ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 32
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>(Welcome to the) NEW Chiefsplanet SERVER!!!!
AustinChief 06:36 PM 11-23-2010
OK, the time has finally come... we have a new server!

I will be spending tonight and all day tomorrow transitioning to the new digs... I don't expect it to affect us until late tomorrow afternoon.

I will make give everybody a warning then take us offline for (hopefully!) 3-4 hours...

When we are done, we will have a new home with 6 TIMES the power and RAM as before... I expect to see some MAJOR upgrades in performance... once we have settled into the new server, I will start to prep us for a major upgrade to our Vbulletin software... but that may wait until the post season...

I know it's been a long time coming, but bear with me for a little longer and it will all be worth it!
[Reply]
DaFace 01:17 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
Here's an idea on how to begin pruning old threads:

1. Lounge Thread: Any 5-10 years old gets deleted EXCEPT the Top 50 or Hall of Classics
Any greater than 10 gets deleted except Top !0

2. DC Threads: greater than 5 years old gets deleted EXCEPT Top 10

3. Pictures Threads: ONLY Top 20 get saved

4. Media Threads: ONLY Top 20 get saved

5. ROMPER ROOM: 10 THREAD LIMIT AND LEAST POPULAR ALWAYS DROPS OFF FOR GOOD

Moving forward, the only way to save a thread for future is if 100 posters approve

Option, instead of deleting have all these threads moved to a seperate server

Also, All inactive posters greater than 3 years get deleted

NO MORE MULTS moving forward
You like to make things complicated.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:18 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
Fuck that...
Have you tried it? It's pretty sweet. Also it's hard to do auto-update with pages.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 01:27 PM 08-14-2019
I haven't been on a lot today but it seems to be running quite a bit better. That said, it's the middle of the week during preseason.

If the server has extra bays sliding a couple SSDs in and copying the data files over would be pretty easy and not a huge amount of money.
[Reply]
Dante84 01:39 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
Here's an idea on how to begin pruning old threads:

1. Lounge Thread: Any 5-10 years old gets deleted EXCEPT the Top 50 or Hall of Classics
Any greater than 10 gets deleted except Top !0

2. DC Threads: greater than 5 years old gets deleted EXCEPT Top 10

3. Pictures Threads: ONLY Top 20 get saved

4. Media Threads: ONLY Top 20 get saved

5. ROMPER ROOM: 10 THREAD LIMIT AND LEAST POPULAR ALWAYS DROPS OFF FOR GOOD

Moving forward, the only way to save a thread for future is if 100 posters approve

Option, instead of deleting have all these threads moved to a seperate server

Also, All inactive posters greater than 3 years get deleted

NO MORE MULTS moving forward

I'd say we leave the lounge as is, but delete all threads with less than 10 posts. It'd get rid of a healthy chunk. Maybe 2 million of the 12 million posts? more? less?

DC isn't even football related... it's a cesspool of evil. Ship it out to elsewhere and let football and entertainment lounges reign. There's 2 million in there. As for pissing people off, I'd be eager to see the results of a poll.

Now we are talking about a forum with 1/3rd of the space cleared out.

Easy to do, somewhat improved efficiency, by only removing the lowest value posts.

