ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 17
« First < 289101112 13141516 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Dak turns downs 5 year 175 million deal from Cowboys
Deberg_1990 11:34 AM 05-21-2020

Dak Prescott turned down a 5-year, $175 million contract offer from the #Cowboys according to @CSimmsQB

It would've made him the highest paid QB in history.

Prescott instead is seeking “north of $45M” in the final season of his new deal, reportedly. pic.twitter.com/IBYCVaxVk7

— Dov Kleiman (@NFL_DovKleiman) May 21, 2020

[Reply]
staylor26 02:24 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Yeah, but if you're an NFL team you can't just say "If we don't have Mahomes, we're fucked..."

Even if you probably are.

So you have to pick the best of less than stellar options and then figure out how to make it work. Sure, they'd like to stumble into another Dak or Wilson and have him dirt cheap for several years. But man - Jordan Love is going in the first round these days. Teams are hard up for QBs and unless they draft top 5, attempting to draft a guy is likely to yield a worse QB than what they have. The demand for young QBs is so high that any truly good bets will go top 5.

The QB market is fucked up. Everyone knows this. But at the same time, nobody seemed to be too concerned about it during CBA discussions. If it was something the owners were really all that worried about, they'd have addressed it then.
Yea I totally get it. It’s fucking tough.

Thank god we don’t have to worry about it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:32 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
It all depends on which teams ends up in the Top 5. If the Top 5 is populated with teams like the Browns, Cardinals, Dolphins, Jets, Bengals, Giants, Detroit, Atlanta or the Rams - teams that already have their QB position set - they're going to take picks from the highest bidder.

That said, there are six possible first round QB's in the 2021 draft so if the Cowboys can't make that trade to #1 overall, they're going to get a damn good QB for far less than $30 or $35 or $40 million per, which is what Dak will cost, but without the credentials that are normally attached to a contract of that size.

But as we all know, Jerry is too stubborn to tank, even though that would most likely be his best course of action.
I don't think you pry that pick out of the Browns, Jets, Lions or Giants.

Because if any of those teams are picking 1.1, the Manziel, Darnold and Jones experiments will have failed (with Stafford's just running its course). Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of those teams have front offices in place that selected their incumbent quarterbacks, correct?

And ultimately I just disagree with the idea that they're going to "get a damn good quarterback" as a given, even in the top 10. Because history says its just as likely as not that they don't.

It's a lot harder to get even an average NFL quarterback than most will admit. And Dak, for everything he may not be, is decidedly above average.
[Reply]
Shields68 02:38 PM 05-22-2020
It all depends on which teams ends up in the Top 5. If the Top 5 is populated with teams like the Browns, Cardinals, Dolphins, Jets, Bengals, Giants, Detroit, Atlanta or the Rams - teams that already have their QB position set - they're going to take picks from the highest bidder.

That said, there are six possible first round QB's in the 2021 draft so if the Cowboys can't make that trade to #1 overall, they're going to get a damn good QB for far less than $30 or $35 or $40 million per, which is what Dak will cost, but without the credentials that are normally attached to a contract of that size.

But as we all know, Jerry is too stubborn to tank, even though that would most likely be his best course of action.
I think the Cardinals and Bengals probably belong on that list.

But if the rest might just move on to Lawrence or another top QB prospect if they end up with the top pick. At least I would. I mean Cleveland is somewhat all in on this year. top pick indicates there are serious problems most likely at QB, Rams really don't need too much more to consider Goff is a bust, the Jets and Giants might just do what Arizona did last year cut your losses and upgrade (Again bottom 5/top pick means some serious problems) Atlanta and Detroit their QB's are not getting any younger and probably new coach in Detroit might be a good time to start over...
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:45 PM 05-22-2020
Because if any of those teams are picking 1.1, the Manziel, Darnold and Jones experiments will have failed (with Stafford's just running its course). Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of those teams have front offices in place that selected their incumbent quarterbacks, correct?
I don't think the Jet are giving up on Darnold, who's only 22 years old, nor will the Browns give up on Mayfield nor the Giants on Jones, who was drafted by their current GM.

