ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 20
« First < 61213141516 17181920 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Home brew
Dartgod 10:46 AM 01-16-2005
I know there are some other home brewers on here; Bwana and TJ for starters.

I'm brewing my first batch ever today. It's a German wheat. Looking forward to tasting this bad boy in about a month! :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
ChiefGator 02:34 PM 05-16-2017
Damn.. I would like to be in.. Getting awfully tired of no backyard in the condo I am renting... still not committed to buying in this city, although I did just start looking at 10 acres of backyard and how much that costs outside Jacksonville.
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:39 PM 05-16-2017
Ok, seems like we've got a few people interested in a CP homebrew collaboration.

Here's what I was thinking and have seen done on other beer forums, and please feel free to chime in with alternative or better ideas:

- Start an official signup thread. Whoever is interested posts their name and a couple styles they like or think would work for all experience levels.

- Once we know who's interested, we can create a poll or come to a consensus on the style.

- From there we can vote/come to a consensus on the ingredients, yeast, and brewing/fermentation process. We should be able to convert the recipe for all/partial grain and extract brewers.

- Ideally, everyone would brew the recipe on their own and post photos, thoughts, tasting notes, recommendations, whatever.

- Profit.

My threads typically have the same probability for success as a child sired by Travis Henry, but I don't mind organizing it unless someone with more homebrewing experience and/or CP clout wants to do it.

What do y'all think?
[Reply]
Marcellus 05:38 PM 05-16-2017
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Ok, seems like we've got a few people interested in a CP homebrew collaboration.

Here's what I was thinking and have seen done on other beer forums, and please feel free to chime in with alternative or better ideas:

- Start an official signup thread. Whoever is interested posts their name and a couple styles they like or think would work for all experience levels.

- Once we know who's interested, we can create a poll or come to a consensus on the style.

- From there we can vote/come to a consensus on the ingredients, yeast, and brewing/fermentation process. We should be able to convert the recipe for all/partial grain and extract brewers.

- Ideally, everyone would brew the recipe on their own and post photos, thoughts, tasting notes, recommendations, whatever.

- Profit.

My threads typically have the same probability for success as a child sired by Travis Henry, but I don't mind organizing it unless someone with more home brewing experience and/or CP clout wants to do it.

What do y'all think?
Im in and could offer some help for the noobs.

Suggestion would be to make a simple beer, maybe a pale ale or a Saison.

This time of year with warmer temps Saison is easy to ferment, a yeast like Wyeast 3274 can make a good Saison at 75-80 degrees in fermentation. I have temp control for fermentation but I know many do not.
[Reply]
KCUnited 05:59 PM 05-16-2017
Originally Posted by Marcellus:

This time of year with warmer temps Saison is easy to ferment, a yeast like Wyeast 3274 can make a good Saison at 75-80 degrees in fermentation. I have temp control for fermentation but I know many do not.
Cool. Hopefully this can be something for everyone. An excuse for experienced brewers to do something different, or motivation to dust off (and sanitize) some equipment and fire a burner for others, or a learning experience for beginners.

I agree with you and was thinking session IPA or pale, but you bring up a good point on the wide fermentation temp range for saisons, plus their simplicity of ingredients and drinkability.

We can leave it here for a day or so for any more feedback and then get an official signup of who's interested and go from there.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 07:20 PM 05-16-2017
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Word. I brew 3 to 3.5 gallon batches. I use the BeerSmith software Marcellus linked which can convert to extract, so we should be able to provide an all grain/extract recipe.

If a few more people are interested we/I/someone can create a separate thread. With my small capacity, I struggle to brew bigger beers, but something crushable might be better for a CP beer on Sunday's. We can cross that bridge later though.

Speak up if you're interested.
Hell yah. Im in gor sure. Ill take some pics too. Ill probably just do a 5 gallon batch in my 7 gallon primary. I would mildly prefer IPA but ill go with the majority!
[Reply]
unlurking 07:27 PM 05-16-2017
I'd love to try the group recipe. Remote participant from Denver. All grain, 3 gallon batch setup.

