ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Draft Grade
kccrow 04:42 PM 04-26-2020
Because I know it absolutely pisses people off here.

Overall Grade B

1-32 Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB, LSU - Grade A

Surrounding Mahomes with weapons is never a bad idea and Clydro will provide him a safety net underneath against zone coverage and he's a solid short-yardage runner that can extend drives. Obviously, I'm not a believer in taking a RB in round 1 but I think returning 20 starters gives the team some form of luxury. I had a higher grade on DE AJ Epenesa who went far later than I expected, so we'll see how that plays out over the next few years. One thing for certain, KC got an immediate contributor at a position that needed added talent.

2-63 Willie Gay, Jr., LB, Mississippi State - Grade D+

If I were grading on effort, the Chiefs would get a solid B but I just don't like the player. Logan Wilson, taken 2 picks later, was widely regarded the better prospect and it wasn't even a debate. Gay, to me personnally, was a guy you take in the late 4th or 5th round as a developmental traits-based guy, but Veach saw the traits and took him much earlier. I think this is a severe reach but if he pans out then Veach will make me look silly. I'm not sure I'm taking that chance this early, especially given the academic fraud and fight with his QB. I think this is a position KC needed an immediate player at and they took a guy I expect to take 2 years to develop, if he ever does. This isn't a F-level bomb job in my opinion but I can't really fathom Gay being the better player over Wilson, who comps favorably to SF stud MLB Fred Warner. Hopefully, I have an A grade on this in 3 years and not the D+ I have today. I'd rather look stupid than smart on this one.

3-96 Lucas Niang, OT, TCU - Grade A

Let me preface with saying Niang is a first-round caliber offensive tackle, no doubt about it. The fact he was a day 2 pick was because of his injury. The fact KC got him at 96 is almost mind-blowing. This is a player I thought KC would have to take at 63 if he even made it that far. This certainly offsets my feelings about the reach for Gay and the draft as a whole. If you told me post draft that it went 1 Niang, 2 Edwards-Helaire, and 3 Gay, I wouldn't have flinched, so that's a plus from a personal angle.

4-138 L'Jarius Sneed, CB/S, Louisiana Tech - Grade A

I really, really like Sneed's tape as a CB. I'm not super high on him as a safety though so the confirmation that KC was looking to play him at CB made me feel really good about this pick. He has speed for days, he's a guy that plays the ball, and he's physical through the route. He doesn't have the hips or the feet you want right out the gate but I think he's really similar to Charvarious Ward and will improve there. The Chiefs had to address defensive backs in this draft and they had me nervous waiting this long. I thought they'd take one early on, especially with Trevon Diggs sitting there as another long and physical guy in round 1.

5-177 Michael Danna, DE, Michigan - Grade C-

This wasn't a guy I was unfamiliar with. I live in Michigan plus I'm an Ohio State fan. I've seen the product at both Central and the U. I think there's some excitement as a physical specimen there but it's more power/explosion based. I think he's a tenancious player that's going to give you everything he can. I think if you leave him out on the edge and let him just do his thing, he's a better player than bumping him down inside at times. Certainly, he doesn't have much length and I don't know if he has enough athleticism to overcome what he lacks there. I think you always look at an initial grade on a player and then you look at what you would have taken instead, because that really backs it up. For me, there were three players sitting there I would have taken long before Danna in Wake Forest LB Justin Strnad to hedge my bets on Willie Gay and provide more on special teams, Michigan WR Donovan Peoples-Jones to plan for DRob and Sammy leaving after 2020, or Kansas OT Hakeem Adeniji who is a guy you plan to kick inside. With Niang on board, Adeniji has less appeal. Honestly, I think I would have opted for Peoples-Jones. I think that if you can unlock that potential he's going to be a really special player. He has the juice to be a Sammy Watkins.

7-237 Thakarius Keyes, CB, Tulane - Grade B+

Count me among those that were thrilled KC gave up a 2021 6th to jump back in and take this guy. He was on my list of late round favorites and I certainly think he has a future if he can prove that he can stay in phase with NFL receivers. I don't like his deep speed, I don't like his hips and feet right now, and I don't like that he opens up to routes too early, allowing receivers to get underneath him. That said, I like his length and his physicality and how he fits with Spags. I think he has some correctable aspects to his game. Pitt CB Dane Jackson went a couple picks later to Buffalo and I think he's just a tad better prospect, but I'm hopeful this kid turns out.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 01:16 AM 04-30-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Willie is another name for penis, and gay is gay. This pick is Raisin Bran for you. It's two scoops of gay, and you eat it up as a hearty breakfast every day to replenish your energy after a long night of ass play with Bruce.
Each loud he busts probably has enough anti bodies to cure thousands from covid.