Stafford? Maybe? But they've been in a position to draft Top QB's for years and continue to pass. Unless Stafford just shits the bed in 2020, I'd be surprised to see them move on from him but with Detroit, anything is possible.

And ultimately I just disagree with the idea that they're going to "get a damn good quarterback" as a given, even in the top 10. Because history says its just as likely as not that they don't.
History? Sure. But the league is rapidly changing.

In years past, QB's like Cam Newton and Andy Dalton would have been swiped up before the first day of the new League Year, yet Dalton's earning $3 million this year and Newton's unsigned. Jameis Winston, the #1 overall pick just a few years ago, signed a deal with the Saints to be a backup while Mariota was signed to the Raiders.

As GM's and Head Coaches have skewed younger, so have QB's around the league.

It's a lot harder to get even an average NFL quarterback than most will admit. And Dak, for everything he may not be, is decidedly above average.
We're seeing more and more teams willing to make the move from "Known" to "Unknown" when it comes to the QB position and while Dak is certainly "Known" and above average, he's certainly not worth $35 million per, let alone $45 million.

Once again, with as many holes as the Cowboys have on their current roster, paying Dak 20% or more of their salary cap seems extremely unwise.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:47 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by Shields68:
I think the Cardinals and Bengals probably belong on that list.
Um, they're on that list already

But if the rest might just move on to Lawrence or another top QB prospect if they end up with the top pick. At least I would. I mean Cleveland is somewhat all in on this year. top pick indicates there are serious problems most likely at QB, Rams really don't need too much more to consider Goff is a bust, the Jets and Giants might just do what Arizona did last year cut your losses and upgrade (Again bottom 5/top pick means some serious problems) Atlanta and Detroit their QB's are not getting any younger and probably new coach in Detroit might be a good time to start over...
The Rams and the Falcons are stuck with their current QB's due to the salary cap. The Giants aren't moving on from Jones after two years, especially considering he played pretty well last year with a shitty team around him. Same goes for 22 year old Sam Darnold.

Detroit? Who the fuck knows or even cares?
[Reply]
Shields68 02:52 PM 05-22-2020
I don't think the Jet are giving up on Darnold, who's only 22 years old, nor will the Browns give up on Mayfield nor the Giants on Jones, who was drafted by their current GM.

Stafford? Maybe? But they've been in a position to draft Top QB's for years and continue to pass. Unless Stafford just shits the bed in 2020, I'd be surprised to see them move on from him but with Detroit, anything is possible.

Would agree, but I also do not think any of the above plan on having the first pick next year. A lot has to go wrong to be 2-14 or 3-13. Mayfield is set up to win now, to go 2-14 they are going to move on from a lot of guys. I think there is a good chance any of those play to 2-14 and does not show improvement from last year, management has to take the top QB in the draft and upgrade when you can.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:54 PM 05-22-2020

But to get to 1.1 you're talking, what, 2-14? If Mayfield or Darnold do that, you're talking about 13-14 wins over their first 3 seasons as a starter. And who are now in their walk years in their own right. Jones may get a little more rope but there were rumors that the Giants were considering Tua and/or Herbert. Obviously they didn't go that route, but another disaster season after getting a hell of a T prospect to protect him may have them changing their minds.

Originally Posted by :
History? Sure. But the league is rapidly changing.
And yet there are still more Rosens and Darnolds than there are Mahomes. Playing QB is easier than ever, but many, if not most, 1st round quarterbacks still haven't been very good at it.

Originally Posted by :
In years past, QB's like Cam Newton and Andy Dalton would have been swiped up before the first day of the new League Year, yet Dalton's earning $3 million this year and Newton's unsigned. Jameis Winston, the #1 overall pick just a few years ago, signed a deal with the Saints to be a backup while Mariota was signed to the Raiders.

As GM's and Head Coaches have skewed younger, so have QB's around the league.
And yet Phillip Rivers just got $25 million for a season. Brady got $50 million for 2. Neither of those guys are as good as Dak right now and neither present legitimate long-term solutions at QB.

