Page 21 of 934
« First < 111718192021 222324253171121521 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:19 PM 08-01-2016
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
My dad and I were kicking around a similar idea. Just cash out after a good pop and leave the remainder in the stock to build a diversified portfolio over time.
So your strategy there is to cash out the original investment and leave the profits or cash out the profits and leave the original?
[Reply]
Nightfyre 07:20 PM 08-01-2016
Leave the profits.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:22 PM 08-01-2016
Yeah, makes sense to take out the original investment and leave the profits. Then you're playing on free money.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:23 PM 08-01-2016
Leave the profits.
So what's your marker for percentage of profits you need to make before doing it?
[Reply]
Rain Man 07:31 PM 08-01-2016
Originally Posted by lewdog:
So what's your marker for percentage of profits you need to make before doing it?
I set a threshold at 20% because I'm lazy, but if I had a little more initiative I'd set up a system where I sold the original investment once I got to the point of a 25% annualized return. If you do that, you can take advantage of random small spikes early in the ownership period.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 07:35 PM 08-01-2016
Originally Posted by lewdog:
We were just kicking it around, talking pros and cons.

The big pro to me is developing a portfolio of company's you actually believe in.
Minimizing losses and removing the emotional factor is also important.

We talked about using the fixed percentage OR having a specific exit strateg.

IE If I buy NVDA because I know they are going to kill it in the second quarter because their new graphics card is redefining the market, I sell after the earnings announcement is digested. If I buy it because of their potential growth into the automated driving market, I may establish a long-term hold strategy - or just buy long-term call options. In the case of NVDA I did both. However, I got antsy on my long-term call position after it had basically gained 250% on the value of it. That option would now be worth over 6 times my initial investment. But I am happy just to have raked some gains, even if I gave some up because I am a nervous nelly.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:45 PM 08-01-2016
Originally Posted by Hog Farmer:
Well , now that I've heard it from a farmer I think i'll just have to do that.
Ha. Don't buy into too much of what I say. The only thing I've been very right on is the basis out here.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:45 PM 08-01-2016
My problem is I feel like any thing I throw at a stock is just throw away money anyway. My bread and butter is real estate. that's why I have a hard time with stocks.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:27 PM 08-01-2016
We were just kicking it around, talking pros and cons.

The big pro to me is developing a portfolio of company's you actually believe in.
Minimizing losses and removing the emotional factor is also important.

We talked about using the fixed percentage OR having a specific exit strateg.

IE If I buy NVDA because I know they are going to kill it in the second quarter because their new graphics card is redefining the market, I sell after the earnings announcement is digested. If I buy it because of their potential growth into the automated driving market, I may establish a long-term hold strategy - or just buy long-term call options. In the case of NVDA I did both. However, I got antsy on my long-term call position after it had basically gained 250% on the value of it. That option would now be worth over 6 times my initial investment. But I am happy just to have raked some gains, even if I gave some up because I am a nervous nelly.
Interesting strategy. Thanks for sharing that.

I am rather new to actually purchasing individual stocks but have researched for quite a while. After pumping my 401k and Roth IRA, it's taken a while to want to use extra money for more investing. Individual stocks still make me rather nervous. lol
[Reply]
Demonpenz 12:34 PM 08-02-2016
So how did you Hog Farmer invest that money. I got 45 dollars I got left over from the end of the month with my solid budgeting. It was a struggle, but every day I only ate out of the vending machine 4 times.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 01:02 PM 08-02-2016
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
So how did you Hog Farmer invest that money. I got 45 dollars I got left over from the end of the month with my solid budgeting. It was a struggle, but every day I only ate out of the vending machine 4 times.

[Reply]
Rain Man 09:02 PM 08-16-2016
Hog Farmer, I hope you've been investing in Neuromama. And then sold it yesterday.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/16/inve...sec/index.html
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:42 AM 08-17-2016
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Hog Farmer, I hope you've been investing in Neuromama. And then sold it yesterday.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/16/inve...sec/index.html
No, I missed that one. I have been enjoying a nice ride with NVDA though.
[Reply]
lewdog 04:49 PM 08-17-2016
Originally Posted by Hog Farmer:
No, I missed that one. I have been enjoying a nice ride with NVDA though.
Dude, you've listed some stocks you've purchased that have had some nice recent runs. I am impressed. You need to start sharing these earlier!!!
[Reply]
lewdog 04:49 PM 08-17-2016
Can you guys tell me who you use for online brokerage accounts? I can't remember if we've discussed that.
[Reply]
Page 21 of 934
« First < 111718192021 222324253171121521 > Last »
Up