FAX 12:10 PM 04-05-2019
Didn't see a thread, so I made my own.

Disclaimers; Sorry if repost.

FAX
[Reply]
FAX 07:18 AM 04-10-2019
Originally Posted by booger:
:-)

I was confused with how he played lefty but didn’t switch the strings around like someone who plays left handed does. Saw a video where he had two different right handed players come up and play his guitar and sing a song while he switched to bass... Had to know some history on the man, very unique player but turns out that was just normal to him seeing how his brother played. Got that from this video

https://youtu.be/LLM_V5HXoLA

Long but I enjoyed it. Talented dude and the English fellow has a bunch of good vids on guitars and gear with another English fellow and they are a riot to listen to

And I think I heard something in that video he and Gary Clark Jr played some stuff together so that’s what I have got to dig into next! I’m way behind with some of this stuff and thankfully the folks on CP share these things :-)
I couldn't figure it out either, Mr. booger. The first time I heard him play, it sounded ... somehow different. Then I saw him play, and I felt even weirder, but I still couldn't quite put my finger on it ... so I chalked it up to him playing lefty. Then they showed a close-up of his fretting and I thought, "Damn it's backward AND upside-down".

Honestly, I don't know how he does it. The chord structures he uses baffles me.

He is definitely a guitar savant. One of the best electric players in the world, in my opinion (if not THE best). Apparently, his brother shoved a guitar in his hands when he was 4 years old and he started jamming some Deep Purple. (Probably Smoke). Personally, I absolutely love the tone he gets. His rig is very basic, so I guess I'm hearing his soul coming through the amp, too.

Like many of these guys, he succumbed to alcohol and drugs and went hard time the Pokey Way for a while and was forced to go back to playing small clubs ... that's after world tours with the best of the best. Same ol' sad story. The drink and hard dope always win ... at least for awhile.

BTW, I'm very happy another Planeteer likes stuff like this. I have a long list of candidates for this thread I made ... but I don't want to overdo things ... so I'm restraining myself. Rock & Roll is only the blues with a back-beat, after all.

FAX
[Reply]
booger 11:39 AM 04-21-2019
Originally Posted by FAX:
I couldn't figure it out either, Mr. booger. The first time I heard him play, it sounded ... somehow different. Then I saw him play, and I felt even weirder, but I still couldn't quite put my finger on it ... so I chalked it up to him playing lefty. Then they showed a close-up of his fretting and I thought, "Damn it's backward AND upside-down".

Honestly, I don't know how he does it. The chord structures he uses baffles me.

He is definitely a guitar savant. One of the best electric players in the world, in my opinion (if not THE best). Apparently, his brother shoved a guitar in his hands when he was 4 years old and he started jamming some Deep Purple. (Probably Smoke). Personally, I absolutely love the tone he gets. His rig is very basic, so I guess I'm hearing his soul coming through the amp, too.

Like many of these guys, he succumbed to alcohol and drugs and went hard time the Pokey Way for a while and was forced to go back to playing small clubs ... that's after world tours with the best of the best. Same ol' sad story. The drink and hard dope always win ... at least for awhile.

BTW, I'm very happy another Planeteer likes stuff like this. I have a long list of candidates for this thread I made ... but I don't want to overdo things ... so I'm restraining myself. Rock & Roll is only the blues with a back-beat, after all.

FAX
I get caught up in what I like and sticking with that so I appreciate new stuff even if it’s just new to me or I’m late to the table catching up with everybody else! Keep ‘em coming, good stuff :-) Happy Easter
[Reply]
srvy 06:51 PM 04-21-2019
The late Candye Kane used to see her come round KC on the Blues circuit.

[Reply]
srvy 07:13 PM 04-21-2019
The great Little Hatch RIP. I could nearly walk to Nightmoves north of the river and catch great Blues artist. One of my all time favorites and great man. He would sit down and talk with you between sets just class act. Hart to believe he has been gone 16 years now. I miss Nightmoves it used to be at Vivion Rd and N Brighton where QT sits now.

[Reply]
SAUTO 10:08 AM 04-22-2019
Nightmoves was cool
[Reply]
srvy 06:41 AM 04-23-2019
Yeah it was bit of a dump but thats what gave it character.
[Reply]
FAX 06:51 AM 04-23-2019
The best blues clubs are "dumps".

That's how it's supposed to be ... and may it never change.

FAX
[Reply]
FAX 12:14 PM 06-09-2019
Now for something completely (almost) different. Song uses a modified 12-bar blues progression in a minor key and this isn't somebody's back porch ... I get that. But this made me a little weepy, so I'm sharing.

[Reply]
stumppy 07:17 PM 06-09-2019
Beautiful
[Reply]
rabblerouser 12:30 PM 06-10-2019
even though this was opening for Kenny Wayne Shepherd, we wrote these songs on the back porch, if that counts?

[Reply]
rabblerouser 08:13 AM 07-13-2019
bump for the back porch :

[Reply]
Barret 08:32 AM 07-16-2019
This is Wes Jeans, He is an incredibly good blues guitarist here in East Texas. "Forest of the Pine" is a tribute to "The Piney Woods" which is East Texas.

[Reply]
rabblerouser 11:25 PM 07-16-2019
Originally Posted by Barret:
This is Wes Jeans, He is an incredibly good blues guitarist here in East Texas. "Forest of the Pine" is a tribute to "The Piney Woods" which is East Texas.

I remember when him and Lance Lopez used to jam together a lot...
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up