I'm not saying a dozen teams will be lining up to give him that kind of deal - but one will. It only ever takes one team.

Originally Posted by :
Once again, with as many holes as the Cowboys have on their current roster, paying Dak 20% or more of their salary cap seems extremely unwise.
Those holes are the kind that you can't just go throwing FA dollars out there to fix, though. Trying to rebuild a secondary through high-dollar FAs just isn't terribly smart. It's every bit as inefficient as 'overpaying' at QB. Their OL, skill players and DL has solid talent on it that's under contract for awhile.

They need to draft well to fill those holes, but they're gonna need to draft well to fill those holes with or without Dak. The history of big money FA additions in the secondary just isn't that great.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:57 PM 05-22-2020
Would agree, but I also do not think any of the above plan on having the first pick next year. A lot has to go wrong to be 2-14 or 3-13.
Not really.

An injury to the starting left tackle or leading WR, defensive injuries, injury to the QB or just a shitty coaching job could easily lead to 2 or 3 wins, especially when certain teams like the Browns, Lions, Jets, Jags and Bengals are perennial losers.
[Reply]
Shields68 03:01 PM 05-22-2020
Um, they're on that list already

The Rams and the Falcons are stuck with their current QB's due to the salary cap. The Giants aren't moving on from Jones after two years, especially considering he played pretty well last year with a shitty team around him. Same goes for 22 year old Sam Darnold.

Detroit? Who the **** knows or even cares?
They might be stuck with them on the roster, but the top QB prospect for a 2 win team is going to be under consideration. Should the Rams only win 2? No, how bad would Goff be for that to happen? Same with the Falcons. If Ryan can't get them to .500 why not find a replacement.
[Reply]
Shields68 03:08 PM 05-22-2020
Not really.

An injury to the starting left tackle or leading WR, defensive injuries, injury to the QB or just a shitty coaching job could easily lead to 2 or 3 wins, especially when certain teams like the Browns, Lions, Jets, Jags and Bengals are perennial losers.
Sure, regardless you have to evaluate the year at the end of the season. Plans change. QB takes a lot of blame for 2 win seasons. Few if any teams with the top pick do not think they could not upgrade the position. Lawrence could very well come out with a draft grade of a Andrew Luck like level. Think that will be very hard to pass up.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:10 PM 05-22-2020
They might be stuck with them on the roster, but the top QB prospect for a 2 win team is going to be under consideration. Should the Rams only win 2? No, how bad would Goff be for that to happen? Same with the Falcons. If Ryan can't get them to .500 why not find a replacement.
And the benefit of a QB on a rookie deal is that you're never truly stuck w/ a guy unless you're WAAAAAY upside down on the deal.

Like that Aaron Rodgers deal, for instance.

Matt Ryan? You can get him traded for something, if only a 7th. He'd carry a $23 million hit for the acquiring team and unless he suffers an Alex Smith injury, someone will be willing to take that one. Dude has been quietly very good the last several years. Deal him for a 7th, take the dead $17 million in dead money, add the $8 million or so for the new QB and you're still only at $25 million for your quarterback (when you WERE at $40 million).

Goff? Yeah, he's probably right on Goff. There's a real chance that he's just not very good and he's sporting big-time guarantees in 2021 AND 2022 so you may not have much of a pool of takers there.

But do people really think the Rams will suck? I mean they won't be good and they'll get worse for the next few years because they don't have any draft picks, but we're talking 6-10 sub-standard not a 2-14 collapse.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:13 PM 05-22-2020
But to get to 1.1 you're talking, what, 2-14? If Mayfield or Darnold do that, you're talking about 13-14 wins over their first 3 seasons as a starter. And who are now in their walk years in their own right. Jones may get a little more rope but there were rumors that the Giants were considering Tua and/or Herbert. Obviously they didn't go that route, but another disaster season after getting a hell of a T prospect to protect him may have them changing their minds.
If the Browns and Jets both finish in the Top 5, I would doubt that either team would go with yet another young QB at the helm. I didn't see any rumors about the Giants looking into Tua, which would be really surprising since Gettleman is an old school old fart and a guy that doesn't give up on players so easily.

