ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2917 of 3903
« First < 1917241728172867290729132914291529162917 29182919292029212927296730173417 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Pants 10:17 AM 08-27-2020
Anecdotal but true:

My mom was exposed
Did not have symptoms
Got tested 6 days after exposure
Was positive

To Marcellus' point, she was told by the urgent care that she was wasting resources by getting a test without showing any symptoms.

I think anyone who gets exposed needs to be tested until we know that asymptomatic people are not contagious.
[Reply]
O.city 10:21 AM 08-27-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Anecdotal but true:

My mom was exposed
Did not have symptoms
Got tested 6 days after exposure
Was positive

To Marcellus' point, she was told by the urgent care that she was wasting resources by getting a test without showing any symptoms.

I think anyone who gets exposed needs to be tested until we know that asymptomatic people are not contagious.
With turnaround times and such, I get what he's saying. It makes sense. If you can have for instance these new tests that are much more instant, go for it.

The problem like we've talked about, with PCR is it really doesn't give insight into if you are infectious or even have a current infection. Just taht you have viral genetic material.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:57 AM 08-27-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Why wouldn't you be able to? You get in your car and go get a test while sitting in your vehicle.
I'd rather go get screened for cancer than get a test for Covid if I had no symptoms.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 11:39 AM 08-27-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
With turnaround times and such, I get what he's saying. It makes sense. If you can have for instance these new tests that are much more instant, go for it.

The problem like we've talked about, with PCR is it really doesn't give insight into if you are infectious or even have a current infection. Just taht you have viral genetic material.
The media is equating positive PCR tests with Corona "infections". Most people don't understand that they aren't testing for actual active infections.
[Reply]
TLO 12:21 PM 08-27-2020
We're having a bit of a boom in cases around here. Of course nobody wants to tell us where they're coming from.

Having 3 universities in our area is probably a pretty good bet though.
[Reply]
Marcellus 12:52 PM 08-27-2020
If you don't test, you're potentially quarantining people who don't need to be though.

If you automatically quarantine anyone who's had known contact for 14 days, you would likely end up doing it to alot where it's not necessary.
You have to wait 10 days from exposure to test because of incubation time, or become symptomatic to know if the test is going to be accurate, that is already a 10 day quarantine. You then wait 2 days for results usually which makes it 12 days of a 14 day quarantine already.

Any test you do before the 10 day incubation time means nothing if its negative. If you are asymptomatic they will likely not test you for this reason.

On top of that it will tell you nothing about asymptomatic spread because the person will be quarantined the whole time and not out and about spreading anything regardless of whether they were positive or not.

We realized some time back that we could get employees back to work faster if they were symptomatic and tested positive than we could if they were a close contact because of their spouse for example.

That scenario totally sucks because you have to wait for the spouse to become asymptomatic for 5 days then you have to go 14 days after that if the person continues to be asymptomatic before they are released from quarantine.

We have had a few people miss close to a month because of these scenarios even though they were quarantined the whole time.
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:06 PM 08-27-2020
One last comment on this for the day and then I am done.

I think O.city and others are trying to compare the merits of doing large scale study of asymptomatic spread which would mean doing extensive contact tracing on people tested positive who never had symptoms to see if any of the people they came into contact with tested positive vs the most efficient way to handle cases and keep moving through this thing.

Its really 2 different topics and the CDC guidelines are more about the second scenario.

:-)
[Reply]
dirk digler 01:26 PM 08-27-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
You have to wait 10 days from exposure to test because of incubation time, or become symptomatic to know if the test is going to be accurate, that is already a 10 day quarantine. You then wait 2 days for results usually which makes it 12 days of a 14 day quarantine already.

Any test you do before the 10 day incubation time means nothing if its negative. If you are asymptomatic they will likely not test you for this reason.

On top of that it will tell you nothing about asymptomatic spread because the person will be quarantined the whole time and not out and about spreading anything regardless of whether they were positive or not.