On a serious note the biggest knock on Gay could be the part of reading and diagnosing plays. Fair enough hes still far superior compared to any linebacker other than ODaniel who's more the size of a safety.

As far as Danna in the 5th round? Aside from being a 5th round pick he went from Central Michigan to Michigan. That school hasnt struggled in bringing in talent so its obvious he was a player in college. Now compare him to say AJ Espenza who some thought was a late round first are the measurables that much different?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:02 AM 04-30-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I'm super lazy and would be largely KCCrow (apart from the Willie Gay thing, though I believe some of his concerns do have merit, the talent is just unreal). So I shall teal his format and remove all analysis.

Overall Grade A-

1-32 Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB, LSU - Grade A

I stumped for a RB at 32 if Murray, Queen, and the corners worthy of that pick (Henderson, Gladney, Okudah) in my view were all gone. The Chiefs did it, and did it with a guy who's a better fit in the pass game than my choice (Swift) who is actually probably a better fit for the Chiefs' run style with his sudden make-you-miss elusiveness. Positional value be damned, this was the right value for KC, when weighing team needs, the ability to upgrade a position, and players available.

2-63 Willie Gay, Jr., LB, Mississippi State - Grade A

If you're not scared off by the lack of experience of Patrick Queen, then Gay shouldn't scare you, either. The physical abilities are ridiculous, and I think the character concerns are overblown (cheated on a chemistry test; got in a fight none of us would know about if he hadn't impacted the orbital bone JuuuuuuuuuST right). He's got to work on diagnosing and avoiding being fooled by play action... but so does Queen. We'd all consider Queen an A+++++ here, so...

3-96 Lucas Niang, OT, TCU - Grade A

Not someone I was looking at before the draft, but he makes sense. Potential future franchise LT who can plug into LG right away? Love it. He's also nasty in the run game when healthy. Scared of the hip labrum a little, but damn what a fit.

4-138 L'Jarius Sneed, CB/S, Louisiana Tech - Grade A-

Love this stab. He has the measureables of a lockdown, top 15 pick CB. Hidden a little because of the position switch and being at a non-Power 5 school. With the Chiefs' depth, they can develop him and slow-play it, then unleash him in Year 2 as Breeland's replacement (upgrade?)

5-177 Michael Danna, DE, Michigan - Grade C

Freaky athlete, like his production at Central Michigan. Interested to see if they have him shed the 10 pounds he gained when moving to Michigan as a grad transfer and try to get back a little more of the freakiness.

7-237 Thakarius Keyes, CB, Tulane - Grade B+

Love the tools, love the nickname. Another raw-clay stab. Worth the cost, easily.
One-upping the laziness and just quoting you and inserting my comments and grades.

I think this was a great draft. Veach really trending up well.

Particularly, I like Veach's seeming willingness to think outside the box and zag when others are zigging. He's creative in adding talent and I like the way he uses QUANTITY when taking shots on guys who have the tools. Between Sneed, Bopete, and the UDFA CBs they're bringing in, I'm confidente they get at least one starting-caliber CB out of this rookie class, and a few have star potential.

CEH will give them the depth and dependability at RB the team missed a little in 2019, and he gives them a weapon to lean on along with Kelce and Hill after Watkins leaves, which I thought was a MUST in this draft. It will give them more flexibility at WR after this season, because they won't need to match the playmaking threat of Watkins right away.

I'll also throw some love on Kalifa Lipscomb as an UDFA. The dude is a great route-runner and has good hands. He performed well in SEC play against some dynamic CBs, too. I see a potential future starter at the X.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:22 AM 04-30-2020
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I'm just hoping you're right about Willie Gay and I'm wrong. That's the lynchpin of the draft. They had to get a coverage WLB in this thing.
I think Willie is a Ryan Shazier (pre-injury :-)) type player in attitude and speed... I think you will be eating some KCCROW a year from now...:-)
[Reply]
Wilson8 02:54 PM 05-17-2020
Look at the whole offseason in giving the Chiefs a grade. Look at the draft, UDFA, and free agent signings.

A - WRs – Renegotiated Sammy Watkins contract, re-signed Demarcus Robinson, and signed UDFAs Kalija Lipscomb, Cody White, Justice Shelton-Mosley, Andre Baccellia, Maurice Ffrench, and Aleva Hifo.
We are good for 2020 and we will see what 2021 brings.

