ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2198 of 3903
« First < 1198169820982148218821942195219621972198 219922002201220222082248229826983198 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dirk digler 06:53 PM 05-23-2020
I was curious how it would look at the Lake of the Ozarks and I am not surprised. We had a shit ton of traffic come through here yesterday and today.

[Reply]
dirk digler 06:57 PM 05-23-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
Just came on the news that a 2cnd stylist at that location has tested positive.

If you hear anything more keep updating us. I think this will be a good experiment to see how well it spreads with masks on. Hopefully the city shuts them down for a very long time.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 07:08 PM 05-23-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I was curious how it would look at the Lake of the Ozarks and I am not surprised. We had a shit ton of traffic come through here yesterday and today.

Has the state removed the limits on people in gatherings and distancing?
I don't think that they have. If they have not then the management of this place and others that are allowing this type of "behavior" should be held accountable for allowing this to continue.
[Reply]
Monticore 07:12 PM 05-23-2020
If you hear anything more keep updating us. I think this will be a good experiment to see how well it spreads with masks on. Hopefully the city shuts them down for a very long time.
North Bay stores were packed with families today nobody wearing masks other than me i saw one other person wearing one .
[Reply]
dirk digler 07:13 PM 05-23-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Has the state removed the limits on people in gatherings and distancing?
I don't think that they have. If they have not then the management of this place and others that are allowing this type of "behavior" should be held accountable for allowing this to continue.
Nope we are still in Phase 1. They should have continued the lock down until after this weekend because people are stupid.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:17 PM 05-23-2020
Are most of you at least figuring out you are in the minority on this shit?
[Reply]
cdcox 07:30 PM 05-23-2020
Cowboys and cowgirls like the hair dresser and the Lake of the Ozarks crowd are going to end up shutting down the economy.

To keep things open, everyone needs to be doing these:

1. Wash hands (20 seconds, about 10x per day)
2. Social distance when ever possible
3. Check your symptoms every day. If you have any new cold/flu symptom, stay home*
4. Wear a mask in public places (primarily to protect other people from you)

There are 100K people walking around in the US right now who are spreading to others and don't know they are sick. Until everyone starts acting like they might be the sick one, we are risking reentering exponential growth. If a geographic area is in exponential growth, it will get shut down sooner or later.

My university is making serious plans to reopen in August under the guidelines listed above (with a lot more detail). However, I know that a certain fraction of students will be doing the Lake of the Ozarks thing when they aren't in class. That will bring the whole thing down.

* Ideally anyone who has even a single cold/flu symptom could get tested and quickly find out the results, and go about their business if they were negative. Without testing capacity I understand the temptation to say, "it's just allergies".
[Reply]
BWillie 07:38 PM 05-23-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
Cowboys and cowgirls like the hair dresser and the Lake of the Ozarks crowd are going to end up shutting down the economy.

To keep things open, everyone needs to be doing these:

1. Wash hands (20 seconds, about 10x per day)
2. Social distance when ever possible
3. Check your symptoms every day. If you have any new cold/flu symptom, stay home*
4. Wear a mask in public places (primarily to protect other people from you)

There are 100K people walking around in the US right now who are spreading to others and don't know they are sick. Until everyone starts acting like they might be the sick one, we are risking reentering exponential growth. If a geographic area is in exponential growth, it will get shut down sooner or later.

My university is making serious plans to reopen in August under the guidelines listed above (with a lot more detail). However, I know that a certain fraction of students will be doing the Lake of the Ozarks thing when they aren't in class. That will bring the whole thing down.

* Ideally anyone who has even a single cold/flu symptom could get tested and quickly find out the results, and go about their business if they were negative. Without testing capacity I understand the temptation to say, "it's just allergies".
Being outside at a pool party or lake when it's humid out is not an ideal environment for the virus to spread. It will spread, but at a much lower rate. I bet in a dry, cold day in January at a high school gymnasium for a bball game might be up to 10 times worse.
[Reply]
Monticore 07:45 PM 05-23-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Are most of you at least figuring out you are in the minority on this shit?
I think most people here knew if you leave it to the average person the make the right decision it would end badly that is why the government had to force them and when you give people an inch they will take a mile and be the first ones to complain when they shut things down again.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 07:47 PM 05-23-2020

Not surprised that the kind of people that frequent the lake would also be the kind of people that don’t give a shit about public health.

Shithole lake and shittier people that visit it. White Trash Mecca.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:52 PM 05-23-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
I think most people here knew if you leave it to the average person the make the right decision it would end badly that is why the government had to force them and when you give people an inch they will take a mile and be the first ones to complain when they shut things down again.

Nothing is getting shut down again.

Part of governing and the decision making needs to be based on what people will do, not what you want them to do. If there is a lesson to take away from this it's that.

You can scream at the sky all day long but it's pretty obvious most are doing things as they always have. Make decisions on that.
[Reply]
cdcox 07:55 PM 05-23-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Being outside at a pool party or lake when it's humid out is not an ideal environment for the virus to spread. It will spread, but at a much lower rate. I bet in a dry, cold day in January at a high school gymnasium for a bball game might be up to 10 times worse.
Everything you said could be true and it is still irresponsible behavior that endangers the economy, if that is something you really care about.
[Reply]
cdcox 07:56 PM 05-23-2020

Part of governing and 5he decision making needs to be based on what people will do, not what you want them to do. If there is a lesson to take away from it's that.
I'll bump this sooner or later. There will be additional shutdowns based on current behavior.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:57 PM 05-23-2020

Part of governing and decision making needs to be based 9n what people will do, not what you want them to do. If there is a lesson to take away from it's that.
Even if we only avg 700 deaths a day until 2021, thats 140k or so plus the 100k+ we already have. Is 240k deaths an acceptable result? Depends on ones opinion.
[Reply]
Bugeater 07:57 PM 05-23-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Hospital officials have reported several people were infected with Covid-19 at a "high school swim party" in north Arkansas, Gov. Asa Hutchinson said at a briefing Saturday.

"I'm sure everybody thought was harmless. They're young, they're swimming, they're just having activity and positive cases resulted from that," Hutchinson said. "

"During this Memorial (Day) weekend, we want to be out and we want to enjoy ourselves, we want to remember this holiday and those that have served our country and given their lives in service of our country. But let's be safe and let's be disciplined at the same time," Hutchinson said.

The governor declined to provide further details on the swim party, saying "it is an important anecdote for people to understand how easy that this can spread and that we still need to be careful."

As CNN has reported, the Arkansas governor never issued a stay-at-home order to his citizens as a way to limit the spread of coronavirus nationwide.
Link to story?
[Reply]
Page 2198 of 3903
« First < 1198169820982148218821942195219621972198 219922002201220222082248229826983198 > Last »
Up