ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1228 of 3903
« First < 22872811281178121812241225122612271228 122912301231123212381278132817282228 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:47 AM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by AustinChief:
You can also fit the data by increasing the assumed R0 and assuming a much higher infected rate and a much lower severity for the virus, that is what one of the UK models did. I have no clue which is correct but let's be honest and recognize that there are VASTLY disparate models that can fit the data we currently have. As we get more data that will obviously change. Serology tests would be a HUGE benefit right now in regards to having much more accurate data. (Yes, I'm going to keep beating that dead horse)
If the most recent number is to be believed, an R0 of 5.7 would require 82% (IIRC) of the population to be infected to reach herd immunity. That would lead to a tremendously high peak if the virus is even close to as virulent as currently believed. Given what we've seen from isolated examples of a moderate sample size (cruise ships), such a contrastingly low severity of the virus is less likely.

I don't believe that anyone has come out against serology testing in any fashion. The issue, of course, is one of scale.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 11:48 AM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Could you make your posts a little shorter? Not trying to be a dick in just saying. If I wanted to read a long article on the subject I would go to a different website.
your reply was TLDR
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:48 AM 04-08-2020
Could you make your posts a little shorter? Not trying to be a dick in just saying. If I wanted to read a long article on the subject I would go to a different website.
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
You don't read it anyway so no, I'm not typing for the "hey, could you dumb that down so the 'arrest anyone that leaves their home' crowd can understand?".

Short enough for you sweetheart?

Don't wanna read it, don't read it. You won't offer anything useful in response anyway.
LOL. I was going to respond with something snarky. You did it better
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:51 AM 04-08-2020
:-)
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:52 AM 04-08-2020
I hope this isn't to political and I know many are bashing the models but the WH created their own model and are using it for their decisions but they won't release it. I know at one time they started out using the Imperial model which scared everyone but then transitioned to the IHME model then their own.

It would be interesting to see what the government's model looks like.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:52 AM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
You believe the R0 is presently anywhere near 1? And that it happened in, what, a week?

C'mon. You continue to overstate the ease in which you can drive a virus's R0 down to 1.

And again, how do you explain the fact that those models, even the best case scenarios with complete social isolation, DIDN'T do what you're saying would happen. They didn't bring the peak in sooner - they simply reduced it even flatter and for even longer.

The models that you're trying desperately to defend didn't even do what you claim is so facially obvious as to be beyond reproach.
Hong Kong University medical school has kept a running tally of what they believe the R0 of the virus is there. They got it as low as 0.4. So yes, I believe, it can be done.

And the model that you are talking about was assuming 50% social isolation, not 90%. That has been fairly extensively discussed on here over the last day.

If you have a virus with an R0 of 5.7 or 2.7 or 3.5 and you implement 90% of the population in social distancing then you will get the R0 below 1. The degree below one is of course dependent upon the R0, but 90% compliance to a therapy that was assuming 50% compliance will result in a fairly substantially different output, because as soon as I get that level of compliance, I'm already transmitting the virus to fewer people than currently have it, which, by definition, will move the peak in and flatten it.

Your thesis only applies if the R0 remains above 1 but below the critical threshold of the healthcare system.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:53 AM 04-08-2020
Im just saying you can be a little wordy in your responses something you admitted yourself. Do you really think anyone is going to read that longass post? Just some friendly advice
I read all the DJLN posts I can. He doesn’t shit post. Typically if he is responding he has a well thought out position that he can effectively articulate. I’ll take 10 DJLN, Rain Man, Baby Lee and Hamas for every penbrook/Mahomo whatever he is that just likes whatever rolls across his Twitter feed in whatever thread he has open. But hey, it doesn’t take much to read his posts. And catering to our ADD is what we’re here for right?
[Reply]
DaFace 11:55 AM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I hope this isn't to political and I know many are bashing the models but the WH created their own model and are using it for their decisions but they won't release it. I know at one time they started out using the Imperial model which scared everyone but then transitioned to the IHME model then their own.

