ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2738 of 3903
« First < 1738223826382688272827342735273627372738 273927402741274227482788283832383738 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dirk digler 11:43 AM 07-29-2020
Let's look at a country\demographic similar to ours which would be the UK. They peaked on April 10th and it wasn't until the first of July before they got under 1k cases. They are still averaging over 100 deaths a day but to get to suppression you would need less than 10 IIRC.
[Reply]
O.city 12:02 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Let's look at a country\demographic similar to ours which would be the UK. They peaked on April 10th and it wasn't until the first of July before they got under 1k cases. They are still averaging over 100 deaths a day but to get to suppression you would need less than 10 IIRC.
Expecting cases to go down to 0 just isn't gonna happen. It's gonna be here probably for the extent of humans now.

Suppression isn't gonna happen anywhere.
[Reply]
TLO 12:05 PM 07-29-2020
Any big happenings today?
[Reply]
Donger 12:10 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Any big happenings today?
Florida reports 216 deaths so far today.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 12:28 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Whatever Japan is doing isn't working.
Japan has a lot of old people and there's not a ton of space. Not surprising.
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:35 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Expecting cases to go down to 0 just isn't gonna happen. It's gonna be here probably for the extent of humans now.

Suppression isn't gonna happen anywhere.
We won't get it to zero but I think we can suppress it like we have done with the measles. Of course that will largely depend of people taking the vaccine.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:39 PM 07-29-2020
We won't get it to zero but I think we can suppress it like we have done with the measles.
My hope is just that it'll work out to something like:

20% of people have been infected (lots of studies suggesting actual infections are 10x known cases)
40% of people are naturally immune
50% of people get the vaccine

There's a lot of overlap in those groups almost certainly, but if all of those are in the rough ballpark, I think this can get stamped out to a very small number of deaths per year from it.

The big question I have is whether we'll need to get yearly (or more often) vaccines, but that's the stuff that can be figured out if needed. Even if you have to get it quarterly (which I think is very unlikely), that's a problem that we can solve.
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 12:51 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:

20% of people have been infected (lots of studies suggesting actual infections are 10x known cases)

There's a lot of overlap in those groups almost certainly, but if all of those are in the rough ballpark, I think this can get stamped out to a very small number of deaths per year from it.

The big question I have is whether we'll need to get yearly (or more often) vaccines, but that's the stuff that can be figured out if needed. Even if you have to get it quarterly (which I think is very unlikely), that's a problem that we can solve.
I like the way you're thinking.
[Reply]
TLO 12:53 PM 07-29-2020

This all seems reasonable. We just have to hope we get good news on the vaccine front sooner rather than later.

I like that you put the vaccine percentage at about 50%. It may prove to be a bit higher or lower, but I think it's a reasonable benchmark.
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:55 PM 07-29-2020

That works for me :-)
[Reply]
O.city 12:56 PM 07-29-2020
We won't get it to zero but I think we can suppress it like we have done with the measles. Of course that will largely depend of people taking the vaccine.
People have kinda lost their minds in terms of risks and years lost etc. I don't think it'll get to measles levels of suppression. We don't have the stomach to do it for the flu, so essentially if we get it down to that level, we should be ok?
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:21 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
:-)
Eh its not complicated, the places that had success early had low infection rates so they still have limited immunity to it. Not surprising they could have another spike.

As has been pointed out, this bug isn't going away so there are only 2 routes out of this unless it mutates itself out of existence.
[Reply]
Donger 01:24 PM 07-29-2020
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2768916

But a recent study of 100 recovered coronavirus patients reveals 78 of them now have lasting cardiovascular damage even though a vast majority of them had mild cases of COVID-19 in the first place.

The study published Monday in JAMA Cardiology details the results of cardiac MRI exams of 100 recovered coronavirus patients. Twenty-eight of them required oxygen supplementation while fighting the virus, while just two were on ventilators. But 78 of them still had cardiovascular abnormalities after recovery, with 60 of them showing "ongoing myocardial inflammation," the study shows. These conditions appeared to be independent of case severity and pre-existing conditions, though JAMA researchers note these findings need a larger study.
[Reply]
O.city 01:34 PM 07-29-2020
Pretty small study though, no?
[Reply]
TLO 01:40 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2768916

But a recent study of 100 recovered coronavirus patients reveals 78 of them now have lasting cardiovascular damage even though a vast majority of them had mild cases of COVID-19 in the first place.

The study published Monday in JAMA Cardiology details the results of cardiac MRI exams of 100 recovered coronavirus patients. Twenty-eight of them required oxygen supplementation while fighting the virus, while just two were on ventilators. But 78 of them still had cardiovascular abnormalities after recovery, with 60 of them showing "ongoing myocardial inflammation," the study shows. These conditions appeared to be independent of case severity and pre-existing conditions, though JAMA researchers note these findings need a larger study.
I posted that last night. Here's a response from someone who has a lot of knowledge in the area.

So I read the article. First of all it was very few patients. Too small to really tell if it is common or not in the general population. It's just an observation they are making. And all it really says is there was inflammation observed early in the recovery process. I didn't see anything about lasting tissue damage. And it said virus was not present in the cardiac tissue.
[Reply]
Page 2738 of 3903
« First < 1738223826382688272827342735273627372738 273927402741274227482788283832383738 > Last »
Up