ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Media Center>How to cut the cord with older technology?
OnTheWarpath15 09:55 AM 04-18-2019
Need the Planet's brainpower on this one.

I'm sick and tired of paying ridiculous amounts of money for cable and internet.

Here's my problem - we have three TV's in the house - none of which have Smart TV technology and only one has HDMI. Said TV w/HDMI also runs the home theater speakers, which are run by an older Yamaha receiver - also without HDMI.

This means we've had to rely on some sort of cable or satellite box for either component video/audio on the older TVs or optical audio for the older plasma.

I'm starting to feel like the only option is to drop cash to update the TV's.

WTF are my options?

Sincerely,

Someone that doesn't have ridiculous tech skills.
[Reply]
Fish 11:26 AM 04-18-2019
Roku solution would work. Picture quality would suck over composite though. 480 resolution limit. Not sure how important that is to you, but it would drive me mad. Best option would be to bite the bullet and replace the old TVs.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 11:28 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Buy an HD antenna for local HD channels. There are usually quite a few local channels out there if you live near a major city.
Locals are included with YouTube TV, correct?
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 11:29 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Yep. I use my Xbox One for a media center. Works great (though I do somewhat prefer an actual remote over the controller, but whatever).

Just note that the Roku Express won't put out an HD signal over composite, so depending on how old we're talking on the older TVs, that could be a drawback.

If you do go the Express Plus route, it's cheaper at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roku-Expr...ALUE/369278616
Damn, over $20 cheaper.

I'm going to buy one for no other reason than it will make the wife happy to be able to watch Netflix upstairs on the old TV.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:51 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Locals are included with YouTube TV, correct?
Correct. You might want to plug your ZIP code in here just for fun, but in most cases you'll have them.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:57 PM 04-18-2019
Vizio.

Excellent smart tv features and affordable.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:00 PM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...I could use YouTube TV for content (along with current Netflix sub) put a Roku Express on the two older TV's, and use the XBox1 on the plasma.

I think the only channel I'd really be missing out on is NFLN.
Most of NFLN stuff you’d want to see (outside of actual games) is actually on YouTube a day later.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:04 AM 04-19-2019
torrents work too for all the historical/documentary NFLN content
[Reply]
Mecca 06:38 AM 04-19-2019
As long as you don't want to go with 65 plus on a tv even the 4k ones are coming down pretty significantly in price.

Samsung and LG are working on their new Q and O tech so their regular tech is dropping to a degree, best buy had a LG 70 inch 4k on sale the other day for 750 which is an outstanding deal.

Depending on what matters size/picture quality/price all that you can find something that works. Stores like Costco pretty routinely have 4k 55 inch tvs for less than 500 bucks that are the high end brands.

But if size matters more than true picture quality I'd go vizio you get a bigger picture for the price.
[Reply]
srvy 10:30 AM 04-19-2019
Does your older receiver and TV have component connections? If it does its capable of HD.
If it doesnt have hdmi use the optical or coaxial connection for 5 to 1 audio. If you only have composite I would upgrade.

[Reply]
WhiteWhale 10:34 AM 04-19-2019
I mean, sounds like you should just get smart TV's.

I just have the one TV. I never really use it except during football season. It's a fatback. :-) I just don't want to move the motherfucker.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:35 AM 04-19-2019
It blows my mind when I still see tube tvs.
[Reply]
srvy 11:15 AM 04-19-2019
The earlier Amazon fire tv had ethernet and component connections. I dont know if they still have that option though.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:18 AM 04-19-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
The earlier Amazon fire tv had ethernet and component connections. I dont know if they still have that option though.
The newer boxes just have ethernet, even the cube has it but you have to use an adapter that they give you, my oldest box is like 4 years old and it has no component cables on it.
[Reply]
Rausch 08:50 AM 04-23-2019
You can buy a Roku 2 for about $30-$50 these days used. Hell, perhaps even new.

Between Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix there isn't much point in paying Dish/Cable co's...
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 11:04 AM 04-23-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
It blows my mind when I still see tube tvs.
I have it as back up tv when there are multiple games on I want to see or for the old XBox. Damn thing still works great, no need to get rid of it.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up