ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 61 of 171
« First < 11515758596061 6263646571111161 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:34 PM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
This x100. Liked it so much I ended up naming my dog after a character.
Which one?
[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:41 PM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Rome is legit. It’s not aged the best but it is good. Stick with it.

Have you watched the wire?

Oh, indeed!

The Wire, Sopranos and Game of Thrones would honestly make my all-time top 5 TV shows.

That’s kinda why I’m sticking with HBO for now. Couldn’t get into Westworld and Rome didn’t impress at first but Deadwood’s got potential.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:50 PM 03-08-2020
Stick with Rome and then hit Deadwood.

Westworld is good but I can see how a guy could not get too into it.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:04 PM 03-08-2020
Which one?
Pullo
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:02 PM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Pullo
:-) That’s what I figured. What a great name for a really good character.

I might have to re-watch Rome again. They did a great job of not making it formulaic or diluted by being too big. Even though we know where the story was going, we didn’t know how we could get there with the characters they were following.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 03:04 AM 03-09-2020
I’m probably just late to the party but, Happy! is fucking amazing. To me it has a bit of a Deadpool vibe to it. Twisted dark humor, action, violence, blood, and the story line is insane. If you haven’t seen it, I can’t recommend it enough.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 03:05 AM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
For no reason I can think of I started watching Hap and Leonard on Netflix today. About to finish season 1. So far a good show. I think season 3 starts tonight on Sundance.
We just finished the 3 seasons, and what a good show. Enjoyed the hell out of it!
[Reply]
vailpass 01:45 PM 03-10-2020
:-) That’s what I figured. What a great name for a really good character.

I might have to re-watch Rome again. They did a great job of not making it formulaic or diluted by being too big. Even though we know where the story was going, we didn’t know how we could get there with the characters they were following.
Agreed on all points. Gritty, at times comedic, and real.I’m fascinated by that time period. The dialogue in that series was superbly written and performed.
[Reply]
patteeu 10:50 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Fleabag lives up to the hype. [FTR, lead actress, writer and creator of Fleabag is writer and creator of Killing Eve].

Very British, very now. But still very relatable.

The central conceits are the competing stresses of family and relationships, particularly in the clash/environment of wild personal lives with proper manners/etiquette. This is informed by the central character making the audience her confidante, telling the camera the subtext of the situation or her personal reactions in the middle of the scene. I've honestly never seen someone who can say so many many many things with her eyes.

It's 2 seasons, 6 eps each, 30-minute eps. Very bingeable, or nice little bite-sized bits to mix into your rotation. Looks like it's done, but it's done like the BBC Office was, not because it wasn't popular but because the story is told [for now]. And besides the humor and situations, the overall story is moving as well.

Somewhere midway between Hugh Grant, Woody Allen and Ricky Gervais.

EDIT - to add, thinking on it, a lot of people might be dissuaded from this show by the buzz of how it's all this feminist girl power. That it might be some of that strident preachy stuff that's en vogue right now. But one of the most refreshing things about the show overall is how open and honest it is about the main character talking a good game about modern empowerment, while she harbors some deeply sentimental and traditional notions. There's a lot that's messy, but the things they are striving for will set many hearts aflutter as it resonates with their own personal foibles. It's tough to detail without spoiling far too much, but there are decisions made and growth demonstrated that you might not think possible these days. Maybe the talent of Phoebe Waller-Bridge, beyond just being a good writer, is being a good writer who respects the complexity of both trying to be unique AND finding meaning.
Pretty unique show. Very funny.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 10:34 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Pretty unique show. Very funny.
Does it get better after the first 10 minutes? Wife and I noped out (and we LOOOOVE Catastrophe).
[Reply]
patteeu 06:49 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Does it get better after the first 10 minutes? Wife and I noped out (and we LOOOOVE Catastrophe).
The second season is supposedly better than the first, but I've just seen the first. If it wasn't for you in the first 10 min, it probably isn't for you.
[Reply]
Shogun 06:56 AM 03-18-2020
Locke and Key was AWESOME IMO

and The Umbrella academy is pretty good so far, I'm not all the way through the first season yet.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 08:03 AM 03-18-2020
The Korean zombie series Kingdom is out with season 2
[Reply]
Monticore 05:44 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Shogun:
Locke and Key was AWESOME IMO

and The Umbrella academy is pretty good so far, I'm not all the way through the first season yet.
I liked umbrella, will have to try Locke, anybody see Killing Eve , I liked it , having a crazy, emphasis on crazy hot assassin helped keep me interested.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 08:26 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
The Korean zombie series Kingdom is out with season 2
We just watched season one and started season 2. Damn it’s pretty bad ass. Those zombies are a far cry from the ones in Walking Dead. If zombies happen that way, we’re fucked!
[Reply]
Page 61 of 171
« First < 11515758596061 6263646571111161 > Last »
Up