ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Memorial Day Thread. Recognize those who served and are now gone
BigRedChief 04:41 AM 05-25-2020

Early Observances of Memorial Day

The
Civil War, which ended in the spring of 1865, claimed more lives than any conflict in U.S. history and required the establishment of the country’s first national cemeteries.

By the late 1860s, Americans in various towns and cities had begun holding springtime tributes to these countless fallen soldiers, decorating their graves with flowers and reciting prayers.

It is unclear where exactly this tradition originated; numerous different communities may have independently initiated the memorial gatherings. And some records show that one of the earliest Memorial Day commemoration was organized by a group of freed slaves in Charleston, South Carolina less than a month after the Confederacy surrendered in 1865. Nevertheless, in 1966 the federal government declared Waterloo, New York, the official birthplace of Memorial Day.

Memorial Day History:
https://www.history.com/topics/holid...al-day-history

May not know:
https://www.history.com/news/8-thing...t-memorial-day
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 05:01 AM 05-25-2020
:-)
[Reply]
Naptown Chief 06:21 AM 05-25-2020
Thank you to any veterans here on CP. God bless you and your families

Both of my grandfathers served in WW2 and my father in Vietnam.
[Reply]
Cheater5 05-25-2020, 09:04 AM
This message has been deleted by Cheater5. Reason: .
Cheater5 05-25-2020, 09:07 AM
This message has been deleted by Cheater5. Reason: Can't load pic
Easy 6 09:57 AM 05-25-2020
I render unto all of you vets out there a snappy salute

Merica!
[Reply]
Randallflagg 10:14 AM 05-25-2020
To my Brothers who didn't make it back - I salute you. God bless you and I thank you for your sacrifice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_OyFoxp_uo
[Reply]
MahiMike 10:31 AM 05-25-2020
Happy Memorial Day everyone. I have to work today so I had fun yesterday.
[Reply]
FAX 10:33 AM 05-25-2020
I have dedicated today's activities to my brother.

Whatever I do today, may it make him proud.

FAX
[Reply]
Cosmos 12:20 PM 05-25-2020
In honor of my father in law, veteran of WW2 European Theatre.

Proud member of the famous 447 Regiment... Go For Broke!

Fought for America, while his entire family was forced into Internment Camp in Colorado. Stepped into the breech on behalf of his brother, who was married with 2 kids.

Passed at 92 Yrs Old.

The Greatest Generation...to know him and be part of his life, was an honor in itself.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 12:23 PM 05-25-2020
to the guys that spent all the time training and then got shot 2 seconds into the beginning of saving private ryan.
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:30 PM 05-25-2020
Thank you to all of the veterans out there
[Reply]
seclark 01:53 PM 05-25-2020
Both grandfathers
Dad
Brother
One son
Spent wed and thurs putting 380 flags on veterans graves at our cemetery
Fri sat sun and today me my other son and 13 year old grandson put up and took down 75 flags around the cemetery.
Heading up at 5 to shut it down for the holiday.
Tomorrow me and the boys will pull up the flag poles and put them in the shed and drink a few beers.
sec
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:11 PM 05-25-2020
RIP Andy Alaniz and Marty Davis, served with both in the first Gulf War.

Andy

One of the most iconic pictures from Desert Storm, Andy is in the body bag.

Marty is on the left, he was from Salina KS, we went from MEPS all the way through BASIC and a few other schools together all the way to Ft Stewart GA. On the right is Corey Winkle who I didn't know. They were killed the same day.

RIP.
[Reply]
ChiTown 02:26 PM 05-25-2020
To my Father, who was an Army Aircorp/Air Force veteran of WWII (1939-1945) in the European theatre and passed at the age of 81 in 2002. He was my hero, and still is to this day. A short man in stature, but a giant of a human being and Father. Thanks for your service and for being an amazing role model. Love you and RIP, Dad
[Reply]
FAX 03:16 PM 05-25-2020
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
To my Father, who was an Army Aircorp/Air Force veteran of WWII (1939-1945) in the European theatre and passed at the age of 81 in 2002. He was my hero, and still is to this day. A short man in stature, but a giant of a human being and Father. Thanks for your service and for being an amazing role model. Love you and RIP, Dad
Your dad sounds EXACTLY like the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX's uncle, Mr. ChiTown.

Army Aircorp, WWII, Euro Theatre ...

I loved that guy with all my heart.

Stood about 5.6/7 but was built like a damn brick shithouse. Hight and tight on the hair. Steel-blue eyes that would take the measure of your soul and a laugh that made you feel good about yourself. Started a hardware business on Sepulveda Blvd. in the Valley, then sold it and retired to a lake house on Center Hill Lake (about an hour or so from Nashville). Raised 4 great kids and 8 grandchildren. All of them turned out pretty good, too.

Ken Emigh was the man's name. A great friend. A great man. Held his hand when he passed. But, the kicker is this;

He made the best martinis I have ever had in my life. Tasted like nothing other than a cold cloud on a Utah mountain day.

I think I'll use his recipe tonight. It won't be as good, though.

FAX
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:14 PM 05-25-2020
Originally Posted by FAX:
I have dedicated today's activities to my brother.

Whatever I do today, may it make him proud.

FAX
If you want, share some stuff about your brother. I like hearing the personal stories of service, the deeds and brotherhood that always happens.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up