ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2904 of 3903
« First < 1904240428042854289429002901290229032904 29052906290729082914295430043404 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 11:51 AM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
The bolded part. Much of the doom and gloom can be justified, but some of it is way over the top, IMO.
So you arent a member of Stanley Dales Corona Virus page? :-)
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 11:55 AM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Actually, some people were. Nationally, ~40% of deaths have come from nursing homes. The unfortunate reality is that no-elderly people staff nursing homes. Even with efforts to keep those staff from introducing the virus into homes, they have.
I don't know any major names in public health that said to do nothing. This is a strawman argument for your lockdowns.

Prof Woolhouse OBE, a member of the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Behaviours that advises the Government, said: “Lockdown was a panic measure and I believe history will say trying to control Covid-19 through lockdown was a monumental mistake on a global scale, the cure was worse than the disease.

“I never want to see national lockdown again. It was always a temporary measure that simply delayed the stage of the epidemic we see now. It was never going to change anything fundamentally, however low we drove down the number of cases, and now we know more about the virus and how to track it we should not be in this position again.

“We absolutely should never return to a position where children cannot play or go to school.

“I believe the harm lockdown is doing to our education, health care access, and broader aspects of our economy and society will turn out to be at least as great as the harm done by Covid-19.”

He said that Sage, the government’s advisory board on dealing with Covid, needed to have members from a wider range of fields.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...-Boris-Johnson
[Reply]
Donger 12:00 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
I don't know any major names in public health that said to do nothing. This is a strawman argument for your lockdowns.
I was actually referring to posters here. I didn't make that clear.
[Reply]
Marcellus 12:13 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Alabama has been back to school for a week or two. They screened everyone at the beginning and caught 330 cases. A week later they have 550 from teachers and staff.
Everything I can find states in person classes started August 19th. 6 days ago.
[Reply]
TLO 12:14 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
So you arent a member of Stanley Dales Corona Virus page? :-)
Nope, but I just found it now I have to check it out.
[Reply]
Donger 12:15 PM 08-25-2020
Genetic data show how a single superspreading event sent coronavirus across Massachusetts - and the nation

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...g-15512903.php
[Reply]
TLO 12:46 PM 08-25-2020
Nope, but I just found it now I have to check it out.
....... annnnnd I left the group.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 12:56 PM 08-25-2020
....... annnnnd I left the group.
:-). They live to find the bad. It's like a group of Meccas.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:57 PM 08-25-2020
One in four people aged 18 to 24 seriously contemplated suicide in June, according to new research from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The data are the latest in a series of reports highlighting increases in anxiety, depression and suicidal ideation since the COVID-19 pandemic began.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...id-19-pandemic
I just talked to one of my young adults I counsel yesterday and she said she's had two friends commit suicide in the last 2 weeks, both saying they were suffering from a feeling like they were going to be trapped inside forever.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:00 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
That age group is already more anxious and depressed than anything really ever seen (thanks social media). So this number isn’t all that surprising.
It isn't due to social media at all. Social media is a symptom. The real disease goes much deeper but it's not something that can be discussed here.

You're spot on about the numbers though - a majority of the young people I work with feel worthless. They may manifest that in depression but some of them also manifest a sort of hedonism that if they're worthless, so is everybody else, so it doesn't matter if I hurt them to get what I want.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:00 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I just talked to one of my young adults I counsel yesterday and she said she's had two friends commit suicide in the last 2 weeks, both saying they were suffering from a feeling like they were going to be trapped inside forever.
Selfish.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:01 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
JFC how would people handle something that's actually dangerous to a majority of the population?
We would be in civil war right now.

We are not a country at the moment that believes anything coming out of official mouthpieces or wants to make any shared sacrifices.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:05 PM 08-25-2020
That was never the alternative. There was no one arguing to do nothing.

John Ioannidis stated that based on the numbers coming out of China and Italy we would need to focus on the elderly and those in nursing homes, especially those with multiple pre-existing conditions. A targeted response based on the data.

Instead, we locked down the young and healthy, closed schools, and in states such as NY sent Covid patients directly into the nursing homes.
California floated a policy of 65+ and at risk people stay isolated while everything else stayed open. It lasted 2 days iirc. The 65+ people were not happy about it. And they vote, a lot.
[Reply]
Donger 01:07 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Selfish.
Why is that selfish?
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:08 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Why is that selfish?
Because they're young Gen Z'ers and by default weak, pampered, and narcissistic. Come on Donger, get with the program. :-)
[Reply]
Page 2904 of 3903
« First < 1904240428042854289429002901290229032904 29052906290729082914295430043404 > Last »
Up