ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 936 of 3903
« First < 436836886926932933934935936 937938939940946986103614361936 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 08:12 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
MLB has said they won't return with no crowds. At least that was the initial proposal agreed to between ownership and the MLBPA.

We'll see if they bend on that a little, but as it stands, MLB doesn't seem inclined to move forward if there are public health restrictions still in place.
I'm with MLB on this one. Sports with no fans would be stupid.
[Reply]
Bwana 08:14 AM 03-31-2020
MLB has said they won't return with no crowds. At least that was the initial proposal agreed to between ownership and the MLBPA.

We'll see if they bend on that a little, but as it stands, MLB doesn't seem inclined to move forward if there are public health restrictions still in place.
I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL does the same thing, depending on were the numbers are at that point.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:15 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk:
I feel like the media has been painting a more doom and gloom picture the last few days so this is refreshing to read. Thank you.
CBS used Italian footage for a NY hospital... :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:16 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by Loneiguana:
The biggest sign will be when new deaths slow down.
Doesn't every model show that we are 10-14 days from the peak hospitalizations in the US? But, thats not even a good measure.

Okay lets say, 10-14 days the current hotspots will peak. What about the rural and smaller towns. Those rural hospitals are just not capable of handling more than one or two cases, if that. It may not be the numbers of NY but per capita and the grief will be higher. People will know each other that are dying in the smaller towns.
[Reply]
penguinz 08:17 AM 03-31-2020

I heard on radio the other day that the players are also wanting to be paid and accrue the years playing time even if there is not a season. That is BS.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:18 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
I'm with MLB on this one. Sports with no fans would be stupid.
It would be a little surreal, but it would also give people at home something to grab onto a bit.

And man, time is unbeaten and untied. A guy like Justin Verlander or Zack Greinke or even Clayton Kershaw - those dudes are looking at just a few years left in the league. Or at/near their peaks.

Verlander has his ring(s) but Kershaw and Greinke, if you tell them that they just don't get a shot at it this year because games without fans would be weird, you're taking away one of their last, best shots at the culmination of a lifelong dream.

And then you look at cap sports like the NBA or NHL, you've got teams that made decisions with their cap for this season that are somewhat 'all-in' and now to what effect? The Lakers only have 2-3 years left with LeBron at/near this level. The Blues have pushed hard against their cap this year (likely to the detriment of the next few years) in an attempt to defend their cup.

I think if you can play games without fans in a way that doesn't pose a direct health risk to the players (rapid testing should allow for that), I think you should go ahead and play. It would be good for the national mood, IMO and it's a better solution for those players than just telling them they won't get a shot.

Everything's just a question of finding the best of bad options at this point, but I think there are enough factors weighing in favor of playing that all leagues should be looking for ways to do so.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 08:19 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Doesn't every model show that we are 10-14 days from the peak hospitalizations in the US? But, thats not even a good measure. Okay, 10-14 days the current hotspots will peak. What about the rural and smaller towns. Those rural hospitals are just not capable of handling more than one or two cases, if that. It may not be the numbers of NY but per capita and the grief will be higher. People will know each other that are dying in the smaller towns.
That's the biggest issue in the US. We are so large and have 50 plus different reactions and timetables to this virus. NY may start to slow down, but what about one of the 10 or 9 states that havent done a thing yet?

Anyway, most of the models show that you see a leveling off when you see deaths NOT doubling every 3 days.

That's what I'm watching for.
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:20 AM 03-31-2020
It would be a little surreal, but it would also give people at home something to grab onto a bit.

And man, time is unbeaten and untied. A guy like Justin Verlander or Zack Greinke or even Clayton Kershaw - those dudes are looking at just a few years left in the league. Or at/near their peaks.

Verlander has his ring(s) but Kershaw and Greinke, if you tell them that they just don't get a shot at it this year because games without fans would be weird, you're taking away one of their last, best shots at the culmination of a lifelong dream.

And then you look at cap sports like the NBA or NHL, you've got teams that made decisions with their cap for this season that are somewhat 'all-in' and now to what effect? The Lakers only have 2-3 years left with LeBron at/near this level. The Blues have pushed hard against their cap this year (likely to the detriment of the next few years) in an attempt to defend their cup.

I think if you can play games without fans in a way that doesn't pose a direct health risk to the players (rapid testing should allow for that), I think you should go ahead and play. It would be good for the national mood, IMO and it's a better solution for those players than just telling them they won't get a shot.

Everything's just a question of finding the best of bad options at this point, but I think there are enough factors weighing in favor of playing that all leagues should be looking for ways to do so.
Every fucking bit of this.
[Reply]
Donger 08:21 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk:
I feel like the media has been painting a more doom and gloom picture the last few days so this is refreshing to read. Thank you.
I'd like someone better with math to confirm or correct. Italy is showing fewer daily case day over day, too.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:23 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by penguinz:
I heard on radio the other day that the players are also wanting to be paid and accrue the years playing time even if there is not a season. That is BS.
Doesn't bother me.

MLB players have guaranteed contracts and have done nothing in violation of them. Why shouldn't they get paid? The service time thing is a weird question because of how easily it can be manipulated. I don't really know how to address that one. For instance, should a guy like Wander Franco or Dylan Carlson, who were almost certainly going to end up on a 25 man rosters this year, get a full season worth of service time when teams were almost certainly going to wait until June to call them up? Luis Robert is a bit of a moot point because he signed a major league deal w/ his extension, but he'd have been another really interesting question.

And then someone like Rangel Ravelo or Austin Gomber, who are technically on the 25 man right now for STL but most assuredly would've been riding the Memphis shuttle back and forth for most of the year, should they get the full season? I think their argument would be that if they got hurt on day 1 and missed the full year, they would have, so why wouldn't this count the same way? But again, in a 'regular' world, Ravelo would've spent less time on an MLB roster this year than Carlson would've, but because Carlson isn't on the 40 man right now, he'll get nothing and Ravelo gets a full season?

Service time's just a real tricky question and I don't think there's a good answer.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 08:24 AM 03-31-2020
I get that doctors etc needed masks... But if everyone would have started wearing them wouldnt there be less infected, thus more PPE for medical professionals?
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:24 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Scroll down about half way. You will see the graph named Daily New Cases. The graph shows that the new cases per day is slowing from the previous 10 days.
Its also worth noting that apparently yesterday's spike in deaths was related to Sunday's reporting being inaccurate due to NY not reporting completely on Sunday. If you average the 2 days its 468 and its a decrease from Saturday.

Originally Posted by :
March 30 (GMT)
Due to delayed and incomplete reporting from New York State, we had to make adjustments to yesterday's totals in order to maintain the correct attribution of historical figures. US figures for Sunday, March 29 could still be incomplete.

[Reply]
Bugeater 08:25 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
I'd like someone better with math to confirm or correct. Italy is showing fewer daily case day over day, too.
I ran the numbers and they're all looking good. EVERYONE GET YOUR ASSES BACK TO WORK NOW!
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:26 AM 03-31-2020

I think the normalcy of baseball games after 9/11 did help the country move on. It was important. But, in this case, why would baseball risk it unless giving the all clear from scientists and the government to play baseball?

Question for the lawyer in ya:
If any business is open in America and not considered "essential" and your employees or customers catch coronavirus attending or patronizing their business, are they at legal risk of getting sued?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:28 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
I get that doctors etc needed masks... But if everyone would have started wearing them wouldnt there be less infected, thus more PPE for medical professionals?
What I've read is that you would need a BILLION masks in the USA to pull that off.
[Reply]
Page 936 of 3903
« First < 436836886926932933934935936 937938939940946986103614361936 > Last »
Up