B+ - CBs –Re-signed Bashaud Breeland, signed Antonio Hamilton, drafted L'Jarius Sneed, Thakarius Keyes, and signed UDFAs Javaris Davis, Lavert Hill, and Hakeem Bailey. KC lost Kendall Fuller to Washington Redskins.
I’d like to have another CB because of the uncertainty of Bashaud Breeland and rookie CBs

B - LB – Drafted Willie Gay, and signed UDFAs Omari Cobb, and Bryan Wright. KC lost Reggie Ragland to Detroit Lions.
I don’t think Willie Gay can fix KC’s LB corps and they need a little more.

A - OL – Released Cameron Erving, signed Mike Remmer, drafted Lucas Niang and signed UDFAs Yasir Durant, Darryl Williams, and Jovahn Fair. KC lost Sefen Wisniewski to Pittsburgh Steelers.

A - DL – Franchise tag Chris Jones, re-signed Mike Pennel, signed Taco Charlton, drafted Mike Danna, and signed UDFA Tershawn Wharton. KC lost Emmanuel Ogbah to Miami Dolphins.

A - RB/FB – Re-signed Anthony Sherman, signed DeAndre Washington, drafted Clyde Edwards-Helaire.

A - QB – Re-signed Chad Henne, signed Jordan Ta’amu, placed on waivers Kyle Shurrmur, and signed UDFA Shea Patterson.

A - P - Released Dustin Colquitt, signed Tyler Newsome, and signed UDFA Tommy Townsend.

B+ - TE – Signed Ricky Seals-Jones, placed on waivers Alize Mack. KC lost Blake Bell to Dallas Cowboys.
I would still like 1 more good quality backup TE.

A - S – Signed UDFAs Rodney Clemons and Jalen Julius. KC lost Jordan Lucas to Chicago Bears.
I think a player from CB group will be playing some safety.

But probably an overall grade of A on Kansas City Chiefs offseason moves.
[Reply]
bsp4444 04:30 PM 05-17-2020
“ Logan Wilson, taken 2 picks later, was widely regarded the better prospect and it wasn't even a debate.”

I’d say there’s considerable room for debate.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:18 AM 05-18-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Willie is another name for penis, and gay is gay. This pick is Raisin Bran for you. It's two scoops of gay, and you eat it up as a hearty breakfast every day to replenish your energy after a long night of ass play with Bruce.
It's really hard not to swap out the ol' screen name to something like "Gay's Willie" or something equally graphic and off-putting...

But he's not even a starter yet and man, you don't fuck with a winning streak.
[Reply]
kccrow 10:42 PM 05-18-2020
Originally Posted by bsp4444:
“ Logan Wilson, taken 2 picks later, was widely regarded the better prospect and it wasn't even a debate.”

I’d say there’s considerable room for debate.
No, there really wasn't. Most evaluators had Wilson as the most complete LB in the draft, including the popular TV guys like Jeremiah. Nobody had much to say about Gay except for he had exciting measurables. Gay wasn't even a day 2 consideration by many boards and especially wasn't more than a late day 3 consideration before the combine. Wilson was in the top 60-65 on most boards throughout.

I'm desperately hoping Veach didn't blow this pick but history isn't exactly on his side, and neither were evaluations. He has a long way to go to turn that athleticism into a meaningful contribution for an NFL team looking at him coming in. Let us hope the clay is easily moldable.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:53 PM 05-18-2020
No, there really wasn't. Most evaluators had Wilson as the most complete LB in the draft, including the popular TV guys like Jeremiah. Nobody had much to say about Gay except for he had exciting measurables. Gay wasn't even a day 2 consideration by many boards and especially wasn't more than a late day 3 consideration before the combine. Wilson was in the top 60-65 on most boards throughout.

I'm desperately hoping Veach didn't blow this pick but history isn't exactly on his side, and neither were evaluations. He has a long way to go to turn that athleticism into a meaningful contribution for an NFL team looking at him coming in. Let us hope the clay is easily moldable.

