ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2744 of 3903
« First < 1744224426442694273427402741274227432744 274527462747274827542794284432443744 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
suzzer99 07:44 AM 07-30-2020
It's not innate immunity. It's about people like me, who work from home and pretty much only go to the grocery store, who aren't really part of the potentially infected pool.

They're saying that traditional herd immunity assumes people go about their business. But this is the first pandemic where people are seriously isolating in significant numbers - which is effectively like taking us out of the equation.
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:44 AM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
If there is that much innate immunity, even with opening everything up, the models would have to correct for it and things would be alot different. It's all about chains in transmission and with that much stoppage points, it's not like a brush fire.

At this point, we just don't know for sure.

They also kinda missed on the modeling where people are ping pong balls bouncing all around. For the most part, we have our select groups and areas we go.
So what you are saying is it may only hit 20% because people only interact with so many people in their life not because of built in immunity?

I guess that possible and I think an epidemiologist brought that up way back in March. That being said does it matter that much why it peaks at 20% as long as we know it does?
[Reply]
Donger 07:50 AM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I guess you missed the memo, Donger only deals in "facts". Sure they are only his interpretation of "facts" but that doesn't stop him making the claim repeatedly.
When they are available, yes, of course. Here's an example:

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...&postcount=183

Great. So, we can look at those manly numbers, right?

We have 137,000 dead already with mitigation efforts.

I've given you the herder death estimates, based ~50% infection rate, IFR and R0 = 990,000

You claim that you want fewer deaths.

Which one is lower?

I don't know what faulty assumptions Austin is talking about.
[Reply]
O.city 07:52 AM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
It's not innate immunity. It's about people like me, who work from home and pretty much only go to the grocery store, who aren't really part of the potentially infected pool.

They're saying that traditional herd immunity assumes people go about their business. But this is the first pandemic where people are seriously isolating in significant numbers - which is effectively like taking us out of the equation.
The T cell immunity is gonna be innate where your antibodies are adaptive. We have some forms of memory T cells that are apparently cross reactive but it’s still early on that.

Yes though like your saying some have removed themselves from the equation, but with the majority of this spreading in homes and workplaces I don’t know if that number is significant yet.

And there’s some confusion woth herd immunity. For one it won’t be the same everywhere. New York will be different than podunk missouri towns for different reasons. Also just because it may be 20% of the population you can get massive overshot like we’ve seen in Italy and other hard hit areas. And finally just because you hit it doesn’t mean there won’t be outbreaks. It’s just that the effective population of potential infections is low enough it won’t spread crazy
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:52 AM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
When they are available, yes, of course. Here's an example:

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...&postcount=183

Great. So, we can look at those manly numbers, right?

We have 137,000 dead already with mitigation efforts.

I've given you the herder death estimates, based ~50% infection rate, IFR and R0 = 990,000

You claim that you want fewer deaths.

Which one is lower?
Its not a fact we need 50% infection for herd immunity.
[Reply]
O.city 07:53 AM 07-30-2020
So what you are saying is it may only hit 20% because people only interact with so many people in their life not because of built in immunity?

I guess that possible and I think an epidemiologist brought that up way back in March. That being said does it matter that much why it peaks at 20% as long as we know it does?
I don’t know. There seems to be something woth the 20% number though
[Reply]
O.city 07:54 AM 07-30-2020
The cruise ships and factories early were in hindsight signs that there’s some kind of immunity going on as everyone didn’t get it. That was our first sign
[Reply]
Donger 07:54 AM 07-30-2020
Its not a fact we need 50% infection for herd immunity.
Epidemiologists have actually used higher than that, yes. I was being nice by using the lower number.

Which percentage would you like to use, and I'll re-work the death math.
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:56 AM 07-30-2020
Epidemiologists have actually used higher than that, yes. I was being nice by using the lower number.

Which percentage would you like to use, and I'll re-work the death math.
You cant accurately do that because you don't know what the actual infection rate is right now so you dont know the actual IFR. I'm not going to continue to argue "Donger's qualifiers".

The truth is you are arguing theory and opinion not fact. Period.
[Reply]
Donger 07:58 AM 07-30-2020
You cant accurately do that because you don't know what the actual infection rate is right now so you dont know the actual IFR. I'm not going to continue to argue "Donger's qualifiers".

The truth is you are arguing theory and opinion not fact. Period.
We have CDC's best estimate of .6 IFR, yes. That's a fact.

So, what percentage would you like to use?
[Reply]
O.city 08:17 AM 07-30-2020
I'm gonna guess the IFR ends up around .25.
[Reply]
suzzer99 08:19 AM 07-30-2020
IFR is extremely population dependent. Older and more at-risk people are doing a much better job of isolating now than back in Feb/March. So it stands to reason it would be pretty low now and stay low.
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:38 AM 07-30-2020
We have CDC's best estimate of .6 IFR, yes. That's a fact.

So, what percentage would you like to use?
A best estimate is now a fact? :-) you are a clown. I'm done, you just proved my point.
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:39 AM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
IFR is extremely population dependent. Older and more at-risk people are doing a much better job of isolating now than back in Feb/March. So it stands to reason it would be pretty low now and stay low.
Its also very steadily dropping no matter how you look at it. Death are in no way staying aligned with new case numbers by %. And that is just the positives we KNOW about.
[Reply]
Donger 08:40 AM 07-30-2020
A best estimate is now a fact? :-) you are a clown. I'm done, you just proved my point.
I understand that you don't understand what facts are (as bizarre as that is), but yes, it's a fact that the CDC best estimate IFR is .65% And I'll prove it:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...scenarios.html
[Reply]
Page 2744 of 3903
« First < 1744224426442694273427402741274227432744 274527462747274827542794284432443744 > Last »
Up