ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 10
« First < 678910
Media Center>'Godzilla vs. Kong' Likely the Latest Tentpole to Go to a Streamer
Tribal Warfare 11:19 PM 11-25-2020

Exclusive: 'Godzilla vs. Kong' likely the latest tentpole to go to a streamer https://t.co/oqlxUlCYTf pic.twitter.com/so3kC2C48m

— The Hollywood Reporter (@THR) November 26, 2020

[Reply]
Mennonite 10:58 AM 10-01-2021
The problem with nearly all of the giant monster movies is that they are boring. A good chunk of the movie is going to be focused on humans due to budgetary reasons but the writers rarely come up with anything interesting for them to do.

Another problem is that special effects just aren't that special anymore. Seeing King Kong fight dinosaurs and climb the Empire State building in 1933 had to be mind blowing. Seeing a beautifully rendered CGI Godzilla fight a beautifully rendered CGI Kong in a beautifully rendered CGI Tokyo is...boring. Too many movies have billion dollar effects budgets and it's made the audience jaded.

Why rehash Gojira 1954? Older movies basically all had the same plot - monster pops up, wrecks some shit, boring humans screw around for 80 minutes until they come up with a plan monster is defeated.

Who needs another MCU? Giant angry monsters don't have a lot of personality and god knows the writers aren't going to put any effort into creating interesting human characters of even a semi-coherent storyline so why bother?

They should try doing something different, I think. Give me a giant monster movie in a futuristic sci-fi setting. Give me a an alternate history story about Godzilla being awakened during WW2. Give me a post apocalyptic story about a world decimated by kaiju. Give me a space opera story retelling of Moby Dick with King Ghidorah in place of the whale. Give me a mythological quest story with all the classic gods and monsters replaced with kaiju.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:11 AM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by Kman34:
Godzilla movies are awful and awesome at the same time…
That's what makes them great.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:12 AM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:

They should try doing something different, I think. Give me a giant monster movie in a futuristic sci-fi setting. Give me a an alternate history story about Godzilla being awakened during WW2. Give me a post apocalyptic story about a world decimated by kaiju. Give me a space opera story retelling of Moby Dick with King Ghidorah in place of the whale. Give me a mythological quest story with all the classic gods and monsters replaced with kaiju.
I'd be down to watch all that, sure.

But the JPB's of the world will still be in here bitching about that too. It's a monster movie. There's certain obstacles in the writing that you just can't get away from. Then you'll have your traditionalists bitching about the retcon.
[Reply]
Mennonite 11:12 AM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
That's what makes them great.

I like bad movies. I don't like bad movies that are boring. Making them fun is the key.

Edit: I'm a broken record on this topic. An old post from several years ago when another Godzilla flick was coming out:

Trailer needs more tail slide.

I want to like Godzilla movies, but they all suffer from the same problem - too many scenes of boring humans and not enough monster action.

My favorite kaiju flicks:

King Kong Escapes (1967)

It plays out like a combination of James Bond, a 1960s Marvel Comics, and a Japanese monster movie. Entertaining from start to finish. It looks cheap as hell though.

Daimajin (1966)

The boring human parts aren't really all that boring. Sort of an Edo period historical thing with a badass monster wrecking havoc in the last act.

The War of the Gargantuas (1966)

Lots of action in this one. Actually a sequel to the infamous Frankenstein Conquers the World (1965)

[Reply]
ModSocks 11:15 AM 10-01-2021
I like bad movies. I don't like bad movies that are boring. Making them fun is the key.
But i don't find awesome CGI an 'splosions boring. I do find all the filler story boring. Like, lets hurry up and move past this lame setup so we can watch King Kong chuck a train at Godzilla please, thanks.

Lets destroy some cities, have some badass monster battles, some kick ass 'splosions and call it a day.
[Reply]
Mennonite 11:27 AM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:

Lets destroy some cities, have some badass monster battles, some kick ass 'splosions and call it a day.

I think it would help if the fight scenes were more creative. Seeing Godzilla smash a building for the millionth time is like watching a wrestling match from the 1950s.

You need the spectacle of unique things getting destroyed in an interesting ways.

And If you are going to show "ordinary" things being destroyed I think it would help to show those things from a human pov. That's something that is already done of course, but It's rarely done well. You need a horror/suspense style mindset to really put those scenes across.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 11:51 AM 10-01-2021
I've actually thought Legendary has done a great job of spicing up these monster battles.

In Godzilla (2014) they had the parachuting scene with the red smoke which was so well done. Plus, I mean, the Atomic Breath down the throat of the MUTO? Fucking awesome.

I thought they did a great job of making the Titans seem almost mythical in King of the Monsters as well. All of those monster fights were top notch.

Godzilla vs Kong was pretty standard but I did really enjoy the part where they had Godzilla on all fours kind of slithering toward Kong like a lizard.
[Reply]
Cheater5 12:57 PM 10-01-2021
I love these, and I will always love them. Some more than others- but they are primarily made for 12 year olds. That the 'science' doesn't hold up to scrutiny is...well...unimportant.