I'm totally up for an IPA as well. Was planning on trying the Avery Maharaja recipe this summer.
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 07:42 PM 05-16-2017
I think it'd be cool if we could all do a batch within the same couple of days. Almost like a fantasy football draft online. Getting everyone to join in and post their updates in the same thread. Then we could all be on the same cycle and decide upon the exact recipe, boil time, fermentation time, ect.

Then all be able to drink the same beer within a day or two of each other after 6 weeks or whatever time frame. Just have an entire thread dedicated to our homebrew updates and help others who seemed to run into problems. Post pics or videos.

My first batch is looking great so far. The airlock is going crazy already. But I have the temp hovering around 68 degrees. I'd really be excited if my first batch goes smoothly.

I felt like the brew night was a success and didn't run into any issues.

Blurry pic but this is after 22 hours.
Attached: 20170516_175055.jpg (40.6 KB) 
[Reply]
unlurking 08:04 PM 05-16-2017
If anyone wants a free option to beersmith, I use brewtoad.

https://www.brewtoad.com/

Someone can publish the recipe, anyone with a free account can then enter a brew log that automatically adjust the recipe for their system.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 08:06 PM 05-16-2017
Interested in doing a concurrent brew with everyone. I have a 5 gallon setup but would probably do a half batch because of space/bottling restrictions for me.
[Reply]
SAUTO 08:30 PM 05-16-2017
This is fucking awesome, I'm rooting for you guys too pull this off.
Have fun!
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 11:47 PM 05-16-2017

What do you use for temp control? I'd be up for anything but a lager. I'm not about to chill anything to 55 degrees in the summer. Saison makes a great beer though. 76 degrees would be easy to pull off with the summer around the corner.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 05:16 AM 05-17-2017

I've got a Wyeast 3274 Saison fermenting right now!

This is the second go at this recipe, the first time I wasn't aware of 3274's tendency to stall. Now I have some heating wraps on a controller. I'm 4 days in, I had it at about 80 for a couple days and now have it at 86

Any advice on temps and time?
[Reply]
Marcellus 06:17 AM 05-17-2017
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
I've got a Wyeast 3274 Saison fermenting right now!

This is the second go at this recipe, the first time I wasn't aware of 3274's tendency to stall. Now I have some heating wraps on a controller. I'm 4 days in, I had it at about 80 for a couple days and now have it at 86

Any advice on temps and time?
Sometimes it will stall at 1.03 or so. If you keep it at 80 or above for a few weeks it will finish out. I have never had it stall at 80F only when I started it at 72. I get the best results going around 72 for a week or so then turning it up to 80 for another 2 weeks. I just kegged a saison on Sunday using that temp range and time. I think I have use 3274 5 or 6 times now.

You may want to give the fermenter a little shake to rouse the yeast just a bit. I have never gone above 80 using that yeast, curious to see how the 96 effects it.

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic:
What do you use for temp control? I'd be up for anything but a lager. I'm not about to chill anything to 55 degrees in the summer. Saison makes a great beer though. 76 degrees would be easy to pull off with the summer around the corner.

I have a carboy heater that I put on the carboy then I put it in a chest freezer I have with temp control.

My temp controller has a plug for heat and cool so between the carboy heater and the freezer they kick on and off to maintain temp. I have the temp probe taped to the carboy to monitor its temperature not the temp of the freezer. I can keep temp within a few degrees of set point all the time using this method.

In the summer I dont need the heater just the cooling unless I am making a saison or something I want to maintain 80 degrees or so.
[Reply]
unlurking 06:52 AM 05-17-2017
Heh. How about something that is a little more forgiving? I have a stable 67° environment during the summer.
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:20 AM 05-17-2017
I guess we could start informal poll to see what style but IPA appears to be a favorite.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 20
« First < 61213141516 17181920 >
Up