It would be interesting to see what the government's model looks like.
Just in general, I wish that more of the models were made public (at the state level, too). I think they're all hesitant to do so because it invites the criticisms we're seeing in this thread, but it'd be helpful to get an idea of where the models agree and disagree.
[Reply]
Pants 11:59 AM 04-08-2020
Did Covidly break? Every country is now an 8 or a 9.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:59 AM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Hong Kong University medical school has kept a running tally of what they believe the R0 of the virus is there. They got it as low as 0.4. So yes, I believe, it can be done.

And the model that you are talking about was assuming 50% social isolation, not 90%. That has been fairly extensively discussed on here over the last day.

If you have a virus with an R0 of 5.7 or 2.7 or 3.5 and you implement 90% of the population in social distancing then you will get the R0 below 1. The degree below one is of course dependent upon the R0, but 90% compliance to a therapy that was assuming 50% compliance will result in a fairly substantially different output, because as soon as I get that level of compliance, I'm already transmitting the virus to fewer people than currently have it, which, by definition, will move the peak in and flatten it.

Your thesis only applies if the R0 remains above 1 but below the critical threshold of the healthcare system.
But what they're saying is that it the R0 literally dropped to 1 overnight.
Because those models have been trending like crap from 24 hours of being released. They've NEVER been close. If they're claiming that the fact that they were off by 2-300% within 72 hours of releasing the model because of improved social distancing, then they're saying that the 90% was already happening and the R0 was down below 1 even prior to the study being released (because these are all lagging indicators).

And even if we're NOW at at R0 below 1 (I don't believe we are because again, history says it simply never happens in practice like it does on a spreadsheet), there are still lagging indicators all over that data and it STILL wouldn't explain how wildly disparate the changes were, even on a state to state basis.

Nor does it get into the fact that, again, the models lacked internal consistency. When the imperial college put forward its best case scenario and assumed complete social isolation, it didn't bring the peak forward.

You can't be off by that much, that fast and claim it was a result of a social behavior that wasn't even being demanded on a nationwide (or generally statewide) basis at the time your model was released. It simply doesn't work. Maybe had the models tracked for a week or even 2 and then went off the rails, I'd buy that.

But they were wrong immediately. And no, there's no way to say that a wholesale behavioral change that hadn't even been adopted yet caused that. Especially when they kept 'updating' the model mid-stream and still didn't think to address that claimed multiplier? Wouldn't that have been the first and most obvious target?
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:59 AM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Just in general, I wish that more of the models were made public (at the state level, too). I think they're all hesitant to do so because it invites the criticisms we're seeing in this thread, but it'd be helpful to get an idea of where the models agree and disagree.

I agree and I think one of the reasons they listed for not sharing the model is because the modelers wanted to stay anonymous. But they should at least release them.
[Reply]
Donger 12:00 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Knock yourself out.
Easy. Yesterday:

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...ostcount=17662
[Reply]
AustinChief 12:03 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
If the most recent number is to be believed, an R0 of 5.7 would require 82% (IIRC) of the population to be infected to reach herd immunity. That would lead to a tremendously high peak if the virus is even close to as virulent as currently believed. Given what we've seen from isolated examples of a moderate sample size (cruise ships), such a contrastingly low severity of the virus is less likely.
So, your belief in one model over the other (even though either can fit the data) is based on what we have seen happen on cruise ships. That is as good a basis as any but it could still be a bad assumption. What were the demographic breakdowns? Pretty sure cruise ship passengers skew MUCH higher in age than the general population.

My point is, while there are certainly good reasons to favor one model over others, we should refrain from dismissing the others entirely when we are still so much in the dark.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:05 PM 04-08-2020
But these benevolent, wise and noble scientists would never do things to insulate them from potentially constructive criticism.

They're just here to provide completely sterile, wholly objective data and would surely welcome eyes that might provide a viewpoint untarnished by ownership who could show them where they may be making faulty assumptions.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:05 PM 04-08-2020
Hard telling what the right answer would be. The pragmatic side of me says from a public administration standpoint, 1 government position presented to the public would have a better chance of compliance of whatever they’re trying to implement.

You and me can handle multiple information sources and make a reasonable decision. I have my doubts that would scale to the rest of the population.

Spoilered some non-partisan comments that could be construed as DC, but I feel are prudent to this discussion. No I’ll-intent, but if you have to ban me, ban away.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Page 1228 of 3903
« First < 22872811281178121812241225122612271228 122912301231123212381278132817282228 > Last »
Up