ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2100 of 3903
« First < 1100160020002050209020962097209820992100 210121022103210421102150220026003100 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 06:11 PM 05-17-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Did you go get tested today?
No, I called and cancelled my appointment. After getting the false alarm message from work, I didn't feel like it was appropriate to go. Hopefully my spot went to someone who actually needed it.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:12 PM 05-17-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
No, I called and cancelled my appointment. After getting the false alarm message from work, I didn't feel like it was appropriate to go. Hopefully my spot went to someone who actually needed it.
YOU PUSSY!!

No, seriously I get it.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:21 PM 05-17-2020
I hopefully get my work paying for my antibody test. How weird would it be for me to have a positive test and then have nothing show up on antibody testing. If it can happen, it will be me!
[Reply]
BleedingRed 06:43 PM 05-17-2020
https://www.google.com/amp/s/komonew...-19-antibodies

Welp it’s been in the US since December at least, I know this says otherwise.

But the more we learn, the more I’m inclined to say it was here late last year spreading.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:03 PM 05-17-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/komonew...-19-antibodies

Welp it’s been in the US since December at least, I know this says otherwise.

But the more we learn, the more I’m inclined to say it was here late last year spreading.
The question that will always be posed is why didn't we see the "explosion" of this until March?

I agree, I think it was here as soon as November if not October but whatever. It calls into questioning the testing. I don't mean that as conspiratorial but simply we weren't looking for Covid back then. Of course now if you get ran over by a drunk driver, who was texting and and a heart attack behind the wheel you died from Covid.
[Reply]
TLO 07:13 PM 05-17-2020
865 deaths according to Worldomoters today. That has to be the lowest in a long time..
[Reply]
petegz28 07:15 PM 05-17-2020
865 deaths according to Worldomoters today. That has to be the lowest in a long time..
Actually last Sunday, Mother's Day, was much lower. Like 750 or so. Still it is low.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:17 PM 05-17-2020
The question that will always be posed is why didn't we see the "explosion" of this until March?

I agree, I think it was here as soon as November if not October but whatever. It calls into questioning the testing. I don't mean that as conspiratorial but simply we weren't looking for Covid back then. Of course now if you get ran over by a drunk driver, who was texting and and a heart attack behind the wheel you died from Covid.
Two reasons

1) R0 is an average not an absolute
2) Exponential growth

Hypothetically a few people expatriate from Wuhan who were asymptomatic or have mild illness and decent hygiene. Is the disease over here? Yes. But if they are more socially isolated while over here, or just by random chance they may not pass the disease to anyone, or one person who doesn't pass it on to anyone else, so the disease dies out.

Also, it takes a while for an infected population to reach a critical mass where you are going to find large and sudden increases in caseload.

If I assume a 30% day over day growth in cases, how long does it take me to get over 1000 cases?

27 days.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:19 PM 05-17-2020

Well if this was here in October, we seemingly missed cases or people dying from COVID-19 since our counters started in March. Guess the "over-stated" COVID death count you keep mentioning might just even out then. What do you say, Pete?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:26 PM 05-17-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
For Hamas' erudition:

https://www.livescience.com/new-coro...-with-flu.html

Another limitation with the case fatality rate is that some people who are counted as confirmed cases may eventually die from the disease, which would lead to an increase in the death rate. For example, South Korea initially reported a case fatality rate of 0.6% in early March, but it later rose to 1.7% by the beginning of April, according to New Scientist.
Yes. A big issue with this is that the layperson thinks a snapshot is definitive. That's why I mentioned on here sometime back that 100% of current smokers have not yet died of lung cancer. Given what we've seen from some of the better-designed antibody studies and analyses of population level mortality, I would venture a guess that the IFR is probably a tick under 1% if you have adequate hospital capacity. However, given the R0 is also much higher than the flu, then absent mitigation strategies, you are looking at dozens and dozens of deaths more than a regular flu season, which is why we did what we did.

France, for example, reduced their R0 by 77%, from 2.9 to 0.67.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:49 PM 05-17-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Well if this was here in October, we seemingly missed cases or people dying from COVID-19 since our counters started in March. Guess the "over-stated" COVID death count you keep mentioning might just even out then. What do you say, Pete?
I say go back to the gym and stop purposely being a douche.
[Reply]
Donger 08:02 PM 05-17-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Yes. A big issue with this is that the layperson thinks a snapshot is definitive. That's why I mentioned on here sometime back that 100% of current smokers have not yet died of lung cancer. Given what we've seen from some of the better-designed antibody studies and analyses of population level mortality, I would venture a guess that the IFR is probably a tick under 1% if you have adequate hospital capacity. However, given the R0 is also much higher than the flu, then absent mitigation strategies, you are looking at dozens and dozens of deaths more than a regular flu season, which is why we did what we did.

France, for example, reduced their R0 by 77%, from 2.9 to 0.67.
Thank you. Holding this fucker under 1% would be great.
[Reply]
RustShack 08:28 PM 05-17-2020
I kind of want to have the anti body test taken. I had all the symptoms and went to the dr because I was coughing a lot, had serious trouble breathing at night, woke up with crazy chills. It was a sickness I’d never felt and the shortness of breath lasted days. I went to the dr and while I was in the waiting room I read up on covid symptoms because it had been in the news a lot, but not here yet and I was like holy shit I have it. Went in for my appointment failed the flu test and they just prescribed me an inhaler(because when I was a child I had asthma) and told me to take Tylenol/ibuprofen and call them back if it gets worse.
[Reply]
TLO 08:54 PM 05-17-2020
Originally Posted by RustShack:
I kind of want to have the anti body test taken. I had all the symptoms and went to the dr because I was coughing a lot, had serious trouble breathing at night, woke up with crazy chills. It was a sickness I’d never felt and the shortness of breath lasted days. I went to the dr and while I was in the waiting room I read up on covid symptoms because it had been in the news a lot, but not here yet and I was like holy shit I have it. Went in for my appointment failed the flu test and they just prescribed me an inhaler(because when I was a child I had asthma) and told me to take Tylenol/ibuprofen and call them back if it gets worse.
How long did it task you to get better?
[Reply]
RustShack 09:05 PM 05-17-2020
How long did it task you to get better?
It started with body aches the first day, shortness of breath was like four days maybe and the coughing was at least a week.
[Reply]
Page 2100 of 3903
« First < 1100160020002050209020962097209820992100 210121022103210421102150220026003100 > Last »
Up