ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2639 of 3903
« First < 1639213925392589262926352636263726382639 264026412642264326492689273931393639 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Coach 08:34 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Well the media has made the shift from deaths to cases. A lot of people have grasped onto that and now have a "but are you dead?" attitude. I agree in places like AZ and CA where the hospitals are getting ran on things need to be taken seriously.

But people understand that if you do get Covid you are not going to die and really have a good chance to not even know you got it.

Rightly or wrongly it comes down to deaths. And good or bad, we have seen cases almost triple but deaths are not up by much.
Here's my concern on Covid. Even if you are not going to die, the long term consequences are still unknown at this point, other than probably respiratory issues, which is a whole another mess. The only close parallel one can make is the original SARS studies.

Also, and people may scoff at this and that's fine, but it's true that there will also the mental issues with this. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, and depression, to name a few.

And if one is a patient that had to be hospitalized because of it, but survived, well, good for the person for winning that battle, but the hospital/medical bills is another story, especially if that person lost its job and/or health insurance.

The whole thing is just a mess.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:34 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by Strongside:
Is there a running count or list of CP members who have contracted?

Lew
Lew
OTWP (I think)
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 08:40 PM 07-16-2020
Lew testing positive twice is very interesting to me. One was May 1st, and the other was like July 13th or something. He's either been secretly a part of these COVID party's or something about his immune system is very sensitive to this illness in particular.
[Reply]
Strongside 08:46 PM 07-16-2020
Wait, Lew x2?
[Reply]
lewdog 08:49 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by Strongside:
Wait, Lew x2?
I’ll take some Weller if you ain’t got no Pappy.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:51 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by KCrockaholic:
Lew testing positive twice is very interesting to me. One was May 1st, and the other was like July 13th or something. He's either been secretly a part of these COVID party's or something about his immune system is very sensitive to this illness in particular.
Asymptomatic and mild. I’ll take that.

Our PTA is in the hospital fighting for his life, and we’ve had another therapist and 3 nurses need hospital care from their bouts with the virus since March.
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:15 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by KCrockaholic:
It really does make you wonder if there's a big chunk of people getting this, but they develop no symptoms and don't show up on antibody tests. And they're not immune for very long.

So it's like they never really had it at all. Except they did. And we don't know if they can infect others in this state.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 09:15 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I’ll take some Weller if you ain’t got no Pappy.
I have an unopened bottle of 12 and Antique. I'll leave them sealed until we can share them.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 09:36 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:

You can't tell people their business are shut down and tough shit if it means you can't feed yourself, pay your rent, etc. People will just ignore you. Especially when the order is coming from someone who is getting their full pay check.
I agree. People need more government support.

Without a vaccine, when the government support that does exists runs out and the eviction moratorium expires, things could get grim in a hurry.
[Reply]
jdubya 10:16 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by Coach:
Here's my concern on Covid. Even if you are not going to die, the long term consequences are still unknown at this point, other than probably respiratory issues, which is a whole another mess. The only close parallel one can make is the original SARS studies.

Also, and people may scoff at this and that's fine, but it's true that there will also the mental issues with this. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, and depression, to name a few.

And if one is a patient that had to be hospitalized because of it, but survived, well, good for the person for winning that battle, but the hospital/medical bills is another story, especially if that person lost its job and/or health insurance.

The whole thing is just a mess.
Can we not say the same regarding pesticides and fertilizers we use today? How many of us have used Roundup for weeds in the last 40 years and now we have lawsuits everywhere because apparently Roundup is killing everybody?
[Reply]
BWillie 10:30 PM 07-16-2020
Looking strictly at cases a day is not how you do this. We have better testing now. That is by design. Correlate current deaths to new cases 3-5 weeks ago. When we were hitting 2,100 deaths a day we had way way more "cases" just not "confirmed reported cases".

With that said, the trend is not encouraging.
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:56 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Looking strictly at cases a day is not how you do this. We have better testing now. That is by design. Correlate current deaths to new cases 3-5 weeks ago. When we were hitting 2,100 deaths a day we had way way more "cases" just not "confirmed reported cases".

With that said, the trend is not encouraging.
I eyeball back-tested the states that are blowing up right now - AZ/TX/FL - they're running at about 5% CFR with a one month lag. Meaning deaths today are 5% of confirmed cases one month ago. If you extrapolate that a month forward - you get over 500 deaths/day for FL, 600 for TX and 200 for AZ. It's not going to be pretty.

I did a similar analysis for every state, except I pegged 20% positivity rate at 5% CFR, and then discounted for lower positivity rates. So a 5% positivity rate only gets 1.25% CFR.

Adding up every state works out to about 2000 deaths/day in the US in a month. Which will be about double where we're at now.
[Reply]
R Clark 04:58 AM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
Can we not say the same regarding pesticides and fertilizers we use today? How many of us have used Roundup for weeds in the last 40 years and now we have lawsuits everywhere because apparently Roundup is killing everybody?
It kills weeds ,did you think it wouldn’t be bad for you?
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 06:05 AM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I eyeball back-tested the states that are blowing up right now - AZ/TX/FL - they're running at about 5% CFR with a one month lag. Meaning deaths today are 5% of confirmed cases one month ago. If you extrapolate that a month forward - you get over 500 deaths/day for FL, 600 for TX and 200 for AZ. It's not going to be pretty.

I did a similar analysis for every state, except I pegged 20% positivity rate at 5% CFR, and then discounted for lower positivity rates. So a 5% positivity rate only gets 1.25% CFR.

Adding up every state works out to about 2000 deaths/day in the US in a month. Which will be about double where we're at now.
No way that's happening.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 06:18 AM 07-17-2020
Letter from an investment advisory firm to its clients on Covid/Investing

The 20th-century’s greatest pandemic (the Spanish Flu
of 1918) probably had an R0 just above 2.0, so the herd immunity threshold was likely 55-60%. But historians
estimate just 20% of people had been infected when the Spanish Flu’s spread suddenly collapsed. Philadelphia
saw peak deaths in mid-October 1918, but by mid-November the disease was effectively gone from the city. Spread
of the Spanish Flu peaked and plunged in weeks, without ever reaching herd immunity.
So how do we explain this?
The answer: there is not one, but two levels of population “immunity” to consider.
First, herd immunity: the level of specific resistance in a population required for a disease to fully disappear.
Second, the disease break point: the level of specific resistance in a population at which spread of a disease
collapses. The disease break point is generally one-third or less the threshold required for herd immunity.

The disease break point model uses graph theory to better explain how outbreaks evolve in practice. The model
assumes actors and outcomes are not equally distributed – and in fact assumes they are concentrated in certain
individuals and sub-populations. A node with a well-connected social graph is more likely to be infected early and
to transmit the disease widely. Once recovered, however, the “immune” node becomes a dead-end for future
disease spread. The system spikes and then collapses far quicker than a herd immunity model (a homogenous
approximation model) would predict as these “super-spreaders” become “super-suppressors.”
For COVID-19, the implications are powerful. If C19’s R0 is 2.5-3.0 and its herd immunity threshold is 60-65%,
then the disease break point would be only 15-20% specific resistance (a population’s precise disease break point
likely varies somewhat due to differences in susceptibility and social graphs).
Our research indicates Europe and the US reached this disease break point in March and April, respectively. We
believe spread of COVID-19 in these geographies has peaked and is now in irrevocable, sustained decline.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ws6...kSK3OS5l44ASqc
[Reply]
Page 2639 of 3903
« First < 1639213925392589262926352636263726382639 264026412642264326492689273931393639 > Last »
Up