ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>IS THERE a price that’s too high for you to pay Mahomes?
Direckshun 11:30 AM 05-23-2020
I know we all say in jest we should pay him a small country’s economy, and I think we all have a read on Mahomes’ character to where we anticipate he’ll re-set the market but he’s not going to gobble up half of our capspace or anything. We know it’s going to be pricey and that that’s reasonable.

But what if Mahomes goes the full Dak.

Seriously — we’ve never seen anything like this. He won an MVP *and* a Super Bowl MVP. He’s had the best start to his career in NFL history.

What if Mahomes comes to you, Brett Veach, and opens at 55m/year? 60m/year?

And if he does come in at an astronomical price that you won’t accept, what do you do? You have him on the 5th year option in 2021, and two years of the franchise tag through 2023.

But this is a guy who our ABSOLUTE BEST SHOT at multiple Super Bowls. How high is too high for that?
[Reply]
JakeF 12:47 PM 05-23-2020
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I think you can only tag him twice, unless I’ve misread the new CBA.
Yea, if Mahomes goes nuts we would have to just tag Mahomes twice and then trade him.

Then cry every day for the rest of your lives. :-)
[Reply]
JakeF 12:48 PM 05-23-2020
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Give Mahomes the entire cap and let him spread it to the other 52 players how he sees fit.
I'm good with that.

He would certainly see how his high salary hurts the rest of the team that way.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:51 PM 05-23-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Anything higher than 5 year 175 million
You’ve got to be nothing more than a shitty troll at this point.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 12:54 PM 05-23-2020
Maybe it's a dumb idea but I would just pay him a percentage of the salary cap and call it a day. You'd never have to re-negotiate as long as you want to keep him. You could add some kind of an out clause where he could be guaranteed whatever the next season's amount would be (reduced only by a new deal) if he's with us for more than 10 seasons so he gets a bonus on the back-end but I'd take a couple years of salary cap hell 15 years from now for a bunch of Super Bowls over that time period.

What the right amount of the cap would be? Probably close to 20% but maybe he'd take a little less.

I'm sure others smarter than me may have reasons why this scheme doesn't work but, if it does, it would remove any chance of Mahomes ever going anywhere no matter what else happens.
[Reply]
JakeF 01:02 PM 05-23-2020
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
Maybe it's a dumb idea but I would just pay him a percentage of the salary cap and call it a day. You'd never have to re-negotiate as long as you want to keep him. You could add some kind of an out clause where he could be guaranteed whatever the next season's amount would be (reduced only by a new deal) if he's with us for more than 10 seasons so he gets a bonus on the back-end but I'd take a couple years of salary cap hell 15 years from now for a bunch of Super Bowls over that time period.

What the right amount of the cap would be? Probably close to 20% but maybe he'd take a little less.

I'm sure others smarter than me may have reasons why this scheme doesn't work but, if it does, it would remove any chance of Mahomes ever going anywhere no matter what else happens.
That would certainly remove much of the team stress, knowing the QB is here forever.

Wouldn't a QB jump at the chance to have his salary stay current every year? Every year his salary increases and he's never underpaid.

I like it.
[Reply]
carcosa 01:35 PM 05-23-2020
PAY HIM 1 BILLION DOLLARS AND MAKE EVERYONE ELSE PLAY AND COACJ FOR FREE!!!!
[Reply]
neech 01:39 PM 05-23-2020
80 million a year.
[Reply]
FringeNC 01:47 PM 05-23-2020
Sure, there is a price too high if he were a free-agent. He's not -- we have some bargaining power, so it's unlikely we could over-pay.
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 01:47 PM 05-23-2020
Originally Posted by JakeF:
So Mahomes tells the Chiefs that he wants 100 million per year.

That leaves 2m per player for the rest of the team. Chris Jones, Frank Clark, Kelce, Tyreek Hill, etc ... all gone. Every contract signed effects the contracts for the rest of the team. There has to be a max number for every player.

I love Mahomes. If he's not the best QB now he will be soon. Let's hope he doesn't want to price gouge us.
I'm sure Mahomes has a basic understanding of how the salary cap works and what would happen to the team if he absorbed the majority of the cap. Are you calling Patrick Mahomes an idiot?
[Reply]
rabblerouser 01:52 PM 05-23-2020
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Give Mahomes the entire cap and let him spread it to the other 52 players how he sees fit.
Fair.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 02:02 PM 05-23-2020
I think the Chiefs should do something unique & innovative. Assign Mahomes a percentage of the cap that can go up every year. That way it’s automatic & no need to renegotiate every few years.

15%? 20%? 25%?

[Reply]
candyman 02:06 PM 05-23-2020
He's already said winning is everything to him and that he understands for him to win the team has to have cap space to surround him with talent. Hypothetical thread is dumb and pointless, now kindly go fuck yourself.
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:10 PM 05-23-2020
I will not give my life or any body parts.
[Reply]
KurtCobain 02:11 PM 05-23-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Give him whatever he wants.

Also, your mom's a whore!
I concur on both counts.
[Reply]
RealSNR 02:13 PM 05-23-2020
He’s not going to do that
[Reply]
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >