Page 27 of 934
« First < 172324252627 282930313777127527 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 04:03 PM 08-30-2016
Originally Posted by Nirvana58:

Amazon rewards card gives you 3% cash back on all purchases from Amazon. So if you are a prime member or order a lot of stuff off of Amazon it definitely comes in handy. No Annual Fees
Ffffffuck, I should have applied to this one before I ordered my books for the semester.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 04:11 PM 08-30-2016
Fidelity Visa and Citi Double Cash are about as good as they come for those looking to keep it simple. Solid recommendations.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 06:45 PM 08-30-2016
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Ffffffuck, I should have applied to this one before I ordered my books for the semester.
The prime store card gives 5%. Have to be a prime member. Ive never used it though myself
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:53 PM 08-30-2016
I have a card through my local bank that I use solely for reimbursable expenses. Wife has a Cabela's card she got when we got engaged (she had no credit history at all).

Last year we got a SAMs card because I was tired of dicking with debit cards and shit. They don't take Visa and that's all I had otherwise.

Pretty much chose mine because of convenience and don't want to change for the billion years of credit history I would give up.

FWIW they are all 3 auto debited each month. Highly recommend it.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:15 PM 08-30-2016
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I have a card through my local bank that I use solely for reimbursable expenses. Wide has a Cabela's card she got when we got engaged (she had no credit history at all).
You better hope your wife never finds out you call her that.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:55 PM 08-30-2016
I'm primarily using a Discover Miles card that they don't offer anymore. $60 annual fee, but straight 2% on everything (assuming you use it for either travel credit or Amazon). I also have an Amazon card for the 3% at Amazon and a Costco card that does 4% on gas, 3% on restaurants, 2% at Costco, and 1% for everything else, but the rewards are only redeemable at Costco.

If people aren't aware of it, Nerdwallet is a fantastic resource for evaluating rewards cards. They have a calculator that lets you tell it roughly how much you spend on various categories each month, and it'll give you suggestions on which cards will net you the most in rewards.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/credit-cards
[Reply]
DaFace 10:56 PM 08-30-2016
Oh, and I charge literally everything I can for the rewards. Everyday expenses, monthly bills - everything. If they let me charge it, I do. I probably rack up around $50-$75 in rewards every month. As lewdog said, you just have to be sure you have the discipline to never spend more than you can immediately pay off. Carrying balances is bad mmkay.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:18 AM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
You better hope your wife never finds out you call her that.
Goddamned autocorrect. Fixed it.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 04:42 AM 09-01-2016
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I also have an Amazon card for the 3% at Amazon and a Costco card that does 4% on gas, 3% on restaurants, 2% at Costco, and 1% for everything else, but the rewards are only redeemable at Costco.
I was thinking about getting the new Costco card but then read someone say they were having to call in because Quiktrip wasn't being flagged as gas. I don't want to track that shit and have to call in and have them fix it. Are you having good luck with it assigning gas and restaurants properly?

I was already on edge because I don't like how they pay the money back but the %s were high enough it seemed like it might be worth it.
[Reply]
wutamess 07:52 AM 09-01-2016
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Have you ever actually tapped your Roth? I worry it's not as seamless as it seems. Then again, even if it takes 2 weeks, you could always charge it and pay it off in full once the money arrives I suppose.
Actually, I had to take money out of both IRAs (wife and mine) last month because we can't contribute the maximum $5500 to both IRAs anymore or we'll get penalized. So I Sold off the some stagnant investments out of both of them and transferred the money to my bank account the next day. No penalty had to come out and it was rather painless. Entire process took 2 days as the money was in my bank account the next business day after the transfer.

It's as simple as that. It literally is a savings account.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:32 AM 09-01-2016
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
I was thinking about getting the new Costco card but then read someone say they were having to call in because Quiktrip wasn't being flagged as gas. I don't want to track that shit and have to call in and have them fix it. Are you having good luck with it assigning gas and restaurants properly?

I was already on edge because I don't like how they pay the money back but the %s were high enough it seemed like it might be worth it.
Yeah, that does seem to be an issue. I had assumed that it was because I often get gas at Safeway, but I've definitely not been getting 4% on that. Conoco seems to come through OK.
[Reply]
lewdog 05:23 PM 09-08-2016
Finally pulling the trigger on a refinance for the mortgage. Locked in a 3.625% rate today and couldn't pass it up. Should save us about $150 a month on our mortgage. Just have to complete the paperwork and appraisal. We still plan to pay our current mortgage rate, as it's plenty comfortable for us. This should allow us to pay off our mortgage sooner.
[Reply]
eDave 05:25 PM 09-08-2016
Finally pulling the trigger on a refinance for the mortgage. Locked in a 3.625% rate today and couldn't pass it up. Should save us about $150 a month on our mortgage. Just have to complete the paperwork and appraisal.
Nice
[Reply]
lewdog 05:33 PM 09-08-2016
Originally Posted by eDave:
Nice
I was pretty jacked! Our current rate is 4.625% that we got in Feb of 2014. Reason it was higher is that my wife's credit score was about 730 at the time, and they use the person with the lowest credit score for approval. This time mine was 805 and her's was 790, so he said our super high credit score would get us a great rate.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 05:42 PM 09-08-2016
Finally pulling the trigger on a refinance for the mortgage. Locked in a 3.625% rate today and couldn't pass it up. Should save us about $150 a month on our mortgage.

[Reply]
Page 27 of 934
« First < 172324252627 282930313777127527 > Last »
Up