ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3098 of 3903
« First < 2098259829983048308830943095309630973098 30993100310131023108314831983598 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 09:17 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Another thing was that they could have gotten good masks (n95 or equivalent) out to the public ASAP.

In the end, it's a highly contagious respiratory virus. Locking down will shut it down, but locking down isn't long term. And while getting it low and testing and tracing works well in theory, in real life, we see isn't theory.
Might be with the n95s but generally speaking I think we oversimplified the message of masks. Contrary to what some want to assert, more people are wearing a mask globally than ever and it isn't preventing cases from shooting up.

Not only are masks just a piece of what needs to be done, bad mask etiquette and such all but negate the mask. And then as I said, I think masks just aren't as good as we hoped in general. The anecdotal evidence says more people are wearing masks and yet more people are getting Covid. And when cases do rise many seem quick to say "well they aren't wearing a mask" when that is most likely not the case.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:20 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Might be with the n95s but generally speaking I think we oversimplified the message of masks. Contrary to what some want to assert, more people are wearing a mask globally than ever and it isn't preventing cases from shooting up.

Not only are masks just a piece of what needs to be done, bad mask etiquette and such all but negate the mask. And then as I said, I think masks just aren't as good as we hoped in general. The anecdotal evidence says more people are wearing masks and yet more people are getting Covid. And when cases do rise many seem quick to say "well they aren't wearing a mask" when that is most likely not the case.
There were no randomized control trials supporting them. It was just something cheap that politicians could do to make it look like they were doing something.

Recall 9/11 and the security theater around taking off your shoes and having small bottles of shampoo.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:25 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
For those who want to review the science:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...sars-cov2.html

Scientific Brief: Community Use of Cloth Masks to Control the Spread of SARS-CoV-2

Background

SARS-CoV-2 infection is transmitted predominately by respiratory droplets generated when people cough, sneeze, sing, talk, or breathe. CDC recommends community use of masks, specifically non-valved multi-layer cloth masks, to prevent transmission of SARS-CoV-2. Masks are primarily intended to reduce the emission of virus-laden droplets (“source control”), which is especially relevant for asymptomatic or presymptomatic infected wearers who feel well and may be unaware of their infectiousness to others, and who are estimated to account for more than 50% of transmissions.1,2 Masks also help reduce inhalation of these droplets by the wearer (“filtration for personal protection”). The community benefit of masking for SARS-CoV-2 control is due to the combination of these effects; individual prevention benefit increases with increasing numbers of people using masks consistently and correctly.

Source Control to Block Exhaled Virus

Multi-layer cloth masks block release of exhaled respiratory particles into the environment,3-6 along with the microorganisms these particles carry.7,8 Cloth masks not only effectively block most large droplets (i.e., 20-30 microns and larger)9 but they can also block the exhalation of fine droplets and particles (also often referred to as aerosols) smaller than 10 microns ;3,5 which increase in number with the volume of speech10-12 and specific types of phonation.13 Multi-layer cloth masks can both block up to 50-70% of these fine droplets and particles3,14 and limit the forward spread of those that are not captured.5,6,15,16 Upwards of 80% blockage has been achieved in human experiments that have measured blocking of all respiratory droplets,4 with cloth masks in some studies performing on par with surgical masks as barriers for source control.3,9,14

Filtration for Personal Protection

Studies demonstrate that cloth mask materials can also reduce wearers’ exposure to infectious droplets through filtration, including filtration of fine droplets and particles less than 10 microns. The relative filtration effectiveness of various masks has varied widely across studies, in large part due to variation in experimental design and particle sizes analyzed. Multiple layers of cloth with higher thread counts have demonstrated superior performance compared to single layers of cloth with lower thread counts, in some cases filtering nearly 50% of fine particles less than 1 micron .14,17-29 Some materials (e.g., polypropylene) may enhance filtering effectiveness by generating triboelectric charge (a form of static electricity) that enhances capture of charged particles18,30 while others (e.g., silk) may help repel moist droplets31 and reduce fabric wetting and thus maintain breathability and comfort.

Human Studies of Masking and SARS-CoV-2 Transmission

Data regarding the “real-world” effectiveness of community masking are limited to observational and epidemiological studies.

• An investigation of a high-exposure event, in which 2 symptomatically ill hair stylists interacted for an average of 15 minutes with each of 139 clients during an 8-day period, found that none of the 67 clients who subsequently consented to an interview and testing developed infection. The stylists and all clients universally wore masks in the salon as required by local ordinance and company policy at the time.32
  • In a study of 124 Beijing households with > 1 laboratory-confirmed case of SARS-CoV-2 infection, mask use by the index patient and family contacts before the index patient developed symptoms reduced secondary transmission within the households by 79%.33
  • A retrospective case-control study from Thailand documented that, among more than 1,000 persons interviewed as part of contact tracing investigations, those who reported having always worn a mask during high-risk exposures experienced a greater than 70% reduced risk of acquiring infection compared with persons who did not wear masks under these circumstances.34
  • A study of an outbreak aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt, an environment notable for congregate living quarters and close working environments, found that use of face coverings on-board was associated with a 70% reduced risk.35
  • Investigations involving infected passengers aboard flights longer than 10 hours strongly suggest that masking prevented in-flight transmissions, as demonstrated by the absence of infection developing in other passengers and crew in the 14 days following exposure.36,37