We realized some time back that we could get employees back to work faster if they were symptomatic and tested positive than we could if they were a close contact because of their spouse for example.

That scenario totally sucks because you have to wait for the spouse to become asymptomatic for 5 days then you have to go 14 days after that if the person continues to be asymptomatic before they are released from quarantine.

We have had a few people miss close to a month because of these scenarios even though they were quarantined the whole time.
You don't have wait 10 days I think it is more like 5 days but I get your overall point. Though if the health department contacts you more than likely already half way through that time frame or longer due to testing lags and contract tracing.

That is why we need a testing breakthrough like home testing.
[Reply]
O.city 02:04 PM 08-27-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:

Yeah, the 14 day incubation period makes it tough because testing just gives you a snapshot of that person at that time, they could develop infection later etc.

If you're gonna tell people to go ahead and quarantine anyway, testing is not really necessary so that much is for sure correct.
[Reply]
O.city 02:05 PM 08-27-2020
At this point too, I think contact tracing doesn't really mean much. Once you get community spread like we have, you can't trace it out.

Doing it that way though is about confidence of the general population. If they have confidence they can go out and spend money etc.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 02:06 PM 08-27-2020
Yeah, the 14 day incubation period makes it tough because testing just gives you a snapshot of that person at that time, they could develop infection later etc.

If you're gonna tell people to go ahead and quarantine anyway, testing is not really necessary so that much is for sure correct.
If the median incubation period is nine days, doesn't this imply that the graph of each case's incubation period looks like steep dip of a roller coaster, where ~30-40% of cases have a 2 or 3 day incubation period while an equal amount is at the 13-14 day mark with the remaining 20-40% in the gulley between those two points?
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:08 PM 08-27-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
You don't have wait 10 days I think it is more like 5 days but I get your overall point. Though if the health department contacts you more than likely already half way through that time frame or longer due to testing lags and contract tracing.

That is why we need a testing breakthrough like home testing.
I guess I'll add one more post.

This is an actual scenario that happened as best I can remember, it was back in early June I think.

Employee's spouse is identified as a close contact so they and their wife and child end up in quarantine.

10 days into quarantine wife develops symptoms, husband is still asymptomatic. Wife tests positive.

Husband has to wait until wife is symptom free for 5 days and then restart 14 day quarantine required by health department. Sometime during that quarantine the kid gets a fever and tests positive. :-)

I cant remember how many days after that we were able to get the employee a test at Occumed even though he was asymptomatic (we are an essential business so we were able to get it done by request) but he tested negative and was never symptomatic. Don't know if he had already had it or was just immune but he was off a long time and we were trying to figure out how to get through it as fast as possible as was he since his quarantine pay had run out weeks prior. (we pay 2 weeks automatically if its an exposure from outside work, no limit if its at work)
[Reply]
O.city 02:15 PM 08-27-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
If the median incubation period is nine days, doesn't this imply that the graph of each case's incubation period looks like steep dip of a roller coaster, where ~30-40% of cases have a 2 or 3 day incubation period while an equal amount is at the 13-14 day mark with the remaining 20-40% in the gulley between those two points?
Median time I had seen to symptom onset was 5 days.

I haven't seen really any that stretch out to that 14 day mark or anything close. Last I talked to the infectious disease guy here that I know a little, he said they're thinking once you hit that 10 day mark with no symptoms you're ok, but can't confirm.
[Reply]
TLO 04:20 PM 08-27-2020
The majority of our city council members have the combined IQ of JakeE after someone hit him in the head with a coconut 8 times.
[Reply]
dlphg9 04:43 PM 08-27-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
The majority of our city council members have the combined IQ of JakeE after someone hit him in the head with a coconut 8 times.
Lmao. JakeF is incredibly dumb. I would bet he ate lead paint chips for breakfast lunch and dinner when he was a kid.
[Reply]
Page 2917 of 3903
« First < 1917241728172867290729132914291529162917 29182919292029212927296730173417 > Last »
Up