Of course, anything is possible but that doesn't seem like the right play because ownership would be tossing the new GM and coaching staffs after a couple of seasons or in the Browns and Giants case, one season, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

And yet there are still more Rosens and Darnolds than there are Mahomes. Playing QB is easier than ever, but many, if not most, 1st round quarterbacks still haven't been very good at it.
Dysfunctional franchises ruin more NFL players than coaching or ability. Had Rosen or Darnold gone to better franchises, let alone franchises that have proven offensive-minded coaches, their careers would likely be very different at this point.

Look at Tannehill as a recent example. The dude was playing in quicksand down in Miami yet exploded in Tennessee after he was traded for peanuts.

And yet Phillip Rivers just got $25 million for a season. Brady got $50 million for 2. Neither of those guys are as good as Dak right now and neither present legitimate long-term solutions at QB.
Tampa is in the "Win Now" mode, so it made perfect sense for them to sign Brady. They have great offensive weapons and a very good defense under Todd Bowles.

The other part of the equation is this: Would Tampa or Indy have given up a 1st rounder and some change for Dak instead of signing Brady and Rivers, respectively? I think the answer is a definite "Maybe", if not a full on Yes. Both teams think they're Super Bowl ready, with their only need being at QB.

If you had a chance to get Prime Years Dak instead of old, beat up and slow Philip Rivers or Old Man Brady, maybe one of those teams bites and maybe both get involved.

Those holes are the kind that you can't just go throwing FA dollars out there to fix, though. Trying to rebuild a secondary through high-dollar FAs just isn't terribly smart. It's every bit as inefficient as 'overpaying' at QB. Their OL, skill players and DL has solid talent on it that's under contract for awhile.

They need to draft well to fill those holes, but they're gonna need to draft well to fill those holes with or without Dak. The history of big money FA additions in the secondary just isn't that great.
They're likely to hover around 7-9 to 9-7 for the next several seasons. Even if the Cowboys draft well for the next few years, Dak will be 29 years old before their ready to compete for a Super Bowl.

With probably somewhere around $105 million invested in him at that point, which is just another reason why they should take what they can get for Dak and move on, IMO.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:16 PM 05-22-2020
The Rams roster is fucked, as they've traded away multiple first round picks along with second and third round picks for players the past few seasons. They can't absorb a $78.5 million dollar Dead Money hit. They just can't. And they're not going to play a rookie over their current QB unless he's injured. The division it would cause in the lockerroom would destroy the culture that McVay has been trying to build since his hiring.

The Falcons aren't sitting Matt Ryan, period, and they can't cut him because it would cost them $69 million in Dead Money.

Not happening in 2021.
[Reply]
Shields68 03:28 PM 05-22-2020
The Rams roster is ****ed, as they've traded away multiple first round picks along with second and third round picks for players the past few seasons. They can't absorb a $78.5 million dollar Dead Money hit. They just can't. And they're not going to play a rookie over their current QB unless he's injured. The division it would cause in the lockerroom would destroy the culture that McVay has been trying to build since his hiring.

The Falcons aren't sitting Matt Ryan, period, and they can't cut him because it would cost them $69 million in Dead Money.

Not happening in 2021.
Guess I do not see either team getting the top pick. So we have to know why they totally collapsed. But there is a chance that Lawrence comes out with a Andrew Luck can't miss rating. I would not worry about how Goff takes being benched or the team attitude, if you could go from Goff to Luck you take the deal. Ryan fine keep him a year let the Rookie sit a few games then start the second half of 2021 and cut Ryan at the end of the year. (If you can't get a pick for him which you probably can)
[Reply]
jallmon 03:33 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by -King-:

Sounds to me like Dak's camp may be leaking this offer bs to get some buzz going. Jerrah hasn't offered shit, from what we can tell.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 17
« First < 289101112 13141516 > Last »
Up