ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 23
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Media Center>Syfy: The Expanse
keg in kc 03:30 PM 04-14-2014
I'm really excited about this - it's a fantastic set of books that I think could translate into really good TV.

Originally Posted by :
Syfy orders 'The Expanse' series based on 'Leviathan Wakes' (think 'Game of Thrones' in space)

By James Hibberd on Apr 11, 2014 at 6:30PM

Syfy has given a direct-to-series order to an exciting-sounding new project based on an acclaimed sci-fi book series. The cable network has ordered 10 episodes of The Expanse, from Academy Award-nominated screenwriting duo Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby (Children of Men, Iron Man) and Alcon Television Group. The project has been described by industry insiders as “Game of Thrones in space” — not so much because of the specifics of the plot, but because it tells a dramatic sprawling grown-up story within a popular fantasy genre that’s based on a respected series of novels.

The logline: “A thriller set two hundred years in the future, The Expanse follows the case of a missing young woman who brings a hardened detective and a rogue ship’s captain together in a race across the solar system to expose the greatest conspiracy in human history.”

The Expanse is based on a series of books by James S.A. Corey. The most well-known title is probably the first in the series, Leviathan Wakes, which has been praised for reinventing and updating the old-school Star Wars/Firefly-style space opera. Syfy won a bidding war with another content producer to acquire the project.

Syfy president Dave Howe promised, “The Expanse is epic in scale and scope and promises to be Syfy’s most ambitious series to date. Bringing this coveted book franchise to television with our partners at Alcon and the Sean Daniel Company is a giant win for Syfy, reinforcing our overall strategy to produce bold, provocative and compelling sci-fi fantasy stories. The Expanse joins a killer line-up of high-concept, high quality series, along with recently announced original projects Ascension, 12 Monkeys, the renewal of Helix, and the soon to premiere Dominion.”

Sean Daniel and Jason Brown of the Sean Daniel Company developed the original pitch, with Fergus and Ostby, and will also executive produce. “The Expanse is one of the most special pieces of material we’ve ever encountered and it has been our dream to bring it to life since the moment we read it,” Daniel and Brown said in a statement. “We couldn’t be more excited to be doing it with this team of all-stars.”

Added Alcon president Sharon Hall: “The Expanse is an addictive, sophisticated, character-driven franchise and Mark and Hawk are the perfect people to steer it. Their script is a totally immersive and accessible sci-fi journey.”
(Just FYI, the author of Leviathan Wakes, James S.A. Corey, is actually a collaberative pseudonym of authors Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck. I guess EW didn't know this...)
[Reply]
keg in kc 11:15 AM 12-16-2015
So I just finished episode 4 (3 and 4 are on demand right now) and it's getting better with each new episode. 4 was really good.
[Reply]
Red Brooklyn 10:42 AM 12-18-2015
I really didn't like the first episode but I'm willing to give it another shot. I'll stick around to episode 5. If I still dislike it as much as I do now, I'm out. Hopefully, it improves.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 10:59 AM 12-18-2015
I need to start watching this this weekend.
[Reply]
unlurking 11:28 AM 12-19-2015
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
So I just finished episode 4 (3 and 4 are on demand right now) and it's getting better with each new episode. 4 was really good.
Agreed. Just finished 4. Starting to pick up. Loved the "head shot" scene.
[Reply]
keg in kc 12:54 PM 12-19-2015
The book series really hooked me the first time I read that scene, so I was happy to see it executed so well on tv.

Much like with the books, however, I start to lose interest as soon as avasarala shows up. But the stuff with Holden and Miller is so good I guess I don't care all that much.

Although I did like the scene with the rugrat on the roof and how it foreshadowed events from the latest book.
[Reply]
NewChief 08:31 AM 12-21-2015
I'm really liking this so far. Binged the first 4 episodes yesterday.

I do find the Belters slanguage to be annoying. It may be the sound mixing which someone else complained about, but the accents make it hard for me to tell sometimes whether they're speaking English or not. I'll think they're speaking the slanguage stuff, then I'll pick out some English. I don't know... it just makes me wish for subtitles on the slanguage stuff. I understand doing the whole Clockwork Orange, try to understand the language and pick up on it over time but it's offfputting to me.

