franchise QB on there and it's gonna shrink super ass fast.

I might call them up and see if they'd take a 2nd rounder for Byron Jones.
I don't think Byron Jones fit Spag mold of CB tho, someone here stated he liked "Small ones" I don't know that I can validate that tho.

P.S. I would LOVE JAYLON SMITH on this defense
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:52 AM 01-29-2019

Crawford isn't a FA but he's rumored to be a cut due to the cap.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:52 AM 01-29-2019
This is YOUR opinion, please don't pretend it's fact.

Losing Ford is 100% going to be based on scheme change if/when it happens. Also there is no way of knowing how EITHER will preform in a 4-3.

So yeah, I'd have kept 3-4 because at least then you KNEW where the weakness was. Now, we get to play a game of "What do we need next year".

I'm sorry to you disagree, but I don't fucking care.
:-)

We've been talking about the possibility of tagging and trading Ford for OVER A YEAR. We've been talking about cutting Houston for even longer. We've been talking about both possibilities for MONTHS longer than any discussion about changing schemes.

Keep pretending the scheme change has anything at all to do with it. You're entitled to be wrong.
[Reply]
Page 96 of 324
« First < 46869293949596 979899100106146196 > Last »
Up