ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1118 of 3903
« First < 11861810181068110811141115111611171118 111911201121112211281168121816182118 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:17 AM 04-05-2020
Did you know this? The money is just an advance on your future tax refund. I had no idea and I’m paying attention. I didn’t hear this mentioned once. It’s just an advance on a future tax refund that you have to pay back. Unless you owe the IRS money next year.

What is a coronavirus stimulus check?

The payment — which the IRS is calling an "economic impact payment," the government has named a "recovery rebate," and many people are calling a "stimulus check" — is technically an advance tax credit meant to offset your 2020 federal income taxes.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:18 AM 04-05-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I’m kinda past the point of worrying about testing positives

It’s everywhere and it’s been everywhere. Biggest thing now is get the hospitalizations down then get on testing
Completely agree. This is not longer a matter of "do you have it or not" but WTF can we do for the people who do have it or if you get it?

Or lets it this way, mitigation right now is like bailing water out of a sinking ship.

Testing is just measuring the level of water as it is currently.

And though mitigation will slow the sink, until you patch the hole you're fighting a losing battle.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:18 AM 04-05-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Did you know this? The money is just an advance on your future tax refund. I had no idea and I’m paying attention. I didn’t hear this mentioned once. It’s just an advance on a future tax refund that you have to pay back. Unless you owe the IRS money next year.

The payment — which the IRS is calling an "economic impact payment," the government has named a "recovery rebate," and many people are calling a "stimulus check" — is technically an advance tax credit meant to offset your 2020 federal income taxes.
I am not even going to get into politics here but does any of that surprise you, BRC?
[Reply]
O.city 11:20 AM 04-05-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Completely agree. This is not longer a matter of "do you have it or not" but WTF can we do for the people who do have it or if you get it?

Or lets it this way, mitigation right now is like bailing water out of a sinking ship.

Testing is just measuring the level of water as it is currently.

And though mitigation will slow the sink, until you patch the hole you're fighting a losing battle.
Testing is important when you test and trace and isolate

At this point you’ve locked everything down so I don’t know what the point of testing really is
[Reply]
cdcox 11:23 AM 04-05-2020
Not only am I not suggesting that I even said we need to listen to him. Again, you are reading what you want and not what I said.
You are advocating opening things up sooner that the leading epidemiologists recommend and simultaneously undermining the authority of Fauci. You have said these things today.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:23 AM 04-05-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Testing is important when you test and trace and isolate

At this point you’ve locked everything down so I don’t know what the point of testing really is
Well my thought on testing was always I could test negative and 10 minutes after my test go get infected. So unless you are going test everyone and lock them up until everyone tests negative I think it's a futile effort in practice.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:24 AM 04-05-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
You are advocating opening things up sooner that the leading epidemiologists recommend and simultaneously undermining the authority of Fauci. You have said these things today.
I am not advocating anything one way or the other. Again you are reading what you want or inferring what you want. Whatever.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:26 AM 04-05-2020
I am not even going to get into politics here but does any of that surprise you, BRC?
I guess I’m not surprised. I don’t see partisan politics here. Both sides signed off on the deal. They didn’t say, hey this is just an advance on your future tax refund that you have to pay back.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:30 AM 04-05-2020
I guess I’m not surprised. I don’t see partisan politics here. Both sides signed off on the deal. They didn’t say, hey this is just an advance on your future tax refund that you have to pay back.
Yeah, I wonder what that means if you aren't due a refund next year? Do you have to pay it back???? Meh, fucking government can't touch anything without fucking it up one way or the other.
[Reply]
carlos3652 11:31 AM 04-05-2020

False

Here’s an example which we hope will help. A single taxpayer with two children (both under 17) receives a stimulus check for $2,200 (i.e., $1,200 for the taxpayer plus another $1,000 for the children) on April 30, 2020. When our taxpayer prepares a 2020 income tax return, a $2,200 credit appears on the Form 1040. Elsewhere on the return, the $2,200 ADVANCE PAYMENT of the credit will surface. The result is a “wash” meaning the credit and the ADVANCE PAYMENT cancel each other out. Bottom line result, the taxpayer receives $2,200 (non-taxable) to spend and the money is NOT returned to the IRS.

Non taxable income, and not payable back to the IRS

PLUS if you 2020 shows a child, or you were supposed to get more than what you got based on 2018 or 2019 filing, you get that additional on top.
[Reply]
Spott 11:38 AM 04-05-2020
Originally Posted by carlos3652:
False

Here’s an example which we hope will help. A single taxpayer with two children (both under 17) receives a stimulus check for $2,200 (i.e., $1,200 for the taxpayer plus another $1,000 for the children) on April 30, 2020. When our taxpayer prepares a 2020 income tax return, a $2,200 credit appears on the Form 1040. Elsewhere on the return, the $2,200 ADVANCE PAYMENT of the credit will surface. The result is a “wash” meaning the credit and the ADVANCE PAYMENT cancel each other out. Bottom line result, the taxpayer receives $2,200 (non-taxable) to spend and the money is NOT returned to the IRS.

Non taxable income, and not payable back to the IRS

PLUS if you 2020 shows a child, or you were supposed to get more than what you got based on 2018 or 2019 filing, you get that additional on top.
What about a taxpayer that doesn’t have children?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:55 AM 04-05-2020
You can google it. Forbes, business insider, all the major networks, newspapers are saying the same thing. It’s an advance, not free money it was sold as by both parties.
[Reply]
stumppy 11:59 AM 04-05-2020
You can google it. Forbes, business insider, all the major networks, newspapers are saying the same thing. It’s an advance, not free money it was sold as by both parties.
That's not what I've read. My understanding is basically what carlos posted.
It will zero out on taxes next year.
[Reply]
Spott 12:00 PM 04-05-2020
That’s what I’ve found from everywhere that I’ve read. If someone was going to get a 2000 refund in 2021, now they’ll get 800. It doesn’t affect me because I’m not eligible for it, although it would be nice if they could just lower the amount I owe on my taxes this year.
[Reply]
SAUTO 12:05 PM 04-05-2020
You didn’t read or hear right
[Reply]
Page 1118 of 3903
« First < 11861810181068110811141115111611171118 111911201121112211281168121816182118 > Last »
Up