Many people had Gay above Wilson. I don’t know where you get that from. Did most have Wilson higher? Probably, but it shouldn’t have been a shocker that Gay went before him. Dude is a legit top 20 talent and you continue to ignore that. Also, don’t you think Matt House knows what he wants at LB? I honestly don’t get the pessimism at all given his upside and the coaching he will receive.
[Reply]
Wilson8 12:19 AM 05-19-2020
I think Willie Gay will help at LB but we need some depth. If one of the starters goes down we would be in trouble unless someone that did not play last year really steps up.
[Reply]
kccrow 04:25 PM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:

Many people had Gay above Wilson. I don’t know where you get that from. Did most have Wilson higher? Probably, but it shouldn’t have been a shocker that Gay went before him. Dude is a legit top 20 talent and you continue to ignore that. Also, don’t you think Matt House knows what he wants at LB? I honestly don’t get the pessimism at all given his upside and the coaching he will receive.
I'll repeat that absolutely nobody had Gay anywhere near Wilson before the Combine. I said this the first and second time. Some boards he wasn't on, most he was in the 5th to 7th range. He shot up boards because of the combine. Combine warriors are dangerous and you know that.

Is he a legit top 20 talent? We'll find out won't we, because he wasn't available to be that in college and he made plenty of mistakes on the field when he was. He needs coaching, good coaching. He needs to finally commit to being available.

If you want to quote Jeremiah, here's what he said about Wilson when he was picked: "I think you're gonna look back five years from now and we're gonna talk about this being one of the best picks in this year's draft class," NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah said during ESPN's draft broadcast. "This kid reminds me so much of (San Francisco 49ers linebacker) Fred Warner. ... He's just got phenomenal cover-ability - his ability to be an athlete, move in space, match up, range sideline to sideline. ... There's no hesitation to his game whatsoever. And when you're in a division with Lamar Jackson and company, you better be able to play sideline to sideline and make plays. That's what Logan Wilson does. I love this pick for the Cincinnati Bengals."

Do I trust Matt House? No, not especially. Not yet. He's never been anywhere to show a continuous trend of development of players at the position. I think he's always gone to situations where he inherited some talent. You look at his one year he got to spend in Carolina with Thomas Davis and Landon Johnson. He went to be a piece at the beginning of James Laurinaitis' career in St. Louis, the best LB perhaps to ever play at Ohio State. Then he bounced around in the college game with a year or two here and there. His 3 years in Kentucky, he had Josh Allen, which helps a ton. Did he develop Allen? Hard to say because he stepped in Allen's Sophomore year. He certainly put Allen in a position to succeed along with Mike Edwards. In any event, I'll give House credit when I see the development of LBs here in KC. He has a GOLDEN opportunity with Gay and O'Daniel to do that. I didn't see much change or improvement in Hitchens last year, so pardon me if I come off a bit jaded when it comes to House's abilities so far.

Overall, I'm as intrigued as I am worried about the pick. The potential with Gay is obviously higher but the floor is also incredibly lower. I'd have went the "safer" avenue, and that safer avenue is pretty highly touted.
[Reply]
The Franchise 04:54 PM 05-20-2020
I'll repeat that absolutely nobody had Gay anywhere near Wilson before the Combine. I said this the first and second time. Some boards he wasn't on, most he was in the 5th to 7th range. He shot up boards because of the combine. Combine warriors are dangerous and you know that.
What team’s boards and link your sources.
[Reply]
staylor26 05:03 PM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Exactly. To be fair, I’m pretty sure that crow is talking about guys in the media, but that’s irrelevant.

Teams have a good idea what guys that are going to go to the combine will test like. Just because he wasn’t really on everybody in the media’s radar before the combine, doesn’t mean that teams weren’t already high on him.

I mean it’s not like you can’t see the athleticism and upside on tape.
[Reply]
staylor26 05:10 PM 05-20-2020
Also, this team is usually going to gamble on the HR as opposed to the safe pick. It’s our identity as a front office.

And I don’t see how anybody care argue with that approach given how well it’s worked out for them.
[Reply]
RunKC 06:43 PM 05-20-2020
I would have been happy with Wilson or Gay. It just so happened that Gay was the most athletic/measured LB at the combine not named Isaiah Simmons and he made big plays in the best conference in college football.

It was easy to see why they liked him so much, and as everyone has been saying...we needed speed badly at LB. The Super Bowl really exposed that glaring weakness.
[Reply]
kccrow 08:04 PM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Douchebag response as expected knowing original boards were altered 97 times in the process. I'll appease your douchebagedness (yes that's a new CP word now), however and this is at the END of the process.

But here's one that still had Gay below Wilson...
http://www.thehuddlereport.com/valueboard.shtml

Another with Gay as the 11th ranked OLB and slightly lower round range
http://www.draftscout.com/players.ph...XPos&order=ASC
than Wilson as 3rd ranked ILB
http://www.draftscout.com/players.ph...XPos&order=ASC

Or NFL.com with a 6.33 rating on Wilson and a 6.13 on Gay
https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/pr...=ALL&year=2020
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up