ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2886 of 3903
« First < 1886238627862836287628822883288428852886 288728882889289028962936298633863886 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dirk digler 03:46 PM 08-20-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
How effective do you think that vaccine is really going to be? Fauci himself has said he doesn't think that it will be highly effective at frist and a lot of experts have said we are 5-10 years away from a real vaccine in the way of the flu vaccine.

Even so, people can and most likely will still get this even after a vaccine for a while. So I go back to treating it. I mean if I don't get it then great but what happens if\when I do?

Therapeutics......
I am not disagreeing we do need therapeutics badly but doesn't seem to be one on the horizon.

Moderna thinks they can get up to 90% or higher so we will see. The Oxford vaccine will be less than that though.
[Reply]
O.city 04:01 PM 08-20-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I am confidant they will because this virus doesn't mutate much. Dr Fauci said they are preparing human challenges trials just in case though.
Eh count me out on human challenge trials. That’s a bioethics nightmare
[Reply]
Monticore 04:04 PM 08-20-2020
We need therapeutics before a vaccine. I know the word "vaccine" makes everyone feel all warm and fuzzy. It's like watching the movies when the Villain is the only one with the "anti-dote".

The reality is if we can find ways to treat it like we have ways to treat influenza and such then a vaccine is gravy and won't need to be rushed so much thus hopefully getting us something better sooner.
Prevention is always going to be better than therapeutics, influenza still kills people that would potentially have survived with a vaccine.

Not getting it >getting it and getting treated
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:10 PM 08-20-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
See above. How do you explain how NY has driven down, and kept down, new cases?
Kill ALL the vulnerable right off the bat . . .:-)
[Reply]
suzzer99 04:18 PM 08-20-2020
I know someone whose wife's family in the Philippines is in trouble. One uncle has died. Her aunt is very sick. They had to spend 3 days calling around to find a hospital who would take the aunt - and only finally got in through some connection to a local politician.

The Philippines supposedly only has some 2700 deaths for a country of 106M. That has to be complete bullshit.
[Reply]
Donger 04:27 PM 08-20-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Kill ALL the vulnerable right off the bat . . .:-)
Considering that something like 45% of COVID-19 deaths nationally have been from nursing homes...
[Reply]
dirk digler 04:29 PM 08-20-2020
Head of Warp Speed Interview today

Originally Posted by :
Andrew Dunn:I wanted to start with the question I get most from friends and family: When are we getting a coronavirus vaccine? Given what we know today, August 19, when do you anticipate a vaccine will be widely available in the US, meaning low priority people can get the shot?

Moncef Slaoui: I think if things go according to plan, I would say in the second quarter of 2021. We will probably have immunized all of the high-risk population, which I assume to be around 70 or 80 million people.

In the second quarter, as of April, May, June, we will be immunizing the broader population.

Now this is contingent on the fact that the vaccine efficacy of course for the various vaccines we are developing, at least I would say two-thirds of them is demonstrated and the plans are without unpredictable accidents. I feel pretty confident we'll be there.

Dunn: How does that correlate with a return to normal? When do you expect people can go back to living like pre-pandemic times?

Slaoui: I'd say the second half of 2021, in line with the fact that the second quarter of 2021 we will have all the vaccines needed to immunize everybody.

An important point there is we need a large percentage of the population to accept and agree to use a vaccine. The mission of addressing the hesitancy is absolutely vital for our lives to go back to normal.

Dunn: Thinking ahead to delivery logistics. What can you tell me about the plan to actually distribute a vaccine? Do you expect it to look more like the traditional flu vaccine rollout, with retail pharmacies, schools, workplaces, or could there be drive-throughs or mobile vans?

Slaoui: As we speak it's being discussed and designed. The one thing I would say is don't think about mass-vaccinating 300 million people in five weeks. That's not what's going to happen.

The complexity of distribution is looked at from the perspective of huge mass vaccination over a very short period of time. But if you think about vaccinating 300 million people over a period of six months, where you have particular populations using particular vaccines. The various six vaccines are not all going to demonstrate efficacy at the same time.

One has to look at this as a continuous process where various populations that are probably present across the country from a geographic standpoint are going to be immunized serially.

Dunn: Given the pre-purchase deals and manufacturing happening now, what happens if two vaccines both pass the FDA's bar but one has clearly better efficacy? Say vaccine A is 70% effective and vaccine B turns out to be 55% effective, with similar safety profiles. Will some people get vaccine B?

Slaoui: Those are very important decisions to put into context of the benefit-risk for the population and the timing.

I think, definitely, the operation is not going to be the one making those decisions. Those are huge decisions that will need to be taking into account the risk in the population, the amount of vaccine doses available, and the performance of the vaccine.

But a few points. This is something that is difficult to convey, vaccine efficacy is always a point estimate around a confidence interval. When we say a vaccine is 75% efficacious, there's probably a confidence interval around that number 75 that goes from 100 to say 62. I'm just inventing a number, okay? Which means actually there's a 95% chance the real efficacy is anywhere between 62 and 100.

If you compare that with another vaccine that has a point estimate of 87 with an as-wide confidence interval. They are actually the same statistically. The problem is how are we going to be able to convey that information to the population is a super important point.

I think it's important for people to start discussing in general how vaccine decisions are made, how do we compare vaccines? Now that we have completed our major agreements, we can talk. We are going to talk nonstop about everything: How we're doing it, what the data are, and the data will be available.

So how are going to compare? Two things: First, the efficacy is not going to come at the same time. It's going to come in succession.

So some decisions, if the pandemic continues as is, are going to be taken before we know which one is the best. We'll have the first two probably more or less at the same time and we're going to have to make a call about them because there's 1,000 people dying per day.

The second point is we have designed the trials in such a way that the endpoints in the trial are the same, the definition of the case is the same. An apple is an apple, an orange is an orange across trials. This is almost never the case when things are designed by independent companies.

Secondly, the antibody assays, the neutralizing assays, the virological assays, are standardized and run in the same laboratories to help us identify immune correlates of protection to be able to not only have the level of efficacy achieved but also potentially a) accelerate other vaccines that could be approved on the basis of immune correlates and b) optimize the vaccines with a slightly different immunization schedule or improve the dose.

[Reply]
petegz28 04:36 PM 08-20-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Prevention is always going to be better than therapeutics, influenza still kills people that would potentially have survived with a vaccine.

Not getting it >getting it and getting treated
I agree....until you get it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 04:39 PM 08-20-2020
Can't get Covid from protests.
Who said that?
[Reply]
petegz28 04:44 PM 08-20-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Who said that?
You been living under a rock?

[Reply]
lewdog 05:57 PM 08-20-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I know someone whose wife's family in the Philippines is in trouble. One uncle has died. Her aunt is very sick. They had to spend 3 days calling around to find a hospital who would take the aunt - and only finally got in through some connection to a local politician.

The Philippines supposedly only has some 2700 deaths for a country of 106M. That has to be complete bullshit.
The Philippines medical care is tragically poor.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 06:05 PM 08-20-2020
You been living under a rock?

It is amazing how you get away with going political over and over in this thread.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:08 PM 08-20-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
It is amazing how you get away with going political over and over in this thread.
Over and over??? Okay........
[Reply]
TLO 06:10 PM 08-20-2020
Co-workers test came back negative.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:18 PM 08-20-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Co-workers test came back negative.
Great!!!
[Reply]
Page 2886 of 3903
« First < 1886238627862836287628822883288428852886 288728882889289028962936298633863886 > Last »
Up