ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: What's your preference?
Chris Jones 94 54.34%
1st round draft pick + $20m of other players 74 42.77%
Some other option I will describe in the thread 3 1.73%
Polls are fun! 2 1.16%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll
Page 18 of 20
« First < 81415161718 1920 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Jones vs. 1st Rounder + $20m
DaFace 11:08 AM 02-18-2020
Obviously this is going to be a key discussion this offseason. On The Athletic's podcast (Time's Ours), Nate Taylor said that he's heard that there are multiple teams out there who would give us a 1st round pick for Jones (assuming we tag and trade him), and possibly more than that.

So just to lay out a simplified version of the options:

Option 1:
Chris Jones (probably around $20m per year)

Option 2:
1st round draft pick (cheap for 4-5 years)
$20m worth of other players

For context on how much other players might cost based on recent free agents we've signed:
Clark - $21m
Mathieu - $14m
Hitchens - $9m
Schwartz - $8m
Okafor - $6m

So...which way do we go?
[Reply]
WarChiefs89 02:57 PM 02-19-2020
So in this debate many of you are saying you'd rather have option #1 versus option #2...

Option 1 = Chris Jones on a new 5-yr contract with ~20 mil AAV

Option 2 =

- Choose 1 of these $12-$14 mil guys... Brandon Scherff (G), Byron Jones (CB), Markus Golden (OLB), Chris Harris (CB), Jamie Collins (OLB), Matt Skura (C), Cory Littleton (LB)

PLUS

- Choose 1 of these $4-6 mil guys... Michael Pierce (DT), Jordan Phillips (DT), Patrick Onwuasor (ILB)

PLUS

- Choose 1 (1st round pick)... Grant Delpit (S), Patrick Queen (LB), Henry Ruggs (WR), Kenneth Murray (LB), Kristian Fulton (CB), Xavier McKinney (S)

PLUS

- 3rd Round Pick for a rotational RB, slot WR, 3rd safety, depth CB etc.

I'm finding it hard to say Chris Jones. And he's admittedly awesome, but we can sign a legit proven player, a decent vet player, a 1st / 3rd round pick in a really nice draft class. This one isn't that hard to me.
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:00 PM 02-19-2020
1. We don’t know how much Jones is asking for.
2. Byron Jones is not getting $12-14 million a season. Try more. And I’m not paying a fucking OG that much money.
3. We have no idea what other teams are going to offer for Jones.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 03:03 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
We already have other DTs on the team, so you're not really replacing Jones - you're upgrading another position instead and saying that the DL is good enough. As a random example (not getting into whether he specifically is worth it), Spotrac thinks that Matt Judon would be worth $16m per year and would be a HUGE upgrade at OLB. So that makes the decision:

Jones

vs.

Judon plus 1st round draft pick (and possibly more)
We have 0 other DTs on this team that are in the realm of Chris Jones. Without his disruption our DE players will not have as much impact either. The drop off of DL play was incredibly noticeable when Jones was not in there.
[Reply]
Halfcan 03:04 PM 02-19-2020
Option 1 - Awesome, Big Dick Jones.

Option 2 - Overpaid, Free Agent Broke Dicks and some Draft Picks that have a huge chance to be a bust.

This one isn't that hard for me.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 03:04 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
not to mention spags likes to move d ends inside to rush on rush downs. so you dont truly have to replace him.
How well did that work in the games that Jones was injured? As I recall not worth a damn.
[Reply]
JakeF 03:10 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
How well did that work in the games that Jones was injured? As I recall not worth a damn.
We started playing Nnadi and Saunders in the middle and that solidified our run defense and protected our linebackers. Our defense really seemed to come together when Jones was hurt.

when jones came back Spags started playing him at DE on run downs.
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:11 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by JakeF:
We started playing Nnadi and Saunders in the middle and that solidified our run defense and protected our linebackers. Our defense really seemed to come together when Jones was hurt.

when jones came back Spags started playing him at DE on run downs.
Pennel solidified our run defense. Do you watch the games?
[Reply]
JakeF 03:25 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Pennel solidified our run defense. Do you watch the games?
everyone you arrogant ass.