Seven studies have confirmed the benefit of universal masking in community level analyses: in a unified hospital system,38 a German city,39 a U.S. state,40 a panel of 15 U.S. states and Washington, D.C.,41,42 as well as both Canada43 and the U.S.44 nationally. Each analysis demonstrated that, following directives from organizational and political leadership for universal masking, new infections fell significantly. Two of these studies42,44 and an additional analysis of data from 200 countries that included the U.S.45 also demonstrated reductions in mortality. An economic analysis using U.S. data found that, given these effects, increasing universal masking by 15% could prevent the need for lockdowns and reduce associated losses of up to $1 trillion or about 5% of gross domestic product.42

Conclusions

Experimental and epidemiological data support community masking to reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2. The prevention benefit of masking is derived from the combination of source control and personal protection for the mask wearer. The relationship between source control and personal protection is likely complementary and possibly synergistic14, so that individual benefit increases with increasing community mask use. Further research is needed to expand the evidence base for the protective effect of cloth masks and in particular to identify the combinations of materials that maximize both their blocking and filtering effectiveness, as well as fit, comfort, durability, and consumer appeal. Adopting universal masking policies can help avert future lockdowns, especially if combined with other non-pharmaceutical interventions such as social distancing, hand hygiene, and adequate ventilation.
And that is shitty cloth masks. N95's offer even way more protection. Nothing is failproof but the goal is to lower the risk.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:31 AM 11-12-2020
Biden Covid Advisor is suggesting a 4-6 week lockdown nationwide. Don't think that carries much weight at the moment but something to be aware of.
We are not locking down again. The people wont tolerate another lock down. You cant enforce it. No one in charge or will be in charge is saying lock down. We are pass that as a viable option.
[Reply]
Donger 09:34 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
And that is shitty cloth masks. N95's offer even way more protection. Nothing is failproof but the goal is to lower the risk.
I know. I posted that to show why the CDC has updated the guidance based upon new data and science.
[Reply]
Pants 09:37 AM 11-12-2020
:-) Ethics and business rarely go hand-hand.....
That was exactly my point. Sucks that we are all powerless victims to unethical health insurance monoliths reaping astronomical profits while the coverage gets shittier and the premiums go up for us.
[Reply]
loochy 09:41 AM 11-12-2020
Detroit schools going full remote.....

:-) oh silly pete, nobody goes to school in Detroit
[Reply]
Pants 09:41 AM 11-12-2020
According to the Kansas Cluster Survey that's not entirely accurate. At least for around here.....

Ahead of bars and restaurants are:

Long Term Care Facilities
Corrections
Meat Packing
Private Businesses
Colleges
School
Private Events
Religious Gatherings
Sports
Healthcare

Then

Bar or Restaurant

Just sayin....
My point was that places where people tend to not wear masks are responsible for the most spread.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:45 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
My point was that places where people tend to not wear masks are responsible for the most spread.
Do you think people aren't wearing masks in meat packing plants and care facilities? Those are the #1 and #2 cluster areas.
[Reply]
Pants 09:48 AM 11-12-2020
Do you think people aren't wearing masks in meat packing plants and care facilities? Those are the #1 and #2 cluster areas.
My impression is that when the mass infections were occurring in those places, mask wearing was not yet the norm.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:49 AM 11-12-2020
That was exactly my point. Sucks that we are all powerless victims to unethical health insurance monoliths reaping astronomical profits while the coverage gets shittier and the premiums go up for us.
Well I've long been for making insurance companies non-profit. Not a total fix but a step in the right direction. I think there were a lot of dumb things done with the ACA along with a lot of smart things.

Pre-existing coverage = good
Not capping benefits = good
Limiting out of pocket = maybe not so good
Forcing coverage for things you don't want or need = bad
Not allowing competition along state lines = bad
Keeping the employer in the mix = bad
Forcing insurance companies to spend 85% of revenue on care = bad
[Reply]
petegz28 09:49 AM 11-12-2020
My impression is that when the mass infections were occurring in those places, mask wearing was not yet the norm.
Maybe it is but I would be shocked if people were not made to wear masks in meat packing plants with as many cases as we see out of them.
[Reply]
Pants 09:51 AM 11-12-2020
Well I've long been for making insurance companies non-profit. Not a total fix but a step in the right direction. I think there were a lot of dumb things done with the ACA along with a lot of smart things.

Pre-existing coverage = good
Not capping benefits = good
Limiting out of pocket = maybe not so good
Forcing coverage for things you don't want or need = bad
Not allowing competition along state lines = bad
Keeping the employer in the mix = bad
Forcing insurance companies to spend 85% of revenue on care = bad
My fault for making this political. I think you and I both agree that health insurance being a for profit industry in a marketplace where health care is simply not affordable by 99% of the population is problematic.
[Reply]
Pants 09:54 AM 11-12-2020
Maybe it is but I would be shocked if people were not made to wear masks in meat packing plants with as many cases as we see out of them.
I have not heard of any recent outbreaks in meat packing plants but I also admit I don't follow the news very closely at all.

I just assumed that outbreaks stopped occurring in those places in part because employees were made to wear masks.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:55 AM 11-12-2020
Granted, my visits have been brief but any time I've ever been to a packer, they're all wearing masks already. Has nothing to do with COVID.
[Reply]
Page 3098 of 3903
« First < 2098259829983048308830943095309630973098 30993100310131023108314831983598 > Last »
Up