ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 30
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Media Center>The Curse of Oak Island
mr. tegu 01:31 PM 01-13-2014
Has anyone else started watching this show? I am a sucker for this kind of thing and so far it has been very interesting. You can watch the first two episodes in the link below. Since this was filmed over the summer, if any of you have figured out what happens please use spoilers for anything that hasn't aired yet.

http://www.history.com/shows/the-curse-of-oak-island

For those who aren't familiar, very briefly, it is about an island on the eastern shore of Canada that is rumored to have buried treasure from possibly the Knights Templar dating back to the 1300s. In 1795 an apparent secret hiding space was discovered in which levels of wooden planks were buried every 10 feet. Digging down around a hundred feet, they found some gold link chain and a few other things. Eventually they dug to a point that causes the hold to be flooded by sea water as if it was some sort of boobie trap, which is believed to come from some type of tube that is out in the ocean.

Another person in the 1970s dug alongside the original hole but also got his hole flooded by sea water. These guys now who are on the show purchased most of the island and are trying to solve the mystery with help from the guys who dug their own hole in the 1970s. The hole curse aspect is just kind of meh and I don't really pay attention to it, but I am sure the producers just like the added element it presents. The mystery and adventure is really interesting. It is nice to see a show like this that is actually producing some results so far.
[Reply]
rocknrolla 12:41 AM 02-04-2014
I"m thinking they will find something, with the series being so short unlike Goldrush. That being said, I would think there would be something in the news.
[Reply]
aturnis 12:52 AM 02-04-2014
I'm thinking it's short b/c it's a show going mostly uninteresting process. I think they find something interesting this final episode, but doubt anything more. Guessing they choose to end the season here b/c all the footage they shoot between what well see and winter was fruitless.

Hope something big happens next year.
[Reply]
seaofred 08:45 AM 02-04-2014
Originally Posted by rocknrolla:
I"m thinking they will find something, with the series being so short unlike Goldrush. That being said, I would think there would be something in the news.
I don't know that it would have to be in the news. It's a privately owned Island and a privately funded expedition. Plus, they may have something in their contract with History Channel, saying they won't say what they found, until it's been on the show.
[Reply]
aturnis 09:54 AM 02-04-2014
Word would get out to the citizens on the island, and out to the world.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 11:32 AM 02-04-2014
Originally Posted by aturnis:
There is like 10 or 20 people and half of them are directly involved. The rest could simply be unaware because the guys won't say anything to those not involved.
[Reply]
aturnis 12:46 PM 02-04-2014
To big of news. I don't buy it.
[Reply]
seaofred 12:53 PM 02-04-2014
I don't think anyone lives on the Island..
[Reply]
aturnis 12:54 PM 02-04-2014
The island isn't completely private. There are residents. Also, the mainland is basically the same community.
[Reply]
seaofred 01:00 PM 02-04-2014
The island isn't completely private. There are residents. Also, the mainland is basically the same community.
According to Wikipedia, it is completely privately owned and no one lives on the island..
[Reply]
Easy 6 01:43 PM 02-04-2014
What little they preview of this weeks show makes it pretty clear they find something good... its starting to look like that Norwegian guys theory wasnt so kooky after all, the stones were right where he said they'd be and that spot in the swamp is not only pinging hard for gold and silver, but it appeared they were standing directly on top of some flat, solid structure.
[Reply]
aturnis 03:58 PM 02-04-2014
Originally Posted by seaofred:
According to Wikipedia, it is completely privately owned and no one lives on the island..
According to the show itself, the brothers bought a majority share of the company that owns most of oak island.

Also, the Nolan guy LIVES on oak island, was it Mike Nolan? I'd imagine the guys who dug 10x live on the island also. Is the oak island museum privately owned, our owned by their company?
[Reply]
SAUTO 04:07 PM 02-04-2014
According to the show itself, the brothers bought a majority share of the company that owns most of oak island.

Also, the Nolan guy LIVES on oak island, was it Mike Nolan? Is imagine the guys who dug 10x live on the island also. Is the oak island museum privately owned, our owned by their company?
im pretty sure the old guy lives on the island
[Reply]
bowener 05:06 PM 02-04-2014
I will admit this episode was very interesting. I had never heard of the Norwegian guys theory. And even if it is just another rock in the swamp, that is still pretty intriguing from a historical perspective. Though I do wonder why they didn't bother going to find the other stones in the diagram since they would have been easier to locate than the swamp stone (especially using GPS instead of strides). I realize the "mercy" stone is the important one, but I would have had to go find all of them.

edit: The swamp area almost looks like a man made structure attaching two smaller islands together making one large island.
[Reply]
Easy 6 07:06 PM 02-04-2014
Originally Posted by bowener:
I will admit this episode was very interesting. I had never heard of the Norwegian guys theory. And even if it is just another rock in the swamp, that is still pretty intriguing from a historical perspective. Though I do wonder why they didn't bother going to find the other stones in the diagram since they would have been easier to locate than the swamp stone (especially using GPS instead of strides). I realize the "mercy" stone is the important one, but I would have had to go find all of them.

edit: The swamp area almost looks like a man made structure attaching two smaller islands together making one large island.
Even stranger, was that the mercy stone was found to be inscribed after they dug it up and turned it over, IIRC it was the letter G... that letter is loaded with symbolism in some circles.
[Reply]
aturnis 07:40 PM 02-04-2014
Don't believe they dug up the mercy stone yet. There were markings on the bottom of one they dug up, but they thought it was a triangle I believe. The G was found somewhere on the island years ago. Possibly by Nolan when he discovered the rest of the stores on his land.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 30
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Up