ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 25 of 26
« First < 152122232425 26 >
Media Center>Warrant Vs. Winger Vs. Cinderalla Vs. Poison Vs. Slaughter
Deberg_1990 07:27 PM 05-07-2009
The Ultimate showdown. Who kicks more a$$ ???
[Reply]
Stryker 07:59 AM 09-17-2020
As far as kick ass, I would rank...

Poison
Cinderella
Warrant
Slaughter
Winger

I have seen all of the above several times except Winger, never saw them.
[Reply]
Lzen 08:22 AM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Long Cold Winter tour.

My girlfriend at the time loved that album and wanted to see them live at Kemper, so I got us passes. I wasn’t expecting much because all I had heard from them was a few songs off their first album and while they were fine, it didn’t pique my interest.

Man, I was wrong.

That concert was unforgettable and like Scott said, seeing the white grand piano descend from the light truss was awesome. They were very Blues-based, which I wouldn’t have guessed from their MTV videos and while they certainly weren’t virtuosos by any stretch of the imagination (and Fred Coury was never allowed to play on their albums because he is a shitty drummer that can’t keep time), they were definitely tight.

It’s really a shame that the singer had vocal chord and nasal issues in the early 90’s, as they were set to go into the studio with my former road roomie, Kevin Valentine, on drums with Steven Thompson and Michael Barbieri producing, the guys that produced Tesla’s biggest albums and Ozzy’s No More Tears.

Good take. I always liked that album because of the more bluesy style. For that reason, while I no longer care much for a lot of the hair bands of those days, I always felt that Cinderella was a little different.
[Reply]
Lzen 08:28 AM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Yea I agree. Cinderella, was probably one of the best of the hair metal bands. Decent sound. Their look and name was just an unfortunate timing of the era.

I still listen to some hair metal at times. Although admittedly a good majority of it is infantile and the lyrics make my ears hurt now.

But some of the stuff still holds up like Cinderella.
Good take. Infantile, I suppose, is a good way to describe a lot of those hair bands. Yeah, I got into them back in the day because I was a teen and didn't really know much about good music. I can't stand to listen to bands like Poison and Def Leppard (Hysteria) these days.

I will note that I did catch a little of one of those European festivals a couple of years ago on AXS tv. Def Leppard came on and their shirtless guitarist (name escapes me atm) was really good. I guess I didn't remember him being that good back in the day.
[Reply]
Lzen 08:37 AM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
Assuming you mean Whitesnake, that's another no-contest. Whitesnake way, way better than the other two.
I was a big Whitesnake fan back in the day. Loved the John Sykes version. I just had a conversation with my wife about them the other day. Here I Go Again came on the radio and I had to change it. Can't stand hearing that song because it has been worn out. Besides, for a ballad, I prefer It's Not Love off that same album. However, there are some great non-ballad tunes on that album. So, I just put on the album but skipped when Here I Go Again came up. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Stryker 08:52 AM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Good take. Infantile, I suppose, is a good way to describe a lot of those hair bands. Yeah, I got into them back in the day because I was a teen and didn't really know much about good music. I can't stand to listen to bands like Poison and Def Leppard (Hysteria) these days.

I will note that I did catch a little of one of those European festivals a couple of years ago on AXS tv. Def Leppard came on and their shirtless guitarist (name escapes me atm) was really good. I guess I didn't remember him being that good back in the day.
Phil Collen
[Reply]
Stryker 08:55 AM 09-17-2020
I was a big Whitesnake fan back in the day. Loved the John Sykes version. I just had a conversation with my wife about them the other day. Here I Go Again came on the radio and I had to change it. Can't stand hearing that song because it has been worn out. Besides, for a ballad, I prefer It's Not Love off that same album. However, there are some great non-ballad tunes on that album. So, I just put on the album but skipped when Here I Go Again came up. :-) :-)
Off the top of the head...

Still of the Night
Fool for your Loving
Judgement Day
Slow an' Easy
Love ain't no Stranger
[Reply]
Lzen 10:40 AM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Stryper. They're better now than they were then. Can't say that for hardly any of the other 80's bands.
I am amazed that Sweet can still sing the way he does. :-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:50 AM 09-17-2020
Check out the original version of Here I Go Again on Spotify. I first heard it back in 1982 and suffice to say, it's very, very different altogether. Different lyrics, different instrumentation and it's more like a Gospel song than a Pop song.

My favorite Whitesnake album since 1987 is Good To Be Bad featuring Doug Aldrich and Reb Beach. Doug wrote all the music with David and does a majority of the solos but Reb is definitely Reb on that album. The followup, Forevermore is a solid album as well while One Of These Days is just an amazing acoustic ballad that could have been released in 1974 and been a huge hit.

IMO, both of those albums are as good or better than 1987 and Slide It In, which was repackaged for America in which John Sykes replaced many of the original solos. You can hear his trademark "Slide on the Low E String" on several of the songs, which John Kalodner wanted him to do, not Coverdale. There's more of a "singular vision" on the albums I mentioned than Slide It In to 1987, which saw various member changes while John Kalodner stood loudly watching over their shoulders 24/7/365.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 12:56 PM 09-17-2020
I remember the original ‘here I go again’ had the line:

“Like a hobo I was born to walk alone“ instead of drifter.
[Reply]
Lzen 03:04 PM 09-17-2020
You know, now that you mention it, I may have heard the original Here I Go Again. My buddy and roommate back when we were teens and just getting into Whitesnake ended up buying like the 10 previous albums over at Mother Earth music store. Prior to that, we had no idea that they had been around that long. I think I may have been the one who listened to those more than anyone else who lived there.
[Reply]
Lzen 03:09 PM 09-17-2020

[Reply]
Frazod 03:22 PM 09-17-2020
Interesting.

While I like the later version better, that certainly wasn't bad.
[Reply]
eDave 03:25 PM 09-17-2020
Is This Love. And it's still awesome.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:51 PM 09-17-2020
My favorite Whitesnake song is Still of the Night.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:24 PM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
My favorite Whitesnake song is Still of the Night.
Fun Fact: In 1992, Coverdale was looking to reform Whitesnake because he disbanded them at some point in 1990 or 1991 (I can't remember exactly).

Anyway, he lined up Warren DiMartini from Ratt as one of the guitarists while Mike Varney, who used to run a Guitar-Driven label called Shrapnel, called me while I was still living in KC to ask if I'd fly to Palm Springs to play and write with the new version that Coverdale had put together.

Sensing that Hair Metal was done as a genre, I politely passed, although if that had happened 10 years before or even 5, I'd have been there faster than the Roadrunner.

Unfortunately, that version of the band never ended up happening but Coverdale did put together a killer version of Whitesnake in 2002 featuring Reb Beach from Winger and super awesome guitarist Doug Aldrich.
[Reply]
Page 25 of 26
« First < 152122232425 26 >
Up