We are about to have the greatest Chiefs season in franchise history, and possibly the beginning of a dynasty. Best to get out in front of it and take out the trash now.
[Reply]
luv 01:55 PM 08-14-2019
I say revamp it however is easiest and most cost efficient for AC. If people are that butt hurt over losing a post count, should that happen, then they probably need to take their internet-reliant man card and turn it in for a real one anyway. I like what others have said about taking DC and media out. This is a sports site. If they are that adamant on talking about those certain subjects, there are plenty of other dedicated sites they can frequent. All of this worked whenever there were a handful of people, but that has changed, and the site needs to change with it. Just have to decide whether this is a social catch-all site or a sports site. Maybe make one sub-forum for anything non-Chiefs related, a general sports sub-forum, and maybe a general KC Metro sub-forum for those planning to visit the area. That's all just my opinion, though, which, of course, isn't worth the time it took me to type it. :-)
[Reply]
Fish 03:21 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Have you tried it? It's pretty sweet. Also it's hard to do auto-update with pages.
Yes, I've used some apps and sites with that functionality, and I really hated it. It's less organized and lacks structure.
[Reply]
007 04:49 PM 08-14-2019
Whatever we go with - auto-loading gameday and draft threads w/o having to refresh would be amazing for this forum. Which is also something I like about discourse - it has no pages - just endless scroll.
We already use discourse for chat here. That's all it's good for.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:53 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by 007:
We already use discourse for chat here. That's all it's good for.
Discourse ≠ Dischord
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:00 PM 08-14-2019
Whatever we go with - auto-loading gameday and draft threads w/o having to refresh would be amazing for this forum. Which is also something I like about discourse - it has no pages - just endless scroll.
I’m with Fish on this, endless scroll sounds like a skull fucking nightmare

Originally Posted by Dante84:
Has anyone suggested deleting DC? I would suggest that, if it hasn’t been suggested.
You can have DC when you pry it from our cold, dead hands

The most important issues of our time are discussed in there

Yes it’s often pointless and ugly as sin, but there are also bright spots that I believe enhance our understanding of the world around us
[Reply]
Dante84 05:38 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
I’m with Fish on this, endless scroll sounds like a skull ****ing nightmare

You can have DC when you pry it from our cold, dead hands

The most important issues of our time are discussed in there

Yes it’s often pointless and ugly as sin, but there are also bright spots that I believe enhance our understanding of the world around us
That's fine and well, but it's bogging down the Chiefs football message board and we are about to enter a Dynasty with the greatest quarterback who ever lived.

I'm sure there's plenty of spots on the web to discuss AOC's birth certificate / Epstein ties or Trump's pee tape.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 06:04 PM 08-14-2019
That's fine and well, but it's bogging down the Chiefs football message board and we are about to enter a Dynasty with the greatest quarterback who ever lived.

I'm sure there's plenty of spots on the web to discuss AOC's birth certificate / Epstein ties or Trump's pee tape.
bogging down... I would say the media and picture thread would be causing the same problem.

What would the cost be to upgrade. I'm in for helping out with some cash...
[Reply]
suzzer99 06:05 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
Yes, I've used some apps and sites with that functionality, and I really hated it. It's less organized and lacks structure.
Maybe depending on the app I dunno. But in a forum it's super easy, you don't have to keep clicking new page - just scroll down or up. Also it allows auto-update at the bottom.

If endless scroll works for twitter and FB there's no reason it can't work for forum threads.

I really don't think people would be clamoring for pages if all forum threads were one page endless scroll. You're just used to pages.
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:18 PM 08-14-2019

You’re preaching to the choir, the inevitable weekly game day crashes and delays are why I’ve often asked if it’s time for another fundraiser

But it sounds like 3-4K isn’t gonna be a panacea this time, our old setup is maxed out... and taking away a big chunk of ad revenue as you mentioned earlier just might make things worse

JMO
[Reply]
Dante84 06:41 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
bogging down... I would say the media and picture thread would be causing the same problem.

What would the cost be to upgrade. I'm in for helping out with some cash...
Difference is that DC has 2million posts in it, or 16.5% of the total posts in CP history.

What I’m curious to know, though, is it a traffic issue? A storage issue? Both?
[Reply]
Dante84 06:43 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
You’re preaching to the choir, the inevitable weekly game day crashes and delays are why I’ve often asked if it’s time for another fundraiser

But it sounds like 3-4K isn’t gonna be a panacea this time, our old setup is maxed out... and taking away a big chunk of ad revenue as you mentioned earlier just might make things worse

JMO
What if we just deleted the entire history of DC then, but allowed it to stay? That way we clear up the space but don’t lose the ad revenue.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 32
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Up