ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 240 of 386
« First < 140190230236237238239240 241242243244250290340 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Seasons 7-8
keg in kc 02:23 PM 05-24-2017
About to hit the 5000 post mark on the old thread, the first season 7 trailer today seems like the right time to start the final Game of Thones thread.

I'm going back to the original rules pre-2015. I don't think we need supervision or bannings. Just don't be a dick. Post anything you find online that hasn't aired yet inside of spoiler tags. That's pretty much it. I think we can all handle that...

For future us, 2015 thread is here: Link
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 01:51 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by otherstar:
And since the wights are already dead...they were exactly like that kind of foolish :-):-)
Which would leave a mound of broken and/or burning bodies at the foot of the walls. Believe it or not but the designers of castles actually thought about how to defend against people climbing the walls.
[Reply]
Amnorix 01:51 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
I would just like for the writers to understand how castles actually worked and why people went to the expense of building them.

Suffice to say a major stronghold like Winterfell should be able to force the night king out in the open since his army had no siege equipment at all. Just masses of bodies aren't getting through a properly built castle.

Well, they are if there are a STUPID number of them, and they're willing to just pile on top of themselves to build an undead ramp...

But honestly, the "strategy" was ridiculously bad. I get that the ability to control the weather fucked up alot of the plan, but the plan itself was shit.

Let's just say this -- none of MacArthur, Robert E. Lee, Pershing or fucking Rob Stark would have approved of that "plan". Apparently the only people left at Winterfell had no strategic sense at all.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 01:52 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
It's 2. There isn't much doubt about it at this point, unfortunately.
And sadly, his publisher is pretty dead-set that he'll need not 2, but 3 books to finish the story at this point.
[Reply]
Fish 01:58 PM 04-29-2019
How can that episode be so exciting and tense, yet be so underwhelming at the same time? So many awesome scene opportunities, but the writing came off like a Transformer movie. I'm not sure what exactly I was expecting. But the way it went down just felt cheap and lazy after the build up over the past 7 seasons.
[Reply]
Amnorix 01:58 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
They actually would. First the walls were way too short, should of been at least 30 feet tall and probably taller than that. The walls would of been plastered smooth to prevent climbing. In addition things like boiling oil or lighted pitch would be close to dump on anybody climbing or right at the walls. There are also many other design flaws of winterfell as depicted in the show.

Castles were seriously designed fortifications designed to kill anybody foolish enough to assault them head on.

I literally asked my wife "where's the boiling pitch"? It's so damn standard.

But maybe the though was that they used all the combustibles in the fiery moat?

The 30 foot walls I can easily get over. Be mindful that the North is nowhere near as well populated as the other regions of Westeros. The Starks could legitimately have felt, for a wide variety of reasons, that a massive fortification was unnecessary -- or they were not wealthy enough to construct one.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 02:00 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
How can that episode be so exciting and tense, yet be so underwhelming at the same time? So many awesome scene opportunities, but the writing came off like a Transformer movie. I'm not sure what exactly I was expecting. But the way it went down just felt cheap and lazy after the build up over the past 7 seasons.
That's the thing with expectations with a show like this.

It'll be interesting to see how the season is perceived as time goes on. I'll always remember the internet's reaction to Season 5 of Breaking Bad when it first came out compared to how it's looked at now.
[Reply]
Amnorix 02:00 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
And sadly, his publisher is pretty dead-set that he'll need not 2, but 3 books to finish the story at this point.

Well, clearly at least 2, but I'd figure 3 also.

I suspect that no matter what he wants when he is dead his heirs will try to find someone to finish the books. Certainly there will be a big $$$$$$ incentive to do it.