Other than that, I like it. I was hoping the Martian that was with them on the escape survives because I think his interaction with that crew would make for interesting dynamic in that already interesting crew. It seemed to imply that he died, though, when he said that he had hoped to see an ocean on Mars someday then went silent.
[Reply]
beach tribe 03:09 PM 12-24-2015
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Childhood's End looks intriguing too. I enjoyed the last mini-series, Ascension. Really pretty pleased with the direction SyFy is moving with their original content. Although I still would rather they change their name back to SciFi!

Wow.

Watched all of this a few days ago.
Shit had me trippin'.

Thought it was bout the alien demon agenda. Still wish it would have been. That would make an awesome story. This was bad ass too, though.
[Reply]
Valiant 05:26 PM 12-24-2015
Originally Posted by beach tribe:
Wow.

Watched all of this a few days ago.
Shit had me trippin'.

Thought it was bout the alien demon agenda. Still wish it would have been. That would make an awesome story. This was bad ass too, though.
Very unusual ending. God is a dick in that movie..
[Reply]
beach tribe 03:59 AM 12-25-2015
Originally Posted by Valiant:
Makes no Fn sense to me at all.

I like to think that they were all fooled. Makes it better.

As in that wasn't God. Those aliens were working for Lucifer and had no idea. The little girl was the Antichrist. Actually makes more sense that way.
[Reply]
keg in kc 01:07 PM 12-31-2015
Just picked up for a second season!

I recently reread Leviathan Wakes and I had forgotten just how much awesome, crazy stuff is going to happen.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 04:38 PM 12-31-2015
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Just picked up for a second season!

I recently reread Leviathan Wakes and I had forgotten just how much awesome, crazy stuff is going to happen.
Cool. Read the first book recently and thought it was really good. I have the second book on my kindle but have not had time to start.

Been DVRing the show, I need to start watching. Thinking of maybe doing a marathon tomorrow and watching a few episodes.
[Reply]
RealSNR 06:12 AM 01-06-2016
Got caught up and watched the fifth episode last night. Was kind of a sleepy episode, but a lot of important stuff happened.

Even in those moments when the show tends to get bogged down with "character devleopment" type conversations, it's overall a damn beautiful show to look at. The high production values make a huge difference.
[Reply]
keg in kc 01:31 PM 01-06-2016
Not an action book series, so it was never going to be an action tv series. You can see the strings starting to come together though.

The weird part is that we're halfway through the season but about a quarter of a way through the first book, so I'm guessing Leviathan Wakes is going to be played out over seasons 1 and 2, with the end of season one being the beginning of the interesting stuff in the second half of the book. It's going to be interesting seeing people's reactions.

Some of the characters are so far removed from their book counterparts that they're difficult to recognize/reconcile at this point, but that can change over time. Alex Kamal in the book is openly a former MCRN pilot, acknowledged as one of the best, and the crew knows it the whole time. Holden is the XO on the Cant, and is acknowledged by the rest as the leader from the very beginning. Amos is pretty much Amos so far, and I would say it's mostly the same for Naomi. However, I'm not sure how I feel about Fred Johnson. The book handled the details of his history much better than the tv series has (so far). But we'll see. It was really disoriented seeing Havelock get cheered by the rest of the squad last night, because not only is he not attacked in the book (or have a relationship with a belter hooker), he's absolutely distrusted/hated by the rest of the Star Helix people because, although it's an Earth company, everyone working for them (including Miller) is a Belter. So the dynamic in the book is almost completely reversed in the tv show. In the book Miller is basically the only one that has his back, whereas last night on tv Miller was the only one that didn't have his back. But we'll see where it goes.

Not complaining, just laying out the differences...

Enjoying the show a lot so far, and the production value, minus the CW-level cheese shot of the father daughter floating outside of Anderson Station, has been phenomenal.
[Reply]
unlurking 09:33 PM 01-06-2016
Originally Posted by Valiant:
Yes.

Great show. Had not read the book, but it is going in the queue. Ton of twists I wasn't expecting.

Also, the pilot episode of the The Magicians was very well done. Enjoyed it much more than I expected. I still haven't finished the book as it just wasn't my normal cup of tea, but now I'm tempted to pick it back up.

SyFy has really turned the corner into new programming. Really loving their new stuff.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 09:58 PM 01-14-2016
Have watched the first five episodes and have the 6th on the DVR.

Seems fairly close to book as I remember...but I think they made Holden's character weaker in the show...in the book he is the XO from the get go and is the established leader of the group.

Overall though, I am hooked on the show and will keep watching. Need to to read the other books as well.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 23
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up