My only gripe is that in the past few films GODZILLA, the 'King of the Monsters', always seems to barely win his battles without some sort of assistance / intervention. I mean, gah-damn... can't they have one or two fights where he rips shit and straight fux bad guys up without almost dying-- showing everyone why...you know...he's the Alpha kaiju?

Small gripe.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:17 PM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by Cheater5:
I love these, and I will always love them. Some more than others- but they are primarily made for 12 year olds. That the 'science' doesn't hold up to scrutiny is...well...unimportant.

My only gripe is that in the past few films GODZILLA, the 'King of the Monsters', always seems to barely win his battles without some sort of assistance / intervention. I mean, gah-damn... can't they have one or two fights where he rips shit and straight fux bad guys up without almost dying-- showing everyone why...you know...he's the Alpha kaiju?

Small gripe.
Well they've still gotta create some suspense and truthfully, he really only struggled against 2v1s (the MUTOs), Ghidorah (a literal alien), and Mechagodzilla (a machine).

It's pretty clear that none of the terrestrial Titans are able to stand up against him. He wrecked the MUTOs, Kong, and Rhodan plus Mothra clearly defers to him.
[Reply]
Cheater5 03:12 PM 10-01-2021
Against the MUTOs, right after he smoked the second one— he collapsed. “Oh noes, is Godzilla dead?”. then he slowly regains consciousness, and ambles away.

Hey- I’m heavily nitpicking, lol.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 03:22 PM 10-01-2021
How the fuck is this movie boring? Outside of those three dipshits sneaking into whatever the fuck it's called that made Mechagodzilla it was acceptable, and the action scenes between the monsters was very well done.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 06:14 PM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I've actually thought Legendary has done a great job of spicing up these monster battles.

In Godzilla (2014) they had the parachuting scene with the red smoke which was so well done. Plus, I mean, the Atomic Breath down the throat of the MUTO? Fucking awesome.

I thought they did a great job of making the Titans seem almost mythical in King of the Monsters as well. All of those monster fights were top notch.

Godzilla vs Kong was pretty standard but I did really enjoy the part where they had Godzilla on all fours kind of slithering toward Kong like a lizard.

2014 was good because Edwards had done Monsters, and had an idea of what he was doing. He focused largely on developing a sense of wonder at the size of the creatures, and their impact, and it worked. But it came at the expense of other things, rather than along with them. Some obvious examples of real problems in that movie are:

That sort of stuff was relatively easy to overlook since it was the first Godzilla we'd had in a while, but it was still there.
[Reply]
Rausch 04:55 PM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
\

That sort of stuff was relatively easy to overlook since it was the first Godzilla we'd had in a while, but it was still there.
A lot of people tapped out when Heisenberg died. I was really disappointed myself knowing Kick-Ass was going to carry the movie from that point.

And I thought GVK was perfect at keeping the action/excitement up. If you hated the plot or B plot I don't blame you. If you hated the leads I don't blame you. I can't understand the "lack of action" gripe though.

And I'm with someone else in this thread who mentioned doing something new. Hell, if you know your big bad is going to be cheese hire someone like Nick Cage, Gary Oldman, or Dennis Hopper to just ham it up. Own going over the top.

Have 11 use her Stranger Things powers to "talk" to Godzilla like in the Toho movies.

Have a few cameos from 70's and 80's sci fi and horror TV play bit roles (like Stan Lee did in the MCU.)

I guess I'm saying quit "trying" to make a blockbuster and just have fun. Enjoy the genre...
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 10:55 PM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by Rausch:
A lot of people tapped out when Heisenberg died. I was really disappointed myself knowing Kick-Ass was going to carry the movie from that point.

And I thought GVK was perfect at keeping the action/excitement up. If you hated the plot or B plot I don't blame you. If you hated the leads I don't blame you.
The choices for the top actor slots were Godawful. They had Watanabe and Hawkins, two people who are more than talented enough to have been the human centers of a Godzilla movie. Instead, they went with a quartet of actors (Johnson, Farmiga, Bown, Chandler) who shouldn't have been allowed with 20 miles of even reading for those roles.

I can't understand the "lack of action" gripe though.
I'm not really sure what you mean with this.

I guess I'm saying quit "trying" to make a blockbuster and just have fun. Enjoy the genre...
Exactly. Modern Hollywood kills this sort of fantasy genre by using a terrible combination of "We're going to make this story universe fit into the real world of today" with "We're going to keep the insane plot points of the story universe, and put the kinds of twists on them that make them our own.

Then they end up combining a terrible version of the Destoroyah story line with a terrible version of the Xillien story line (minus the aliens), yet keeping the idea that Ghidorah comes from space, and fucking everything up 6 ways from Sunday.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 10
« First < 678910
Up