Problem is, it's a thankless task that will be nearly impossible to pull off without Martin's cooperation before he croaks.
[Reply]
UK_Chief 02:02 PM 04-29-2019
No way Arya would be fighting like that the day after getting fucked for the first time.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:03 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by Setsuna:
Don't bring facts into this. Let them revel as babes at this chicanery.
Well can you provide any historical instances of castles being overrun by zombies?
[Reply]
Fish 02:07 PM 04-29-2019
I do get what people are saying about how they defended the castle. Why send 1/3 of your best troops away off into the unknown darkness when you're trying to defend your position? You have a giant ass castle that you've now intentionally left the front door open to, because you're trying to get your soldiers back inside the castle where they should have been in the first place. Also, what was Bran's plan other than just sitting there hoping the baddies don't reach him? He warged into a raven to give us a nice view? When that didn't work, he was just going to sit there and let the Night King kill him? 3 eyed Raven seems pretty useless other than learning secrets about royal incest...
[Reply]
Chiefspants 02:08 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
I do get what people are saying about how they defended the castle. Why send 1/3 of your best troops away off into the unknown darkness when you're trying to defend your position? You have a giant ass castle that you've now intentionally left the front door open to, because you're trying to get your soldiers back inside the castle where they should have been in the first place. Also, what was Bran's plan other than just sitting there hoping the baddies don't reach him? He warged into a raven to give us a nice view? When that didn't work, he was just going to sit there and let the Night King kill him? 3 eyed Raven seems pretty useless other than learning secrets about royal incest...
I would answer, but Duncan's already done a much better job.

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I felt like they rolled about a 12 on their Tactics roll, too. But after thinking about it more ... the goal of the battle at the castle wasn’t to repel the wights and win. It was all about killing the Night King. That was a delaying tactic.

The Dothraki, the Unsullied, and those who died outside the walls... pawns that had to be sacrificed to get the king to come forward.

Think of it like the survivors of the battle at Gondor rushing the gates of Mordor. It was a distraction.

I read the books in a blink in 2007 (seriously, like one month) and I don’t agree with the criticism of the writing.

The whole point of Martin’s story is that traditional tropes and key points don’t matter.

The heroic son avenging his father with brilliant battle tactics and honor? He dies.

The wise wizard/witch knowing the future and perfectly setting a prophecy into motion? She misunderstands and is wrong about a bunch of things (still fulfills her purpose though).

The clear inheritor(s) of the prophecy not ultimately being the one(s) to slay the big bad.

Etc.

In the history of warfare, horse soldiers were effective for a few reasons:

Shocking formations and forcing cracks and breaks in formation due to human reactions and self-preservation.

Using mobility to pick at flanks and break formations, again due to human reaction and self-preservation.

That stuff doesn’t work against a mass of undead thralls that have no self-preservation sense.

The traditional charge, shock, wheel tactics of horse warriors would simply not work against an uncaring mass of thralls.

Same thing with the Unsullied phalanx. Shield walls were great against human enemies who didn’t want to just throw themselves on the spears. Against an enormous mass of undead, it just would get slowly buried.

If the tactics were to preserve as much of the army as possible, sure. Though who could have known what tactics would work and how many of the dead there were?

If tactics were to convince the NK he was winning and it was safe to sally forth to take Bran... different story.

[Reply]
UK_Chief 02:09 PM 04-29-2019
What was/is the point in Bran? He went into sleep mode and was a crow for a bit. For what purpose? Or did I miss something? I could understand them fighting to keep him alive if he was trying to actually accomplish something but it seemed like he was just napping. Shit character and crap acting IMO
[Reply]
vailpass 02:10 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by DanBecky:
I could be wrong, but I thought in the books Winterfell had an 80 foot outter wall with a 100 foot wall behind it, with a moat in between. That would’ve been cool to see. 2 different walls to scale. Would’ve made it easier to defend.
You aren't wrong. Frazod's earlier description of the post-book GOT television episodes being akin to "GOT for Dummies" is a pretty apt description.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:12 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
I literally asked my wife "where's the boiling pitch"? It's so damn standard.

But maybe the though was that they used all the combustibles in the fiery moat?

The 30 foot walls I can easily get over. Be mindful that the North is nowhere near as well populated as the other regions of Westeros. The Starks could legitimately have felt, for a wide variety of reasons, that a massive fortification was unnecessary -- or they were not wealthy enough to construct one.
Or how, after the wights broke through the flaming trench, the castle defenders had to start screaming "man the walls! thhey broek through! man the walls!".
Wait, you didn't already have the walls manned? It came as a surprise to you that you needed to man the castle walls?
[Reply]
The Franchise 02:13 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by UK_Chief:
What was/is the point in Bran? He went into sleep mode and was a crow for a bit. For what purpose? Or did I miss something? I could understand them fighting to keep him alive if he was trying to actually accomplish something but it seemed like he was just napping. Shit character and crap acting IMO
I think he warged into the ravens to get the attention of the NK and to draw him in.
[Reply]
Page 240 of 386
« First < 140190230236237238239240 241242243244250290340 > Last »
Up