ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Media Center>Fox: Prodigal Son
keg in kc 04:20 PM 05-30-2019
I feel dirty posting so much from Fox, but they've got some cool-looking stuff on the docket...

Hopefully some of it actually makes it out of the first season.

[Reply]
keg in kc 05:15 PM 09-27-2019
Pilot is replaying tonight (Friday).

I think it's worth catching if you missed the initial broadcast earlier in the week.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:38 PM 09-27-2019
Thought it blew MASSIVE chunks.
There is a kernel of a network-worthy premise somewhere in there, and the cast is filled with veterans, but it was as if a blind person threw together every recent trend in procedurals that had survived to cliche-level in a blender and splattered the results on the screen.
It wasn't enough that everything was exposition, it was repetitive exposition administered by a sledgehammer. They must have scripted the broad strokes about the family relationship and the strained law enforcement relations and the effect on the star's personality about two dozen times. Every time a new character came on the scene, whispers began anew 'his father, . . . his FATHER!!!' 'Out at the FBI!!' 'doesn't go by the books!!!'

If it had smirked even once, I might have bought it as satire. But it seems to be trying to play straight, which suggests to me that the best we're gonna get is memorably bonkers.
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:48 PM 09-27-2019
I'm not sure I buy the lead...as a lead.

Other than that, I thought it was fine.

I will say I liked Stumptown more. Which surprised me a little.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:01 PM 09-27-2019
Definitely agree with the blender comment. The main guy is mash up of Clarice Starling, Martin Riggs and Dexter.

There are several actors that I like, particularly Lou Diamond Phillips. Wasn't until after the show that I realized that the sister was the girl from Orville. And Sheen is of course awesome, although he's definitely chewing the scenery here. But it didn't really work. Maybe it will get better.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:20 PM 09-27-2019
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
I'm not sure I buy the lead...as a lead.

Other than that, I thought it was fine.

I will say I liked Stumptown more. Which surprised me a little.
Stumptown has a lot of potential. Love that their bringing in Donal Logue.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:49 AM 02-20-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Stumptown has a lot of potential. Love that their bringing in Donal Logue.
Weird time rift vibe when they ended last night's episode with Band of Horses.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BWillie 09:56 AM 02-20-2020
Sucks. Too Fox-xy like. 9/11, The Resident, Empire. All just a little too outlandish. Can't be basic, though right?
[Reply]
Up