You should go back to Pestilence, it fits better.
[Reply]
dirk digler 03:41 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
For those who are strongly advocating for signing Jones, does our experience with Houston not terrify you? He had 22 sacks, got paid, then proceeded to be hurt every year and never topped 10 sacks again. Sub in Eric Berry if you want another example.

What about Jones makes you confident that he's not going to fall apart similarly? I get the "draft picks are lottery tickets" take, but I don't understand how signing a guy like Jones to a huge contract is any different. And the former option comes with a bag of money.

No because Veach isn't Dorsey. I like for the most part how he has structured the contracts
[Reply]
BossChief 03:46 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
So then you’re getting less value for Jones because now you have to replace him.
If they trade Chris, it’s because they think he’s not worth whatever price his side is demanding...and that Saunders can become a disruptive pass rushing 3-tech that’s also good against the run. I do think there’s a chance that happens. That’s a gamble, though. If Daly feels he can develop Saunders into that kind of player, I could understand trading Chris for a package of picks like we got for Jared.

Let’s say they feel they can just bring back Pennel and have a very good DT rotation and they can get a first in the 13-18 range and a 2nd or early third...I could see that being valuable to Veach because a blue chip talent could fall to them at that range or they could use that pick to slide down into the mid 20s and adding another second rounder or a future first.

That strategy is a huge gamble, but could yield huge results.
[Reply]
dirk digler 03:49 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I hear what you're saying. But the counterpoint is maybe we should sell out to try to win one or two more now while we still have Kelce, Hill, Clark, Jones(?), Watkins(??), and HB in their primes - then go through a couple years' rebuild.

:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:52 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
If they trade Chris, it’s because they think he’s not worth whatever price his side is demanding...and that Saunders can become a disruptive pass rushing 3-tech that’s also good against the run. I do think there’s a chance that happens. That’s a gamble, though. If Daly feels he can develop Saunders into that kind of player, I could understand trading Chris for a package of picks like we got for Jared.

Let’s say they feel they can just bring back Pennel and have a very good DT rotation and they can get a first in the 13-18 range and a 2nd or early third...I could see that being valuable to Veach because a blue chip talent could fall to them at that range or they could use that pick to slide down into the mid 20s and adding another second rounder or a future first.

That strategy is a huge gamble, but could yield huge results.
I get all that and I’ll defer to Veach.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 03:53 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
No because Veach isn't Dorsey. I like for the most part how he has structured the contracts
He has said in interviews that he started structuring contracts with Mahomes second contract in mind the moment he became GM.

I am firmly in the we need to keep Chris Jones camp, but one thing we all need to keep in mind is that Jones hasn't demanded $20 million, and has stated that he wants to be a Kansas City Chief. I'm not saying he is going to take significantly less than fair market value, but as of right now we don't have any idea what his asking price is.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Sofa King 04:17 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by JakeF:
everyone you arrogant ass.

You should go back to Pestilence, it fits better.

[Reply]
TEX 04:26 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Option 1 - Awesome, Big Dick Jones.

Option 2 - Overpaid, Free Agent Broke Dicks and some Draft Picks that have a huge chance to be a bust.

This one isn't that hard for me.
Yep. He's a difference maker. Privides one hell of a pass rush up the middle and can play anywhere on the DL. There's maybe one or two other guys in the NFL besides Jones that can do what he does. This kind of player is in high demand on any defense and we have him. He can play all downs and you can do different things with him based on the situation. Other teams look at him and hope to get a similar type of player that can do some of what he can do. He's an exceptional player even when compared to the very best players in the league. I keep this player on my team.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 20
« First < 81415161718 1920 >
Up