ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 989 of 3903
« First < 489889939979985986987988989 9909919929939991039108914891989 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:13 PM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
That's the lesson to take away from all of this shit. I think it's time to bring the manufacturing of our medical devices and pharmaceuticals back to this country as a concern over national security.
Yeah.

Emerging from economic downturns often requires a catalyst. If you're lucky it doesn't demand a war.

But what could help us out in a BIG way is turning to our own industrial base to re-establish supply chains for a great deal many items we have farmed out over the last couple of decades.

I'm not saying we need to ensure that barbies and toy cars need to be made here, but pretty much anything we have contemplated having a 'strategic reserve' of - we should really be capable of producing en mass within our shores.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:13 PM 04-01-2020
I picture this guy as Big Daddy..

[Reply]
Pants 02:13 PM 04-01-2020
That's the lesson to take away from all of this shit. I think it's time to bring the manufacturing of our medical devices and pharmaceuticals back to this country as a concern over national security.
pete, do you really think it's as simple as that?
[Reply]
petegz28 02:13 PM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Thanks for reminding me my Oktoberfest trip to Munich is probably not gonna happen.
Octoberfest is for tossers and sheep shaggers......:-)
[Reply]
Bwana 02:13 PM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Not to mention they produce something like 80% of all pharmaceuticals or the raw materials to make those pharmaceuticals.
Yeah and that's something that needs to be addressed ASAP. We need to produce that here in the US. The fact the little sawed off pecker head over in China was threatening to withhold meds to the US, should have been a huge wakeup call.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:13 PM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Eh - you'd have just had the EU 80 years earlier and hubbed out of Berlin instead of Brussels.

The idea that Europe would've just become one giant "Greater Germany" is a complete fiction. They'd have instilled some sort of top-down imperial oversight with the respective world leaders maintaining their titles and most of their authority. FFS, they were all related. Wilhelm, George and Nicholas were cousins - you think they'd have been put on a wall and shot?

The Nazi's never come to power, the Soviet Union never happens (Nicholas was bending more towards Democracy and had approached Wilson regarding democratization efforts) and the history of Britain and France probably doesn't change substantially.

There's no argument in favor of the Germans winning WWII - but there are a bunch of REAL good arguments in favor of them winning WWI. There are plenty against it as well, but I don't think there's a clear answer here. Especially had they been able to effectuate a knockout blow early in the campaign rather than bleed Europe and Russia white for 4+ years.
We'd also likely have better beer.
[Reply]
Bearcat 02:14 PM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
:-)

I kinda wish they had won WWI sometimes. Don't you?
The Office Dwight GIF from Theoffice GIFs

[Reply]
petegz28 02:14 PM 04-01-2020
Nothing is ever as simple as we would like it to be but that doesn't mean we can't make significant steps in that direction.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 02:14 PM 04-01-2020
Hey lets bring all manufacturing to USA so prices of products can triple after so many Americans lost their jobs!!!
[Reply]
Donger 02:16 PM 04-01-2020
Eh - you'd have just had the EU 80 years earlier and hubbed out of Berlin instead of Brussels.

The idea that Europe would've just become one giant "Greater Germany" is a complete fiction. They'd have instilled some sort of top-down imperial oversight with the respective world leaders maintaining their titles and most of their authority. FFS, they were all related. Wilhelm, George and Nicholas were cousins - you think they'd have been put on a wall and shot?

The Nazi's never come to power, the Soviet Union never happens (Nicholas was bending more towards Democracy and had approached Wilson regarding democratization efforts) and the history of Britain and France probably doesn't change substantially.

There's no argument in favor of the Germans winning WWII - but there are a bunch of REAL good arguments in favor of them winning WWI. There are plenty against it as well, but I don't think there's a clear answer here. Especially had they been able to effectuate a knockout blow early in the campaign rather than bleed Europe and Russia white for 4+ years.
It might have. It might not have. I don't second-guess history.

Although, I remember once in history class in high school, and the idiot "teacher" asked, "Donger, what do you think caused WWII?" I looked up briefly, said "WWI" and went back to doodling.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 02:16 PM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Obsessed with this actor from the office are ye?
[Reply]
petegz28 02:17 PM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Hey lets bring all manufacturing to USA so prices of products can triple after so many Americans lost their jobs!!!
Do you just get off on being a dickhead or what? No one said ALL manufacturing. And there are ways to deal with costs. Please make good on your word an put me on iggy. Or are you just going to threaten to beat my ass again?
[Reply]
petegz28 02:18 PM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by Bwana:
Yeah and that's something that needs to be addressed ASAP. We need to produce that here in the US. The fact the little sawed off pecker head over in China was threatening to withhold meds to the US, should have been a huge wakeup call.
Look out now, PAToughGuy might tell you how stupid you are in saying this.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 02:18 PM 04-01-2020
Do you just get off on being a dickhead or what? No one said ALL manufacturing. And there are ways to deal with costs. Please make good on your word an put me on iggy. Or are you just going to threaten to beat my ass again?
I never threatened you, it was a joke. Also last post was just me being humorous. Stop being so sensitive.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 02:18 PM 04-01-2020
I saw someone that said "hey, y'know all that US debt that the Chinese hold? Tell 'em to **** themselves...."

I mean, I know in my heart of hearts that this is wildly simplistic and ultimately not a real answer for a variety of reasons. I mean, the major reason being that we had ostensibly told them to go **** themselves WELL before this. If China decided to call all their notes due, we'd have just told 'em "nah, you can come take it..."

But still - it's a cathartic thought.

Ultimately China had better tread real lightly for the foreseeable future. It wouldn't take much of a catalyst for the whole world to simultaneously decide that a regime change is in order. At this point even Russia wouldn't bother stepping in the middle.
I’m no expert but I think the Fed owns more debt than China. I think Japan does too. Doing something that creates uncertainty in the stability of the US promise to pay its debts (especially when it’s less than 5% of what’s held) probably wouldn’t work. Might make it harder and more expensive to borrow all that sweet infrastructure money.

But, again, I’m no expert.
[Reply]
Page 989 of 3903
« First < 489889939979985986987988989 9909919929939991039108914891989 > Last »
Up